Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

Due to popular demand, picture progress report.

Started back up today after a little break to recover from man flu & lack of enthusiasm due to spending absolutely ages cutting the 10mm panels.

Got all the 10mm, 4mm cut & 1 of a heck of a lot of the 3mm panels done, it is getting easier but there is some high detail 3mm panels to be done & have no idea how long those might take I would do those next but I could do with getting a stronger spray adhesive to make sure it stays held down for the whole panel, soooo many cut outs to be done on them & this spray adhesive is only any good for simple panels.

Also shown here is the drill helpers, these particular ones are for drilling spot on on bars & on edges, I'll make a bigger one for big flat panels, will help make sure every single mount position is 100% perfect on edges of the 10mm panels & on any panels with a normal power drill.

On to easier thickness of 3mm now, then 2mm then 1mm then adding all the drill mount points then an epic sanding session, then acrylic which cuts incredibly easy on the saw then gluing some of the acrylic parts together, then hmmmmm woooooooo hoooooooooooooooo.

Because I've gone to such lengths on the design it would probably be able to be mass produced also but have no plans at all for that but it is my most complete design so far.

Shut up and take my money!

*cracks whip* Why aren't you on the 1mm at least yet?! Just kidding, its looking amazing so far!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Quote Originally Posted by Aldersan View Post
    *cracks whip* Why aren't you on the 1mm at least yet?! Just kidding, its looking amazing so far!
    Thanks Aldersan, I'm aiming to have the cut work done by the 10th March, 2 weeks from yesterday, might have it done sooner we'll see depends on how much I go at it.

It was proving to be a tad difficult searching through the 3mm alu I cut up to get the project started which I didn't label what cuts were what so it took an hour or 2 just to work out which are which & get them all labelled so continue I could.

Took me about 24 hours altogether to cut close to all the edges & cut spot on the seams for the multi page templates, just decided to get them ALL done so they are ready for sticking to the materials, will make for a lot less messing.

So with the 10th March deadline I set for myself I have 12 days with 1 of them being today a partial day to cut it ALL now lol.

I will do updates every 2 days showing how much I'm getting through.

Shut up and take my money!

Can't wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Quote Originally Posted by Aldersan View Post
    Can't wait!

Was a little concerned about sticking the busiest templates to the material with the weak spray adhesive but remembered I bought 50 a4 sticker sheets so printed all the busiest panels on them & got them cut up & taped together & did a final measure of them to make sure they are spot on & just stuck them to the alu.

I'll get busy drilling for access & cut them tomorrow but I'd be nicely surprised if I manage doing them all tomorrow but think it's doable, there is the front & back & both sides of the gamer rig & the rear htpc panel which are all the most detailed panels for the aluminium so expect updates to be rolling every 2 days from now with the first of them tomorrow evening or night.

So I'm staying with the do the lengthiest bits first & remembering I bought some a4 sticker sheets I chose to tackle the busiest aluminium panels of the build out of the mountain of alu I have to cut up.

Freshly cut, taped together, stuck on & drilled ready for cutting, only about 4 holes I think needed to be 1mm holes, all the rest were 2mm.

This is what I was hoping to do lol.
    Took ???????? to do 1 of the gamer side panels
    Took ???????? to do the gamer back.
    Took ???????? to do the gamer front.
    Took ???????? to do the htpc back.

But it took an hour to cut 6 of the smallest cut outs on 1 of the gamer side panels lol wow this will take quite a while but to be honest these tiny cut outs take far more effort to do than the bigger cut outs so I might still manage to complete 1 panel today & if I do I'll do another update later to complete this particular update but still aiming for an update every 2 days & these high volume cut out panels are definitely the most time consuming out of all of them besides the 10mm stuff already done.

Anodised colour selection I'll know for sure which colours I'll want once everything is built up.

Now I'll get right back into it but felt I was going at it for quite a while & not getting very far so stopped to check how long I was going to get those 6 tiny pieces out lol but it is very quiet work so I could go all day, all night & all day again which I very well might do & just take a 40 break every few hours to watch an episode of Chuck.

Checkpoint 4AM but I'm going to treat each of the rows as checkpoints now I've got my technique good, each thickness takes some readapting to.

40 min break for each checkpoint & no more picture updates until tomorrow.

Custom Title Honors

It is tomorrow, no? lol jk.. Looks awesome so far, can't wait to see more!

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus Technochicken's Avatar

That is some brilliant scroll saw work!