Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ***Bot invasion on the forums***

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Re: ***Bot invasion on the forums***

I've deleted and banned soooo many lately.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    I've deleted and banned soooo many lately.
    lol how are they making accounts?

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I'm not sure if they are actually bots or not. We have a double bot protection scheme in place so. Both a captcha style and and question and answer field. I have read that they might not be bots at all, but actual humans involved. I believe there are some companies that are paying people (in China and India primarily) 10 cents or so for each post they make.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

maybe set up some kind of new member needs approval until "X" number of posts setup? I see that on other forums a lot, where your first 10 posts or so need to be reviewed by a moderator before they get displayed

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Only problem is, they need people to moderate.

Is there a way in vBulletin where we can do the "force initial posts until approval"? That way, the spam (be there any) is caught in one area.

I think the concept of all post moderation is a bit annoying for both staffers and legit-ers, though. Do like the idea of no links or pix 'til some sort of approval.
    Perhaps also carrying it out to some of the other info? (IM stuff, homepage)

Someone MAY have been able to poke around our configuration to make a page to auto-register themselves.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

I was just saying in one of the threads that was necro'ed by a spammer. They are getting really strange.

I saw one that was all in Asian fonts
    One that was about Facial Care products (On a modding forum??? talk about poor product placement)
    Then I just saw one that was all about Fractals with random links put in the paragraph

I would think if real humans were involved they could at least make it seem on-topic.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Nah .. they don't care about on topic.. they are looking for clicks. Most of them probably just cut and paste so they can get as many posts as possible in a short amount of time.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    maybe set up some kind of new member needs approval until "X" number of posts setup? I see that on other forums a lot, where your first 10 posts or so need to be reviewed by a moderator before they get displayed
    yeah, but that makes it rough, maybe the first post or 3? and have it go to a thread where anybody with 30+ posts can approve it? that way, they get their post in relatively quick, but to send it to the forum they want, without just mods having to approve it, more community based, and then they can get a welcome as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Only problem is, they need people to moderate.

Is there a way in vBulletin where we can do the "force initial posts until approval"? That way, the spam (be there any) is caught in one area.

I think the concept of all post moderation is a bit annoying for both staffers and legit-ers, though. Do like the idea of no links or pix 'til some sort of approval.
    Perhaps also carrying it out to some of the other info? (IM stuff, homepage)

Someone MAY have been able to poke around our configuration to make a page to auto-register themselves.
    i kinda agree, but with my said idea above, it relieves some of those issues. i do like the idea of no photos or links till at least 15 posts or so. =)
    so if they are people, they have to jump through more hoops, effectively making more time for the botters, finding other easier sites to post on. so no more floods on ours.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all