Thread: Windows Home Server 2011

Anodized

Default Windows Home Server 2011

Anyone using it? Any tips?

Since it seems somewhat unpopular but the price has dropped below $50 for an OEM copy I decided to give it a go. From what I've read it will do everything I need it to, and better yet, it's noob-friendly. No, not for me...for everyone else on the home network.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Windows Home Server 2011

I am about to start using it in my new server. You can check out wegotserved.com for some awesome tuts.

Anodized

Yes, I have that one bookmarked.

As a "prosumer" I haven't had much chance to mess around with server grade hardware. I still don't, but this seems like a good introduction to at least the basic functionality of a commercial server. Very much looking forward to the experience.

Custom Title Honors

i've been using whs 2011 since it was released.

basically i just stream video and audio from it and store files. lol, i guess that's all a server really does anyway right?

so, at first i didn't like the idea of having to remote log in to do anything on it, but the provided dashboard isn't too bad at all.

it seams to stream everything just fine and i'm only running it on a dual core atom mobo with 2g of ram.

my remote pcs access it just fine. i use xbmc, vlc player, and sometimes windows entertainment center to stream media from it. most of my video files are iso's and they work flawlessly.

so, over all i am quite pleased with it and once you get used to the file structure (didn't take me long) then it's quite easy to use.

when you install it, it tells you how to install the remote access controls to other computers. they are only needed for administering the server, not for general access.

Anodized

Good info!

So, is typical access via a browser? I'm still reading about all the add-ins, such as AntiVirus, etc.

Custom Title Honors

yes and no. it is designed to be run headless, but you actually browse to it initially and then it basically gives you a link to the remote access installer on the server itself.

to access your files though, you just browse to it through your regular window.

of course you have to set up the users before you can just browse your files.