Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

Random animal! Ack!~
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stonerboy779 View Post
    If you want a vote I would say go for something between 1 and 2 so one extra band not two.
    I tried it I liked it cheers stonerboy.

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Random animal! Ack!~
    Lol

Progress woooo hooooooooo, feels good.
    Fan grills are down to these 2, I like them both really, was suggested by stonerboy on TBCS to just have 1 ring on the original design & it does look better than 2 extra rings.

Got 5 Pieces done today, only spent about 3 hours though so not bad.
    And here is the drill helper in action, makes it so anyone could easily drill precisely where they want to, it is 100% spot on where it should be, you just place it & clamp it & use the power drill with minimal effort, brilliant, just need to make a bigger one for bigger panels but they can be made rapidly.

Mini-ITX mobo tray cut, drilled & countersunk ready for the 10mm female to female stand offs & m3 6mm countersunk screws, tested mounting a full ATX mobo to it & the mounts are completely spot on, I love digital callipers & printing designs.

Installed

HTPC bottom level.

HTPC 2nd level.

HTPC 3rd level

Gamer rig bottom level with mini-ITX mobo tray.

Altogether

The growing stack of parts just waiting to suddenly transform from a mess into a structure.

It's always been a battle for me to keep a regular sleep pattern when getting into a project, nearly went for doing some sound isolation in the workshop so I could create any time but after weighing it up it simply cost too much to do so realised a really loud alarm clock was the answer by the name of "Sonic bomb" has really sorted me out so expect regular progress now, that thing can't fail to wake me up & I really put it to the test for this morning because I went to sleep at about 3AM & set it for 6:30 & it catapulted me out of bed, disturbs you so bad you don't bother with snooze, precisely what I needed all this time & is what has been delaying progress, being energetic at completely wrong time of day but this is fixed now, I'll just have to go easy on the coffee late in the day.

More HTPC parts I did today.

The motherboard tray doesn't screw in place, it's held in place by a bottom, middle & upper layer & slides in/out for sweet easy maintenance, big part of the functional side of the theme, a dream for easy maintenance, something I really do like in a build. =)

Few more parts for screw less fixing of parts, 2 of 4 layers for HTPC internal sides, optical holding piece, extra piece for holding the hdd cage in place, another level for the HTPC & a few small bits to form the front of the HTPC.

Parts pile grows further.

More tomorrow.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

That's a pretty awesome idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    That's a pretty awesome idea!
    Cheers Fug only the main structure fixes with screws & rods, everything else slides & slots in place, should be real nice to maintain, be excellent for dusting time also.

Fan grills was 5-1 for the original grill with extra ring so I'll do those.

Felt too tired to create yesterday.

Since changing some parts from wood to aluminium I'm not sure if I have enough so might need to get some alu ordered, the wood side detail pieces are meant to be 5mm thick, I have no large enough 5mm plate so might do a double layer of 3mm adding an extra pattern that compliments the main one, we seen how it gave a nice effect doubling up the 3mm panels so it makes good sense to do that in this part if I have enough material anyway.

The scraps of the 10mm plate are more than enough for the feet though, measured them.

I could start building things up already now to boost some extra life into the log but I won't I don't want the form to get old like stealthlow did, plus I want to focus on 1 aspect at a time so it suddenly rises up when it's all ready to for a big ass wow moment.

So I think today I'll do the rest of the 3mm stuff & if I'm still feeling energetic make a start on the feet which I have no idea how long they will take me, 10mm takes a while to cut well.

Back to the land of chunk for the feet.

Templates printed on sticker paper & applied to some of the spare 10mm plate.

And it begins & to be honest I find this easier than those crazy 3mm side panels, they really did feel like they were taking forever to get through.

Had to take a picture of this odd creature.

Fine cuts.

Done 1 of 5, I started pretty late in the day & it already hit 17:30 by the time I did this 1 piece so thought I'll do the rest on a long day tomorrow with an early rise, at least I know the curve cuts are doable with the standard band saw blades & just the notches need taking out with the finer blades for easier turn cuts.

Tested a piece of the 10mm alu slotted into the notch & it's a perfect tight fit.

40% complete feet. More exciting cutting. but it is good progress so I'll shut up.

I'll try to finish these tomorrow, not much more to do & will have the first bit of filing to do on the front pieces of the feet.

