Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MATX air cooled gaming rig

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default MATX air cooled gaming rig

New project time, it's a MATX air cooled gaming rig, open chassis with carrying handle, really easy maintenance, hopefully I've put enough thought into it all holding together well.

Just getting the pieces made before I start bending/curving, assembling, doing a little each day on it.

Cut, drilled, tapped & added m3 brass inserts to the back IO expansion piece, made from 10mm acrylic.

Mounted to the back panel.

Mobo panel added.

Saving the curve cuts for when I have the curved pieces done to increase chance of lining up correctly.

Curved & bent the PSU cover, front panel is just resting in place.

I'll try to post progress every time I reply to keep it a productive log, posting in a few places so that could be regular progress.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: MATX air cooled gaming rig

Neat design.

One thing that occurs to me: weight distribution while carrying. Because the handle is off to one side, and it looks like most of the weight will be in the center, low down, it will likely sway a lot when you pick it up.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Neat design.

One thing that occurs to me: weight distribution while carrying. Because the handle is off to one side, and it looks like most of the weight will be in the center, low down, it will likely sway a lot when you pick it up.
    Thanks 88, I think it will be OK with all the support going into it but won't know for sure until it's done.

Load of drilling & tapping for mounting the 33mm acrylic support blocks.

And added 10mm acrylic psu cover supports.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    Thanks 88, I think it will be OK with all the support going into it but won't know for sure until it's done.
    Oh, I'm sure it'll be plenty strong. That's not what I meant. *grabs Visio*

Green box is the computer parts, blue bar is the handle. Yellow circle is your estimated center of mass.
    Sitting on a flat surface, all is well (left). Where things get funky is when you pick it up. When this happens, because the center of mass is not in line with the handle, the orientation of the case shifts (right) to bring the center of mass vertically in line with the handle. This makes the case awkward to pick up and carry.

There are basically two solutions to this:

The first would be to shift the center of mass directly under the handle, so that when the case is picked up it remains vertical. If you were doing liquid cooling in this build, I would say build a big reservoir into the vertical wall.

The second option would be to shift the center of mass even further away from the wall, increasing the tilt. Increase the tilt far enough, and you can get a comfortable carrying position on the other side.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Oh, I'm sure it'll be plenty strong. That's not what I meant. *grabs Visio*

Green box is the computer parts, blue bar is the handle. Yellow circle is your estimated center of mass.
    Sitting on a flat surface, all is well (left). Where things get funky is when you pick it up. When this happens, because the center of mass is not in line with the handle, the orientation of the case shifts (right) to bring the center of mass vertically in line with the handle. This makes the case awkward to pick up and carry.

There are basically two solutions to this:

The first would be to shift the center of mass directly under the handle, so that when the case is picked up it remains vertical. If you were doing liquid cooling in this build, I would say build a big reservoir into the vertical wall.

The second option would be to shift the center of mass even further away from the wall, increasing the tilt. Increase the tilt far enough, and you can get a comfortable carrying position on the other side.
    Looks like it will tilt the way you say but I don't mind as long as it stays solid.

Fully mounted the psu cover supports & added the side panel.

Next I'll mount & curve the front panel.

I am impressed, love the work, beginning to imagine things I could do myself with a few more tools, lol.

But I am curious, why such thick (10mm) acrylic panels for the windows? A thinner/cheaper/lighter acrylic wouldn't be better?
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    I am impressed, love the work, beginning to imagine things I could do myself with a few more tools, lol.

But I am curious, why such thick (10mm) acrylic panels for the windows? A thinner/cheaper/lighter acrylic wouldn't be better?
    Thanks Konrad & glad to be inspiring.

No windows in this one, 10mm acrylic for the rear IO/Expansion piece & the psu cover support bits, so it's a nice solid piece & 33mm thick for the structure support, had to use all hacksaw for the 33mm stuff.

Late session went on the custom fan mount.

Nice. Love that lower shroud.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Nice. Love that lower shroud.
    Thanks 88, was meant to be Cocobolo or Maple wood but my tools can't handle it, 2 inch thick & wanted to cut 20mm slices off & stick them together, so went to easy plywood lol.

Done some more today.

Got it close to the design curve but it's a good job I saved the cut until the curve was done.

How it's all looking now.

To do.

HDD slot mount.
    Back panel curve cut.
    Rest of the fan assembly parts.
    Front USB 3 & power button (40mm marble).
    Maybe add a couple more mount points for extra solidness.
    Case feet, 2x 10mm square bars on both sides.
    Surface & edge finishing.

I bought silverstone cable extensions to make quick easy work of cabling, plenty of cable stash room under the psu cover & the side casing.

USB cables & fans ordered.

Still undecided about adding decorative layers.

So I'll leave updates until I've done all of the above.