Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Sound Card is Better for Me?

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Re: Which Sound Card is Better for Me?

The sound card that I ordered arrived today, and I am actually surprised that it so very small and lightweight, especially in comparison to my current video card, but I am certain that it shall produce excellent and high-quality sound. I also am certain that it would be a wise idea to remove the drivers for my old sound card before I install the new sound card, but what is the best method for performing that action? Should I do so through the Device Manager, or use a utility program, such as Driver Sweeper?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Just remove the drivers and utilities, shut down, install the new card, turn back on, install drivers and utilities, reboot.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Just remove the drivers and utilities, shut down, install the new card, turn back on, install drivers and utilities, reboot.
    I shall do that; thank you very much.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

I installed the new sound card, and it apparently was working very well, but I noticed that "Sound Blaster X-Fi" appeared twice in the list of programs installed on my computer, so I uninstalled both instances of it and then re-installed it, but now the sound card is not producing any sound, and my computer is not even detecting the device. What should I do now? Any help that anyone here can offer would be supremely appreciated.

EDIT: I uninstalled all the software again, and now my sound card is producing sound again, but the advanced features, most importantly the 10-band graphic equalizer, are not available, so I shall again install everything and hope that that is able to remedy the situation.

EDIT #2: I re-installed the sound card's software again, and it functions perfectly well. I suppose that the difference in sound quality between this new card and my previous card is minimal, but I did notice that I do not need to adjust levels of the equalizer quite as high as I did before to achieve the same quality sound, plus, the fact that this new card uses a PCI-express interface, rather than a traditional PCI interface, shall ensure that it can communicate faster and more efficiently with my computer's CPU and shall help it to remain future-proof, as the conventional PCI interface is being phased out in favor of the PCI-express interface. One other benefit is that this new sound card is far away from my video card and therefore does not hinder its airflow; my previous sound card blocked the airflow of my video card because of limited expansion slots on my motherboard; as a side note, my next motherboard shall definitely be one with a greater number of PCI-express slots. Overall, I am now very satisfied with my purchase, and shall definitely keep this new sound card for as long as is possible.

Can't wait for motherboards with 112 lanes....

Tri.fecta

Can't wait for motherboards with 112 lanes....
    Forgive me for needing to ask, but how many lanes do most current motherboards have?

Max I've heard is low-mid 40s.

Tri.fecta

Max I've heard is low-mid 40s.
    I see; in that case, motherboards with a hundred or more lanes would indeed be a great advancement.

As for my previous sound card, I shall install it in on of the other computers in my household, as I doubt that the card is worth much money currently, and the other computer does not have a dedicated sound card.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    Get an ASUS. Cheap one is still better than Creative's line. Also, Win7 doesn't support extra audio processors, it's still going through the CPU. Not sure about how the Linux kernels handle it.
    Asus is the best. asus all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    Lol... I'm with Kayin, a cheap asus is way better
    my thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    Ultimately, I purchased the X-Fi titanium Fatal1ty professional card that I mentioned in my previous post, as I am very fond of Creative Labs and their new series is meant for gaming.

However, I do have a question about it: before I install the new sound card, will I need to uninstall or remove the drivers of my previous card, which is also a Creative Labs card? I recall that when I upgraded from a Radeon HD 4000 series video card to a Radeon HD 6000 series video card, I did not need to alter any software, as both cards used the same set of drivers and utility software, so I am hoping that that shall also be the case with these sound cards. Can anyone who has worked with Creative Labs sound cards offer me any insight into this situation?
    i have had nothing but trouble from creative labs. not only are their drivers crap, the quality of their cards are crap, and everything else about them is crap including interference. i had the xfi fatality whatever ya call it, with the front panel, and everything. "Can anyone who has worked with Creative Labs sound cards offer me any insight into this situation?" don't buy them ever? lol

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    I installed the new sound card, and it apparently was working very well, but I noticed that "Sound Blaster X-Fi" appeared twice in the list of programs installed on my computer, so I uninstalled both instances of it and then re-installed it, but now the sound card is not producing any sound, and my computer is not even detecting the device. What should I do now? Any help that anyone here can offer would be supremely appreciated.

EDIT: I uninstalled all the software again, and now my sound card is producing sound again, but the advanced features, most importantly the 10-band graphic equalizer, are not available, so I shall again install everything and hope that that is able to remedy the situation.

EDIT #2: I re-installed the sound card's software again, and it functions perfectly well. I suppose that the difference in sound quality between this new card and my previous card is minimal, but I did notice that I do not need to adjust levels of the equalizer quite as high as I did before to achieve the same quality sound, plus, the fact that this new card uses a PCI-express interface, rather than a traditional PCI interface, shall ensure that it can communicate faster and more efficiently with my computer's CPU and shall help it to remain future-proof, as the conventional PCI interface is being phased out in favor of the PCI-express interface. One other benefit is that this new sound card is far away from my video card and therefore does not hinder its airflow; my previous sound card blocked the airflow of my video card because of limited expansion slots on my motherboard; as a side note, my next motherboard shall definitely be one with a greater number of PCI-express slots. Overall, I am now very satisfied with my purchase, and shall definitely keep this new sound card for as long as is possible.
    like i said, and you found out, they are a pain.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Myself i think it depends on the sound system you have to determine the choice of sound card to pick..I'll use the Logitech Z-5500 as a good borderline..If you have this system them your able to get away with using 1 of many audiophile cards on the market which are classified as a highend soundcard. But if your sound system isnt up to par them id go with one of Creative cards and may i ad Creative with my experiences dont make a audiophile card...The very best cards on the market are Asus Or Omega..