Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Learning EV v0.1

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Learning EV v0.1

Bit of an update on this an v1.0.

I was busy all weekend with some friends from work, but got in a bit of time on the controller on...Monday? Tuesday? something... I think I got it working, but the motor I was testing it on is a bit..slow to respond? Also, I misread the spec and got the wrong value pot for the throttle. I need to work out getting the hall-effect throttle on the scooter working with it anyway though, so I'm thinking I'll just get that working for testing rather than bother finding a 1M pot.

On the v1.0 front, I got a line on a GS1100GL. Going to take a look at it on Saturday, and likely picking it up then. Full title, so no worries there, and it'll have way more space for the components (mainly for the batteries) than the 450 at not much more weight. Plus, it apparently actually even works now! Needs some carb work, but I'm thinking I might get it road-worthy and ride it for a bit before stripping the ICE off and converting it.

It is a shaft drive, which is interesting but apparently quite a lot less efficient than a chain drive, so I'll probably be pulling that and replacing it with a chain drive.

...and then I'll have a full, functioning, GS1100 drivetrain lying around...I'm sure I can find something interesting to do with it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Give it to me?

You find any leads on chain drive bikes I can put historic tags on, lemme know!
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

I actually found a decent variety on CL. If you just search for 'project', it'll give you an interesting read.

Here's a couple I passed up that look like they wouldn't take much work (none on the 650, but it's also more expensive).
    http://york.craigslist.org/mcy/2812577453.html
    http://york.craigslist.org/mcy/2851714861.html

EDIT:
    ..actually, I think that first link is a shaft-drive...
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

That second looks decent. I never tried looking in other states.

Regarding the carbs (Sorry I missed your post), I really don't know a ton about jap bike carbs. I could hook you up if it had a S&S Super E on it. Haha.

Heck, if you want to try and mess with it one day, we can get together and try to tear it apart. Carburetors are pretty simple after you get passed the voodoo of it all. Only a couple things to really fail, and unless the housing itself is damaged we should be able to fix it. Biggest part will be getting rebuild kits if we find damaged internals.

There are upgrade options out there. The first to that come to mind are higher end Mikuni units, and Lectrons. Problem is both will be pricey, and will probably need to fab work to install, with no real gains.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Regarding the carbs (Sorry I missed your post), I really don't know a ton about jap bike carbs. I could hook you up if it had a S&S Super E on it. Haha.

Heck, if you want to try and mess with it one day, we can get together and try to tear it apart. Carburetors are pretty simple after you get passed the voodoo of it all. Only a couple things to really fail, and unless the housing itself is damaged we should be able to fix it. Biggest part will be getting rebuild kits if we find damaged internals.
    Yeah, will have to set that up sometime. The 'voodoo' aspect you mention is really a big part of the problem, tbh. I feel like everything I get into ends up having one aspect that remains a complete mystery to my...with computers it's printers, with ICE it's carbs. I can explain in excruciating detail how they work, but if one actually breaks, god help us all...
    --Benjamin Franklin