Thread: Recommendations for a Portable Media Player/Boombox?

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Recommendations for a Portable Media Player/Boombox?

I am seeking to purchase a device that can produce high-quality music but is also portable, as my computer produces excellent sound, but it is not portable, and my .mp3 player is portable, but does not produce the best-quality sound.

These three devices have caught my attention, as they are visually-impressive, have received largely positive reviews, and seem to have many features, including inputs for modern devices, but I do not wish to limit myself to one brand, and also wish to receive feedback and advice from the other users of this forum before making a purchase.

I am seeking a device for the purposes of both providing background music for when I am relaxing, reading, or engaging in general conversation, and for providing music for parties and gatherings, that can also be easily transported when doing so is necessary, that produces high-quality sound, and can receive input from FM radio and any audio device that uses a 3.5 mm connector. Since I shall not be even considering a purchase until I can afford to do so, price is irrelevant to me. Does anyone here have an recommendations? I await your responses.

Also, why is it that many music-playing devices have interfaces that are specifically designed for IPods and IPads? I know that they are arguably the most popular music-playing devices in existence currently, but they are not the only such devices in existence, so I would like to see greater support for non-Apple music-playing devices. What does everyone else here say about that?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: Recommendations for a Portable Media Player/Boombox?

My recommendation: Build your own. Could start with a nice set of Logitech 5.1 speakers with subwoofer. Build a custom case to carry them in, and include a means of powering it if you want to take it to the park or something.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

The TDK stuff looks awesome, but I've heard it in person and it lacks any presence. The sound is just empty and dead. They look great though.

I would go with TLHarrell and say the best bet really is to build your own or find an old boombox from the 80s or 90s and retrofit it to take a 3.5mm input.

There's a pretty decent guide at metkumods. There's lots of other pretty fun stuff there too. I would check that out before deciding.

And I would also check some pawn shops for old boom boxes. Sadly, there's actually a pretty big collector market for them, but they just have that look, you know?

I shall admit that I had not considered building my own media player, but I do appreciate the suggestion; D_Stilgar, that example that you provided was very awesome. I would definitely like to engage in such a project as that at some time in the future, although I am certain that I shall need to conduct some research, to better understand what components to use and how to assemble them, before I pursue such an undertaking.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

After much thought and deliberation, I have decided to make my own stereo/boombox using aluminum plate with diamond pattern as the material for the case of the devices and the components of a car stereo system for the internal devices (i.e., a receiver with digital console and stereo speakers). This project shall likely be expensive, so I shall not pursue until I can afford to do so, but when I do, I shall likely post it here, to allow everyone else to share in my experience.