Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ibm 5150

Custom Title Honors

Default ibm 5150 - COMPLETED!

i didn't see an intro section here, so i'll just jump right into my only complete mod so far (other than just building my own pcs of course).

so, i've had this old ibm 5150 for years that i've been wanting to stuff with modern hardware. it's a big case, but because of the odd dimensions and placement of components, nothing really fits quite right. i had to wait for mobo technology to get small enough and affordable enough to fit.

so here's the specs:

intel mini-itx mobo with atom 330
    2g ddr2 ram
    200g sata hard drive
    pata dvd burner
    250w mini-itx power supply
    aero-cool multi-function panel with removable hard drive.

the first thing i had to do was cut the i/o panel from another case and mount it in the back of the ibm. this was necessary since leaving a gaping hole in the back was unacceptable to me.

the mini-itx is a perfect fit behind the 5.25" drive bays. eventually i want to swap it out for a more powerful mobo that uses a nice amd processor at around 3ghz.

originally i had a dvd rom and a dvd burner. they sat side by side and the aero-cool panel sat above the left dvd rom.

with no real place to mount the hard drive, i was forced to just drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the case and mount it on it's side. same thing with the power supply. i spent a lot of time researching dimensions before i settled on the one i did. because of space constraints, i had to mount the ps up front and add in a new socket for the power cord in back.

here are the original pics.

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: ibm 5150

recently i have found some good sites that have given me ideas for future mods and i found out about hardware that i didn't think of before. so i ordered up a hard drive cage that uses two 5.25 bays and has a built in fan and filter. this was perfect for my hard drive mounting issue. it served two purposes. 1 was to give me a place to mount the hd better and the other was to give me an intake fan (like the atom really needs it right?). anyway, i moved the dvd burner to the upper right position and the aero-cool panel to the lower right position. this was better due to the usb cables hanging over the top of the dvd drive and interfering when trying to open it.

i then mounted the hd and installed the hd tray in the left position. everything is much better now.

here's the new layout

hope you all enjoy seeing my creation.

Custom Title Honors

man, 400 views and not a single comment. not even "hey that looks like crap" or "my grandma can mod a pc better than that". no comments at all is the worst to me.

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    man, 400 views and not a single comment. not even "hey that looks like crap" or "my grandma can mod a pc better than that". no comments at all is the worst to me.
    Check Food Lovers Specials and Game Specials.
    lol, Give it a couple of days!

It get slow around here come friday.

I do love this mod. I like seeing all the system I have worked on in my life get a new lease on the technology FWY.

One improvement that is needed is cabling. Clean it up and hide it under the DVD.
    Last edited by DaveW; 11-21-2020 at 07:59 PM.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Personally I rarely get a chance to look on here on the weekends.

Nice retro mod. I like seeing thing being reused as much as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Anodized

I've been wanting to do one of these myself. My Father in law had a stack of them in his garage and when I asked for one he had donated them two days earlier. So now I have this old Gateway 2000 that will proboly end up being my retromod box.

Custom Title Honors

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    lol, Give it a couple of days!

It get slow around here come friday.

I do love this mod. I like seeing all the system I have worked on in my life get a new lease on the technology FWY.

One improvement that is needed is cabling. Clean it up and hide it under the DVD.
    no sweat man. it's always a learning curve to figure out how a new forum works.

i'm hoping to have some other stuff to impress people with in the not too distant future. unfortunately my car hobbies (addictions) are way more expensive than computers. that takes up any play money i have.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Looks good, man. I always like seeing really old systems getting stuffed with new hardware. ..though, personally I would have tried to stuff a high-performance gaming system in it...would make for an awesome sleeper.

Unfortunately, I'll often be browsing the board late at night, as I'm about to go to bed, and grab some threads that I think "oh yeah, that sounds interesting, I'll set that over here and read it in the morning"....which never happens... Such was the case here.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Hey. That looks like crap! My Grandma can mod a PC better than that!

lol just kidding, looks sweet

Custom Title Honors

i was thinking i might play around with some cable management, so i opened it up and started rerouting and stuffing cables under the drive bays. it does look a little cleaner, but since there are no windows or anything, i decided it was futile. i'll leave the real cable management for my next project.