Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

Made a hiccup when extending the holes for the 3mm rods on my last session, I simply drilled too close so left the outer edge is a bit knackered on the top & bottom panels, I'll re make the affected panels moving them further in by 0.5mm so might need to get more 3mm aluminium, not sure yet.

Showing the 3rd revision of the hdd cover pieces a bit clearer, still unsure about filing the 2 layers above to be the same or to bevel to the 3rd layer.

Marked & drilled the first 2 mount points on the stand cover which makes the whole look more together.

Then held the cover in place & poked a sharpie marker through onto the acrylic.

Drilled & bunged brass inserts in.

Testing & getting more marker points added.

Decided to use the top mount points to share the way it mounts to the stand so it's screwed in on both sides, had to shorten 3 screws by about 3mm.

To get the accurate marking of the upper mounts I just squeezed the assembly together & drilled through the brass insert on the drill press with a 2mm bit & then took apart & used a 3mm bit.

Put it together & it was nice & solid piece ready to install.

One tiny problem though, the custom fan pass through hole on the cover is I'd say about 1mm too low so it won't let me slide the HTPC in/out so it needs some careful filing so it will allow it to slide in/out, going to be difficult making sure it doesn't produce a significant gap spoiling the look.

I think it looks so much better with the covers, enjoy the shots.

I'll fix any of the mentioned issues in this update on my next session.

Absolutely gorgeous work. Love it. Can you elaborate a bit more on using those brass inserts in acrylic? Those look really handy. Are you simply heating them with the soldering iron and pressing them in, or are you screwing them in while heated?
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous work. Love it. Can you elaborate a bit more on using those brass inserts in acrylic? Those look really handy. Are you simply heating them with the soldering iron and pressing them in, or are you screwing them in while heated?
    Thanks TLHarrell, they measure about 4.5mm at the thickest point where the spikes are & 3.8mm where they will just sit in the 4mm hole, then you press the soldering iron onto it guiding to keep it going straight it as it sinks below the surface, the heat causes the acrylic to swell raising the surface a little & then if needed I file that down so it's nice & flat again, they are really handy for easily adding reliable threads in acrylic.

Thanks, man. I'm gonna have to get some of those ASAP. I've got several projects in acrylic that need to be screwed and I hate tapping the stuff. Sounds terrible and cracks way too easily.

Keep up the awesome work. Can't wait to see more.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    Thanks, man. I'm gonna have to get some of those ASAP. I've got several projects in acrylic that need to be screwed and I hate tapping the stuff. Sounds terrible and cracks way too easily.

Keep up the awesome work. Can't wait to see more.
    Don't think I've ever tapped acrylic before, can imagine it being problematic though, those inserts are awesome.

Sorry for taking forever on replying, I needed a bit of a time out, this is mostly a status update & an early look at something I'm going to make as an interval project

Here is a preview of a HTPC I'm going to make before I continue with lean & green, it's for my dad & I want to get it completed before he gets home from Australia in February.

It holds mini-itx, sfx psu, 2x 2.5" HDD, 1 3.5" HDD, 140mm fan & marble power button new improved mini version, the form is simple & the cut work isn't complex so should be able to get it done quick once I start.

Because of where I made the psu sit I went with regular expansion slot height.

Slot for ventilation under the motherboard.

Got all the hardware & aluminium ready & waiting for action, everything in the design is covered this time so it should be a nice enjoyable project that I can quickly do before I step back into steep challenge mod lean & green.

I also upgraded my main rig to 2 670s in SLI after selling a bunch of parts I had getting no use but I lost my SLI bridge so had it performing as 1 card for a week, the SLI bridge I ordered came today though so I'm eager to have a good play with it, tried a run of 3dmark11 & heaven & wow it kills my previous 580, gave something like 3x the performance, so is an awesome upgrade.

Designed a dual layer homer eating his way out of the rig grill but I made the mesh holes too big so doesn't look too great, much smaller mesh holes & it should look OK, requires quite a bunch of hours to do though so some other time for perfecting this grill.

In more neutral colours.

With just getting the SLI bridge I'm going to resume modding on new years day or when the acrylic tube arrives so I can be 100% sure of accurate measurements, was going to get right onto it today or tomorrow but I only just completed this side project design & it would do me good to take some more days off so I can go at this new project mentally energised & not neglect my gamer side, would you believe I still haven't played all the way through the witcher 2 & I bought it on release day.

I must have just got bored waiting for the SLI bridge with doing the homer grill.

Here is the tweaked updated model with scrapped double 2.5" drives, relocated SSD which will also make cooling better & internal e-sata HDD dock replacing the double 2.5s which can be switched on/off with easy remove mini side panel, side & top panels plug in place with little rod stumps by the way so the slots cut out will provide grips to pull them out, front, back & bottom are screwed in place.

The rearrangement gave some more breathing space too.

SSD relocation which will also aid in directing incoming air down to the motherboard.

HDD dock side has 2 side panels for quick easy access to the dock.

The sliding spring loaded block with gripper.

Bit of structure hidden to show it better.

One more look before I do this thing.

I'll make it printable & then enjoy the rest of this year before getting into it, I might or might not start before new years day, depends on if I get a sudden urge to make something or game on until new year.

All the best everyone.

Have you had a chance to re mock the homer grill with smaller holes?

Also do you know how you'll go about the grill because even for you it'll be a horrible job haha and that is another ball start button I see?

Quote Originally Posted by Stonerboy779 View Post
    Have you had a chance to re mock the homer grill with smaller holes?

Also do you know how you'll go about the grill because even for you it'll be a horrible job haha and that is another ball start button I see?
    The homer grill is 2 layers & I've not got around to doing it again, takes so long to do that it wouldn't surprise me if I could make it faster than design it but that's due to making the separate coloured sections where in reality I'd just make a stencil set & then paint & could actually do it as 1 layer.

The most difficult bit would be having to manually cut the semi circle mesh holes that merge with the frame, the rest could just be drilled.

I pretty much did the homer grill while waiting for the SLI bridge.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

More, please
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    More, please
    This is paused for the moment, I'll continue as soon as I complete this side project.

I'm having a Midlag Crisis.
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...551#post374551