Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

Fixed pattern applied & already working on it, this shot makes it look wonky but that's just the sticker sheet risen up a bit, it pressed back down nicely.

And say hello to my little finger choppers.

These will occupy the 2 main front fans & I'll be applying my custom fan frames to these but I think I'll redesign the grills I was going to use so it's a bit safer.

These fans come run at 1600RPM but also come with a 900 & 1200RPM cable, I'll use the 900 for the htpc, not sure about the gaming rig yet.

Finished cutting the gamer back panel.

Up next the gamer front panel & then a little break so I can get the scroll saw out of my dreams lol.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Wow... great work man.

Wishing you owned a water jet yet?

Great work and what colour is the plexi going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Wow... great work man.
    Thanks Fuganater

Quote Originally Posted by Stonerboy779 View Post
    Wishing you owned a water jet yet?

Great work and what colour is the plexi going to be?
    Would be sweet to have access to one + know how to use it properly but I don't so I'll go this way, Just takes longer & more effort.

The plexi I bought is brown tint, even if I don't use the wood for this project I think it could still work well, not sure if I mentioned it here but I might switch the wood extras for aluminium, got worries about it splitting or warping & being a PITA, Some of the slithers I had in mind were as thin as 1mm thick.

But when cutting the outside edges of all these panels there were many slithers I took off that must have been about 0.1mm thick, was like tin foil lol so actually cutting accurate slithers isn't my worry, it's more with the characteristics of the woods I chose.

Decided I'm going to have a little break from the project to enjoy some sunshine while we have some & catch up on a couple of the ever increasing backlog of awesome games I have & I could smell the detailed chunky aluminium panels coming to an end so thought the heck with it & pushed forward, I don't consider acrylic the tiniest bit difficult to cut on the scroll saw compared to aluminium, it's sanding acrylic to a sweet finish which is a nightmare lol.

So the last of the detailed chunky panels, gamer front, start.

I'm surprised I did these super tiny holes, the 1mm drill bit I used just about fit this cut out lol, but I did the drilling well before so couldn't not do it leaving a drill hole, had to get my very fine blades out for this 1, quite proud I managed to do it nicely.

This circle hmmmmm, why didn't I just drill the right size?, maybe it was because I didn't want to risk drilling badly.

Done, well not done but cut at least like all the other panels so far. :p

So, with me taking a break from it to recover I thought I'd take photos of all the work done so far.

HTPC sides & front 10mm.

Stand sides 10mm.

Stand bottom 4mm.

Gamer top pieces 3mm & 4mm, it'll make sense later in the project.

Gamer side panels 3mm.

HTPC back panel 3mm.

Gamer back panel 3mm.

Gamer front panel 3mm.

Group hug photos.

So time to relax before I get back at it & when I do the rest of the scroll saw work should be quickly done & ready for stage 2, I’ll try to get the feet finalised in the meantime, there is still a lot of cutting to do but it's all far more simple & then it goes to the thinner material which I can breeze through.

Also got the sound card ordered for the HTPC, PITA how you can't buy auzentech sound cards in the UK now, had to buy direct from them, there are a few alternative shops but I wouldn't buy from them with all the bad feedback they have, went for the x-fi forte low profile card, got to have awesome sound on a HTPC.

At least a week before another update.

Inspiring work bro, you are like tribaloverkill with your obsession for perfect cuts and I love it! You make laser cutters weep with shame...kinda reminds me of John Henry vs the railroad machine
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Custom Title Honors

You make laser cutters weep with shame
    hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Inspiring work bro, you are like tribaloverkill with your obsession for perfect cuts and I love it! You make laser cutters weep with shame...kinda reminds me of John Henry vs the railroad machine
    Don't know what to say to such an awesome comment thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    hahahahaha

Bracing myself to get back onto it, had a bit of rest to catch up on.

Fan grill revisions since I went for the chopper fans.

Second design is a further developed version to be a little safer than the originals I was going to use.

Think I like this 4th one the most, looks ok & won't be restrictive & will prevent fingers being chopped not that I ever place my fingers into fan blades but some crazy might.

Revised feet again, chopped the front 2 feet off & replaced with 3 stacked 10mm small panels shaped to work a bit better with the look of the design & removed the side middle feet & created a bigger arch, kept the back the same.

Should be able to do the 10mm triple layer parts from scraps from earlier 10mm cuts.

I think I can make these, won't be easy but it's doable with a good accurate cutting, filing & drum sanding session, still waiting for my drum sanders BTW, well over a month & supplier not sure when to expect, they are incredibly good which is why they in such high demand, you can put whatever sandpaper you want on them, already got 1 but it's a big 75mm one, waiting for a 12.5mm & 25mm one, they make such awesome work of cleaning up edges & very fast, can use them in a power drill or drill press.

I'll continue with the actual creating in the next couple days, still loads of panels to cut but nice & simple ones.

Settled with intended grills but with the extra guards, the feet I removed the middle layer which will make them a little easier to make & think they look better so are now happy feet lol.

Flying squirrel feet.

If you want a vote I would say go for something between 1 and 2 so one extra band not two.