Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314

Thread: Project: Unnamed

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Unnamed

Amagawd, update.

I told you it'd be in late April!

Anywho, no pictures. Mainly because I didn't have my camera near.

Here's what I did:

-Minor bondo sanding
    -Found an 80mm fanbox on another case I have
    -Got rid of the built-in standoffs (don't want to short out a motherboard!)
    -Filed the mesh that's going in the front intake
    -Cut off the built-in fan grille that was on the back of the case
    -Perforated another piece of metal for something (that'd be a bit too hard to explain)
    -Decided that I want to make a remote start (and found buttons to do so)

I've been thinking about my past plans for the project, and where It's going. so far, those two match up, but I've been having some thoughts to drop the "Clean & simple" case mod for something with a bit more to look at. Drive bay covers are a must either way, since they can look either clean and simple or nice and ornate.

I've also been considering the theme. Black with Dark Blue and Silver seems pretty good, but I've been toying around with the idea of making the blue into green instead. I probably won't do that, though.

Anywho, I might take pictures later. I have to organize my workbench (what a surprise), organize the extra cases I have (what a surprise), vacuum all the steel, bondo, paint, etc (what a surprise), and hunt down aluminium stereo knobs.

And no, I won't tell you what the knobs are for (except that it won't just be case feet).

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

Can't wait for some actual pictures lol but it sounds pretty good.
    - Computer-Geek

Alright. Ask and ye shall receive.

Just let me upload the mofos. They're freakin' heug.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs

Ahh, perforation. It's kind of like notebook paper, saying "Tear here". Except it's calling to my dremel and saying "Come and get some". Had to perforate it with a drill (that took two battery swaps & lots of arm hurt-age).

And this is why you don't drill holes... on a plastic foldable table. It's not the first abuse this table has seen, however. It's also met Dremel attacks, file attacks, and hacksaw attacks.

Note the standoff holes. The larger ones are the ones where the standoffs were built into the motherboard tray (and I drilled them off). The bottom standoff hole was the worst -- it bent the motherboard tray near it and I had to use my 5-lb sledgehammer (smallest hammer I have) and my file to flatten the metal back out).

The front, from the inside. That big square hole is going to be "patched" essentially with that peice of metal that I'm cutting out (the perforated one).

See that hole? The round one? On the back? That used to have a built-in fan grille on it. I changed that.

Same thing, different angle.

The 80mm fanbox I found in another case. Nifty.

I don't normally like Black Plastic fans, but in a nice metal fanbox, it looks pretty cool.

And that's what it looks like mounted on the case (although I didn't get a shot from the inside where you can actually see the fanbox).

LED's and their respective connectors. They're for Power, HD Activity, and something else (too lazy to look/not really important)

Powah button!

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

Nice work!
    - Computer-Geek

I love when people recycle old cases to make their mods, some awesome work have come out of those oldies, nice work keep it up.

I am going to be dropping this mod in favor of my two ammo can mods and probably Tiberium too.

Rather than just junking it, I'll be willing to ship it to anybody who is willing to pay for shipping. You'll get the case and everything that attaches to it (top panel, side panels, and front panel). As well as the U-channel moulding if I can find it.

Send me a PM and we'll work something out.

But for anybody interested: Keep in mind that the side panel that the window was cut out of got bent then bent back and doesn't go on very easily. I'm sure with some prescision hammering on an anvil or other hard metal surface that would be fine.

If I don't get any PM's by next friday, I'm gonna throw it out.

-Omega