Progressed a very good bit for the feet, all I need to do now is 5 drill hoes going about 7mm into the plates ends but then I need 6mm aluminium rod, I could buy some or I could sand down the 1/4 inch rod I have, cut a few pieces & JB Weld them in place & these feet will be rock solid but I'll save the JB Weld for after anodising.

Also then need to do some well placed holes for mounting the front plates & then mounting holes for attaching to the bottom panel.

Did these 2 yesterday.

Completed the other 2 today so that's the set, next stage for these 4 pieces is a big filing session to get the angles how I want them.

Last 2 side legs.

Drill helper in action.

Finishing the holes to desired depth.

More cutting.

More sanding.

Ta daaa, interlocked.

Parts pile grows again.

I'll try to complete the feet tomorrow if I can, thanks for looking.

This is awesome! You don't need a CNC. You ARE a CNC
    ( don't know if ther's a CNC which tries to cut his own hand. But whatever )

BTW, i only got the small saw blades for my scroll saw, like these
    The one you're using is like these? Do they work well with a scroll saw? I guess so because you're using them. But i think it's hard to make circles with them? Pretty sure they'll last langer than the thin ones.
    My TBCS worklogs:

HTPC Onkyo look(active!)
    Alien Hospital(on hold) - Chemical Industrial(finished) - Cosmod(finished)
    Other finished projects:
    I-spider - Chemical Overdose - The Praetorian

Quote Originally Posted by _ferry_ View Post
    This is awesome! You don't need a CNC. You ARE a CNC
    ( don't know if ther's a CNC which tries to cut his own hand. But whatever )

BTW, i only got the small saw blades for my scroll saw, like these
    The one you're using is like these? Do they work well with a scroll saw? I guess so because you're using them. But i think it's hard to make circles with them? Pretty sure they'll last langer than the thin ones.
    Hehe thanks ferry, I'll be taking safer measures from now on when using the scroll saw though.

The first scroll saw I had would only take pin end blades like the ones you shown, I wanted one that could take plain end blades because there was more types available going up to very high teeth per inch & were cheaper, but I didn't just go for one that had that feature I went for one with a wealth of nice features, it cost a lot but I had it spare at the time so mine can take band saw blades also, all I do is buy a band saw blade & cut it into correct sized pieces so I think I got about 15 blades out of 1 band saw blade.

The thicker blades you shown are junior hacksaw blades but I don't know, maybe they could work on a pin end blade scroll saw if they are the same length, well worth checking out I say do you know if yours can accept plain end blades or not?.

Plus if cutting tighter curves like a fan hole normal blades are still best for that, I use the chunkier blades for slight curves & straight lines to get through it faster.

Decided to start doing more actual WIP pictures but don't want thousands of pictures to upload over the course of the log so I'm starting to bunch them together either in 2s or 4s so it shows a more complete progression & showing full pictures for finished pieces or near finished, I'll put a / in-between descriptions of each picture cluster.

It's cool in the cellar but not like 0c or below like it was in the garage when it got colder which made me leave my camera in the house so I can keep it aside on every session now without worrying about it causing damage, even my mp3 player used to crash when over in the garage because of the cold, it's probably about 10c in the cellar virtually all year round, really nice temperature to mod in.

Back to hand tools woo hooo which let me use my full force, I missed it so much really, it exhausts the body which is a way I'm far more used to, whereas the scroll sawing exhausts the mind mostly with having to go at it's pace instead of my own so that tires me more than this, this just calls for regular recovery breaks & more showers because it makes me sweat a lot & it's cool in the cellar, usually need a fleece on.

Here they are just after carefully scoring them with scalpel & ruler so I have perfect lines that won't come unstuck while they get filed. / Templates removed showing the lines. / Harsh file, medium file & soft file. / It begins.

Busy / busy / busy lol / done 1 edge.

I was having difficulty clamping the small pieces on the workbench so decided to cut up to the peg holes in it so I could get them further in, the peg holes are supposed to act as a type of clamp but I never use them because they are rubbish, so no loss & all gain. / It worked excellent, I had to place a bit of same height scrap so I could catch the angles right.

Busy / I find throwing my leg over helps to prevent back ache & lets me throw more force into it.

Done the filing stage of 1 of these pieces, I started late & it was getting very late so called it a day, up next for these is a quick drum sanding session which will make them very nice.

A few pictures of the result.

And I have thought of how I can fix these to the legs without making it an impossible assembly which could be tomorrow if I start early enough.

Next update should be less wordy too, just had some things to mention with changing the style of the log a little.