Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Sound Card is Better for Me?

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Which Sound Card is Better for Me?

So, Creative Labs has now released a new series of sound cards, the Recon3D series, in the form of these two sound cards here. They seem to be very awesome, but I still wonder if I should remain with the X-Fi series, in the form of this card, when I eventually upgrade to a new computer. The Recon3D series has a dedicated audio processor, which is very awesome, but it lacks the onboard memory of the X-Fi series, which is very odd to me, and it seems to be designed specifically for video games, rather than for all purposes, as is the X-Fi series, and I play movies and music more often that I play video games, so I would prefer to have a sound card that is suited for all audio tasks.

What does everyone else have to say on this subject? Which series of sound card would be better for someone who uses their computer to perform a wide array of audio tasks? I eagerly await your responses.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: Which Sound Card is Better for Me?

Get an ASUS. Cheap one is still better than Creative's line. Also, Win7 doesn't support extra audio processors, it's still going through the CPU. Not sure about how the Linux kernels handle it.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    Get an ASUS. Cheap one is still better than Creative's line. Also, Win7 doesn't support extra audio processors, it's still going through the CPU. Not sure about how the Linux kernels handle it.
    Will proper drivers be able to help the sound card to function properly?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    It's picking up both on my pci-e Azuentec and my on board and my old PCI creative card?

I've been running my games on my azuentec, with the other processor running my music(Azuentecx2). and the third (Creative) handles television audio and my on board(RealTEK HD) is dedicated to system sounds for about 2 years now just fine?

Default arrow to the knee www.thebestcasescenario.com

can't seem to pm you OP.
    Last edited by Airbozo; 01-12-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: removed spam link...

Lol... I'm with Kayin, a cheap asus is way better
    Not dead yet

Ultimately, I purchased the X-Fi titanium Fatal1ty professional card that I mentioned in my previous post, as I am very fond of Creative Labs and their new series is meant for gaming.

However, I do have a question about it: before I install the new sound card, will I need to uninstall or remove the drivers of my previous card, which is also a Creative Labs card? I recall that when I upgraded from a Radeon HD 4000 series video card to a Radeon HD 6000 series video card, I did not need to alter any software, as both cards used the same set of drivers and utility software, so I am hoping that that shall also be the case with these sound cards. Can anyone who has worked with Creative Labs sound cards offer me any insight into this situation?

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

The utilities should be the same.

Seriously, dink around with EAX some time.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Seriously, dink around with EAX some time.
    If I play any games that use EAX, I shall definitely do so, but I have not been playing very many video games since I started college in 2005; I graduated in 2009, and I still do play some games, but my I have lost much of interest in video games, as I prefer to read books, hike outside, or play board games and card games. The sound card shall be most excellent for listening to music and watching movies, for which I use my computer regularly.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

There is an EAX control panel integrated. When my SBLive was working, my brother would mess around with the voice distorter, echo/reverb effects, etc.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta