Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scratch-build plexi keyboard?

Default Re: Scratch-build plexi keyboard?

Take a photo of the keyboard before disassembly. Open it up in GIMP or Photoshop and turn the brightness way up so it's like 10% visible, 90% white. Print that out and you can sketch over top of it as a guide.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

I've got autocad and access to a laser cutter. The only thing is, the laser cutter is for school work only, so I always try and sneak my personal stuff in with my school stuff when cutting. It works pretty well most of the time, and I can also do "portfolio stuff," but I just don't want to abuse it and get on the shop foreman's bad side.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

My shop teacher's bad side?

It's ugly.

I learned that one the semi-easy way.

Some kid was saying "Your class stinks, your rules suck", etc, and meant it.
    AND was being deliberately reckless.

Sad part is? It didn't faze the kid, despite the fact that he exploded. He seemed about ready to slug the kid hard. (only thing that stopped him was the realization that it would cost him his job)

I weep for my generation.
    (While there are some good people, I weep with them.)
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Thar's my idea for flexi-keys made out of only acrylic, the two pieces on either side would flex up and down whenever you pressed it.

But like i said i'm not exactly sure it would be the most durable thing ever constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    I've got autocad and access to a laser cutter. The only thing is, the laser cutter is for school work only, so I always try and sneak my personal stuff in with my school stuff when cutting. It works pretty well most of the time, and I can also do "portfolio stuff," but I just don't want to abuse it and get on the shop foreman's bad side.
    I have Autocad 2000 and a laser cutter in my garage. Might have to cut a test sample of the key tonight just for kicks. I don't think that geometry will work.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

I'll try to download ACAD tonight.

Tri.fecta

A good article to read http://hackaday.com/2012/02/15/build...-from-scratch/ if you haven't seen it already.

Tri.fecta

Saw this on Adafruit's blog today. Thought it would be worth looking into as far as making a piece of sheet material flexible enough to press.

Also, that would make for some sick looking interface for my TRON theme build. I'll have to think over what additional buttons on the case would be for. I'd probably render it in frosted plexi with blue or UV LED lighting.