View Poll Results: How far do you drive in an average day?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • < 50 miles

28 60.87%
  • 50 - 75 miles

7 15.22%
  • 75 - 100 miles

4 8.70%
  • 100 - 125 miles

4 8.70%
  • 125 - 150 miles

1 2.17%
  • > 150 miles

2 4.35%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How far do you drive in a day?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default How far do you drive in a day?

Hey all, been a bit out of touch for a while due to my new job and just getting out of the habit of checking the boards. I've also been getting heavily interested in electric vehicle tech recently, and have a few projects planned in that arena (watch for buildlogs starting in Misc Projects over the next couple months). Along those lines, I wanted to get some perspective from people who aren't necessarily heavily interested in EV tech...yet... We'll see what I can do about that.

So, on to the question. How far do you drive in an average day? Not talking about the occasional long trip, just your average daily driving habits.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: How far do you drive in a day?

...I don't drive....
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Anodized

Being at contractor I drive almost everyday. But, when it's winter it is reduced quit a bit. During the summer it is a lot more. So, I said 50 - 75 miles a day.

On a typical day it's about 35-40.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Usually zero miles a day as I walk almost everywhere. During the summer I take my motorcycle to work and back every day, which ends up being about 20 miles total give or take a mile. On Sundays I go to church and back totaling about six miles.

I'm interested in electric vehicles. I would love to do some homemade conversions or hybrids if I had a welder and some extra money. As it is, my wife and I have one car and we're fine with it that way.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Interesting; getting lower numbers than I thought I would see. Though, shouldn't be that surprising, come to think of it; got a fairly long commute myself and I only average ~60 miles per day. I've been logging my mileage since 2011-08-29, and have only had 11 days since then that I've gone over 75 miles...and only 5 that I've gone over 100.

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    I'm interested in electric vehicles. I would love to do some homemade conversions or hybrids if I had a welder and some extra money. As it is, my wife and I have one car and we're fine with it that way.
    Good to find another one. My big project won't be culminating for about another 2 years (shooting for spring 2014, mainly for financial reasons), but I have a few intermediate ones that should be interesting.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Daily commute is 35 miles one way so I voted 50-75. Carpool a lot with the SO or ride the motorcycle when it's not raining or icy.

Typical hybrids get less mpg than my motorcycle and just a tad better than the SO's Subaru, due to the hills around here. An electric vehicle would have to get a couple hundred miles on a charge for it to be feasible for my needs.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

i would say 100-125 miles. only because i love to drive. i constantly find myself putting on over 100 miles a day, even though i work 8 miles away. the worst part about it? i live in california, where gas is more expensive. i drop a fair amount of my paycheck into gas. the other day i drove 300 miles, just to go see a lake with my friend, haha. i bought my car in late october, with 134,500 miles. i just clicked above 138k. i drove over 1k miles in the first month alone...
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Custom Title Honors

i drive just about 80 miles a day for work. with the gas mileage i get, if take the current gas price and multiply by 100, that's what it costs me to drive to and from work each month.

but, on the subject of electric cars, a few weeks ago i finally got the chance to talk to the dude around here with the green tesla roadster. he says it gets 200 miles on a charge. he also says that you can only get the rated 240 miles per charge by driving below 50mph and like a granny. but what fun is that?

i asked about how much power it takes to charge it. he says it takes about the same amount of power as running your house for 4 or 5 days. so if i take my current power consumption and figure out 4 days worth of electricity, it comes out to be more expensive to charge a tesla roadster than to buy gas for my truck each month.

my whole point is that right now the tesla is the most advanced and efficient of the electric vehicles and it is still more expensive to drive (not counting the $100k price tag) than my tacoma. electric power has a long way to go before it is cost effective enough to be viable.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I'm probably on the heavy side when it comes to average daily mileage - to and from work is only about 7 miles, and running the wife to and from her work probably doubles that, but it's AT work that I really pile up the miles. Most mornings I'll pick up and/or drop off one or two cars for the bodyshop which can be anything from 20 to 50 miles alone. Then I start delivering for the paintshop side of the business - that again can be anything from 30 to 70 miles a day - add to that the fact that 4 days of the week I'll pick up or drop off my son which is roughly a 30 mile round trip, and finally I'll have a computer job or two most weeks which involve a few miles in pick up and drop off. Then comes the weekend and my miles drop like a stone, but yeah, I'm probably well above average heh.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey