Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast

Thread: Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

Quote Originally Posted by Stonerboy779 View Post
    Would you ever consider doing commissioned fan grills? These things are serious works of art and look fantastic.
    I would, but I'd also prefer to sell the design to someone who makes batches & sells them, a good sized batch could be made much faster than I can make 1 of these, unless it's the fact these are hand made also though.

I said as much on bit-tech, maybe someone will come forward & propose something to make it happen but I don't know yet, I hinted at me being happy to let MNPCtech do them but I might have to just go & ask him to see if he's interested, basically offering to him first because he is great for modding.

Just made the ATX mobo tray & it's spot on, the slot at the top which is the point where the slide in/out function of the tray will secure in place, tested mounting a GPU in both pci express slots & the mobo slots are perfect, yay.

And here is the motherboard that needs a clown honker nose power button to go with it.

I may as well get making both the pci/io pieces today, be a few less technical pieces to make, only placed this retail one on it to see it lines up right.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

man the things I could make if I had the kinds of cash to spend on aluminum like you do

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    man the things I could make if I had the kinds of cash to spend on aluminum like you do
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    I'm not well off but I'm good at saving & to be honest projects like this keep me so busy it makes saving up even easier lol.

Acrylic is more expensive than aluminium here for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    +1

So many cut outs but get on with it, the distance of cutting is very similar as the gamer side panel but in a very compressed small area & in 1mm aluminium so it's quicker to cut but still takes ages with having to be really careful to not deform the heck out of the material or miss-cut it, drill holes 1mm & 2mm.

Now get on with it.

9 hours through the night.

Cleaning with thinners gets it clean but also adds bits in the sharp corner gaps so need a tooth brush to get all the bits out after cleaning, not done in this picture.

One down, one to go & some more bits.

I'm taking a break, knew these pieces would take some effort & I still need to design the switch mechanism but it's already there in my head, just need to turn the vision into a working design & then make it.

Next time you see these pieces I hope to have them put together as 1 super duper panel With functioning marble switch.

Since doing the high detail 1mm panel the other day I slacked off until last night & got rather busy.

Completing the 2nd high detail panel took about 5 hours this time, wasn't messing about or taking any breaks but this whole session represents 1AM to 1PM & it all holds together as 1 piece, still need to make the switch box to support the marble properly but that's all for this front piece other than cleaning up.

What was done...
    Made the 2nd detail panel, filed & sanded the edges of the 10mm piece to be rounded, sanded the inside of the 10mm piece so the 3mm panel I cut out would fit in, took ages making it fit in, cut the back panel with basic circle, to align them perfectly for drilling mounting holes I simply took my time aligning them together right & clamped a piece of plate alu to it to give a good surface clamp & just done random mounting holes in the corners & tapped the 10mm panel & used 8mm countersunk screws from the inside with a bunch of 1mm thick washers to create gaps between the panels.

I really like this piece.

But guttedly I just noticed the 3mm panel placed inside the 10mm panel isn't aligned correctly due to making the hole bigger so it would fit in so I'll need to remake the 10mm piece & the 3mm piece. Oh well, worth redoing I believe.

The heck with it I'll see if I have the spare 10mm & if I have I'll do it now.

Figured a good solution for the hiccup, cut where the red lines are.

To be honest I was going to have the inset 3mm panel a bit further in rather than just plugged in the end so I think I'll cut where the red lines are & make 1 more panel like the faulty one but without the extra details but give the inside edge a bevel all around simply making it even more awesome, filling the gaps & having the ring where it should be.

I have options now.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

sooooooooooooooooo.....

Whats the over/under on how much this thing is gonna weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    sooooooooooooooooo.....

Whats the over/under on how much this thing is gonna weigh?
    I have no idea yet mate but if it is heavy I'll be lightening it up a nice bit by cutting bits out but in a way so it retains it's strength, be nice if I can get it close to the weight of a regular retail case but miles stronger.

Traced around the insides of the 10mm panel shape so I can make a blank perfect fit panel before I complete the fix, ready for continuing now.

Think I'll do all the set in pieces like this now, more straight forward.

So much awesome for just one power switch keep up the good work