Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

Ready for carrying on again but now with all my tools ready for action in the cellar & plenty of storage, workshop still needs a lot more attention but it's totally usable again for the time being & with a lot more function.

Scraps area & a load more has been added from the garage since this photo of acrylic, bars, sheet alu & copper bars & sheet, will be a perfect selection, so much good stuff to pick through & will be great for some freestyle modding.

Work top area & all the tools on there can be placed inside the cupboard leaving a big blank work surface & it has mounting holes for a vice, grinder/polisher & bending brake which hasn't seen a lot of use from me to be honest because it's only any good for 1mm sheet really but it's there for whenever I need it.

Draws filled with many various types of drill bits, loads of types of nuts & bolts (I should buy a couple of small compartment storage boxes for them), adhesives, fillers, small hand tools, files & cutting bits.

Cupboard shelves with some hand manual/power tools, more files, clamps & sand paper from 60 to 2000 grit in closer gaps for each grit now with room for much more stuff.

My scraps need a good sorting through for what could be useful & unuseful & to sort them into same types & thicknesses nicely arranged for easy selection & all my modding bits need a hefty sort through also, have 1 huge box & about 7 smaller boxes of lighting, fans & all kinds of modding bits including retail case parts but with me now knowing how to make my own main important case pieces I have no need for them anymore so already know I can have a good clear out instead of becoming a massive hoarder.

Really starting to feel like a workshop & think modding will be much more fun as it should be from now.

Off/on topic :confused:.
    Because of me mucking up by showing the doubled up panel in it's best lighting & some approving of it lol I couldn't hold myself back from having a quick mess about in sketchup as well as checking out different orientations of the actual panels.

A big part of what makes it look good doubled up in reality is the inside cuts catch reflections & cast shadows under the right light with them being 3mm thick, if I doubled these up they would mess the planned design which would be a problem so natural choice to me is stay with the design & either use 1.5mm sheets or 3 1mm sheets, but with the lack of depth might not look as good, also I got the feeling wood wouldn't fit in with it all so if I did go that route I'd make it all out of aluminium, colours used in this example are titanium, grey & black, kinda looks good to me but I would love to throw some nice colour into the project, this is like a black & white movie so if I did go this way I'd have to put a good colour scheme together & think the perfect colour scheme would come in the form of paints, not anodising.

But having said that I could smooth off the ends so instead of having a frame around them they simply smooth & blend off to the edges as a rounded bevel edge, certainly a crazy amount of work though doing 2 more of these panels & would add more weight to the top half.

As for colouring I think paint would be the best way because I can pick from an infinite range of colours & do some blending to form a real nice colour scheme, the range of colours on offer at the anodisers is very limited & know I could really broaden the range of colours if I DIY the anodising, would be a really sweet skill to gain also, would make me completely self sufficient at all my creating.

1 Thing I like about not using the wood is I'll be dealing with materials I know won't be prone to splitting/chipping/warping, never made panels from slithers of wood before but I am up for giving it a shot, this alternative look is not a sure thing yet, I just explored the option a little.

I particularly like the look of it from a looking up at it angle, looks chunky & pretty badass.

Intended look comparison.

And back to the project, on the last episode.

I aim to get this panel done today & know it's very doable with taking out all the tiny cut outs first, they might not take the longest to do but they require more concentration to do.

Shut up and take my money!

Looking good! Can't wait to see all sides together!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

I wish I had this much free time...

Quote Originally Posted by Aldersan View Post
    Looking good! Can't wait to see all sides together!
    Thanks Aldersan neither can I mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    I wish I had this much free time...
    Lifes tricky, either too little time but got money, waaaaaay too much free time & virtually no money.

Thinking update.

Slacked off yesterday spent a bunch of time working out what direction this is going in, I'm not mad keen on doing 3mm doubled panels but might if I can dig deep enough to do those again & thin panels wouldn't create the reflection or shadow thing as much but I found doing panel surfaces whatever colour I will & keep all the edges nicely sanded & raw, creates a nice effect overall.

And had a go at the feet design, 30mm high, as deep as the gaming rig & a little bit wider, combination of 10mm plate alu, 6mm rod, 3mm rod all interlocked together.

I do believe I'll make these overkill feet.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Not overkill. Functional.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

So, when are you going to ship it to me???????
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Not overkill. Functional.
    I have just toned it down a little.

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    So, when are you going to ship it to me???????

Slight revision of the feet, when cheapskate says he thinks it's too crazy it really must be so I removed the rods, added a full length middle support & made it less wide & it all still interlocks nicely, so much so that it might not even need any bolts other than to fix to the base of the rig, this was 1 of the other neat things I was thinking of when deciding to buy the scroll saw, nicer ways of putting things together, not just nice detail panels.

Now to carry on with the cutting, I think that back gamer panel might take a while.

Started with a fresh 12 pack of blades to see if I could manage doing the back gamer panel with just those.

Problemo, but spotted before I mucked up beyond recovery, the bottom right cut outs in this shot don't line up with the next row, the row beyond that do though, I already done the starting drill points a while ago now but I think I can salvage it by tweaking the design just enough to let me get away with the mistake, I started trying to manually do it but it's a bit too technical to do anywhere near as good as I could if I tweak the design to fix it & then print & stick it over (still got no drawing aids), they are definitely a bit too much out of flow for my liking, wouldn't even be noticed on normal shots but on macro shots it sure would & I'd like to do a ton of photos of this once it's done so instead of completing this panel now I have to fix the design, print, stick, then continue.

Here is what I got cut today though so far.

Error in the back gamer panel pattern that I couldn't go ahead with, some of them were out of place by as much as 3.5mm, you have to look close at it to really see it.

Fixed & added an extra cut out because there was room for 1.

Off to print this fixed one & very carefully stick it over the faulty one, retained all the drill start holes in original place too, a spanner in the works nicely pulled out just in time.