Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

Quote Originally Posted by Aldersan View Post
    Best of luck!
    I just need to get on with it & not moan.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    I really doubt I can meet my silly deadline without rushing & working myself into the ground so I'm dropping the deadline but I'll just keep progressing each day.
    This. Progress each day and enjoy yourself. Read that again... enjoy yourself. That's what we do this for, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    This, sir, is beautiful. There was a lot of time involved but it's beautiful. I remember spending three hours marking and cutting away paper on a side panel for an acrylic mod and asking myself after an hour why I was doing it. When I was done I knew.

This is why. You're certainly no stranger to taking your time and detail, as evidenced by your prior work, so you know that, but I wanted to let you know that it shows here too. You have a thing with fluidity (also evidenced by your past work) that I could never tackle.

Well-deserved +rep.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    This. Progress each day and enjoy yourself. Read that again... enjoy yourself. That's what we do this for, right?
    Absolutely blue I enjoy creating a lot & watching other peoples creations come together, guess I just find it hard to know when to call it a day though.

It's pretty much an old habit from when I started creating really that is dying hard where I feel when I start a particular piece I have to finish it in that session or at least make it to an ideal checkpoint & with me making my designs more complex or difficult to do with each new project they simply can't be done in 1 fell swoop with the amount of time it takes but I still have the mind-set of trying to but think I'm getting the hang of some parts can't be made in a quick time when doing it all manually.

I do know that if I just casually went at this it would take a really long time like years & there's nothing wrong with that I know, I've followed many projects that have spanned years & it's great to see updates on them.

I found if I take a few days off it can very easily turn to weeks & months so I tend to grind away at it as long as I'm feeling good & I have way too much free time really so it keeps me in high spirits.

Cheers for the nice post mate, appreciated.

And guess what?

Another update lol small one but thought of how to do the other panel quicker.

Didn't do much today so not much to show but when I was cleaning up around the saw I found some 10 TPI blades I forgotten about, 18TPI on the left, 12 TPI in the middle & 10 TPI on the right, they are far stronger than the others so can cut faster.

They are very good for making quick work of the cutting but not good at very tight turns & useless at U-turns so I wasted a bit of time before I got my thinking cap on.

I decided to take out the need to go from the opening hole to the sides with a curve by adding start holes close to the edges, this will allow me to do all the longer curve lines quickly with the 10 TPI blades & then go over them all with a more flexible blade to take out the ends, I expect I'll have this panel done tomorrow if I get a good session in, already taken out the most fiddly holes with 18 TPI blades.

So early night, early rise & intend to get through this panel, would be quite something managing what was taking 4 solid days in a day.

But I will learn properly when to call it a day in my sessions.

Enthusiasm, energy & focus was getting scarily low so had to let it recharge plus there are a few other things that's been making me not want to spend much time in the cellar so things have been on pause the past few days.

The 10TPI blades cut fast but easily get stuck to the aluminium so not a good option risking high damage to the panel, already know using a lube makes it impossible to see the cutting lines so not an option, the extra 5 packs of 12 TPI came today so can get right back at it & change blades regular instead of rationing them out until they wouldn't cut a thing.

I'll only do thick high volume cut pieces on metal now & again because of the time they take but will stay dedicated to doing the ones on this project.

I am going to sand all edges to get an awesome all over look but I'll do that after fixing parts together but of course I'll have to sand any connecting edges so they are perfect before fixing them but the disc sander & sanding drums & sanding blades will make quick work of that.

This is an update on the status & a little eye candy of what is done so far for something good as a last post for a bit because I'm going to be getting really stuck into getting the high volume cut panels done & then I'll start updating again once I've got through them because I'll be able to do regular significant updates then, think doing updates between the time consuming panels is making it seem longer.

Been having a big flood prevention job done over the past 5 weeks & the room I got sorted was soon filled with the stuff from the other room so has been like modding in a big bin so it's been pretty bad for keeping my mind in awesome mode really.

But when they finish the job which should be this week I'll be able to get it straight again & I'll be sorting the room with the saw in to be an awesome little modding room moving all my tools & bits into it I'll eventually make it a sound proofed room also so I can mod whenever I feel like it which will be awesome since my energy levels seem to mostly peak at night time.

Plus I'm going to make a really good photo booth soon, it's something that has been way overdue for quite a while.

Shut up and take my money!

Great work so far!..BUT

That took 4 days for an update. Bad, bad, bad!

That better mean I get extra updates soon

Keep it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Time to start filing!

Great work so far!..BUT

Keep it up!
    And when was your last update??

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    LOL I honestly haven't done much..I've got the side panel from TL mounted and everything, but I don't have the front one done quite yet..Maybe I'll find the time to do that today, Mass Effect 3 kind of had my brain for the past few days but I've saved the galaxy, so time to move on to other things Plus, I never made any promises about regular updates!

Myrmidon

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Crap...

.....Months????
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Great work so far!..BUT

Keep it up!
    Updates come when they come lol but should be able to properly dedicate now the mess was getting me miserable with doing long sessions in there.

Time to start filing!

This why it's taking longer with cutting right up to the design lines so no need for filing, but still a need for sanding & still waiting on a couple of sanding drums I ordered, taking the company ages to get them in but the sanding stage will be after I get all the cut work done which still might take a while, with the ideas for the sanding it should be a fairly quick task.

LOL I honestly haven't done much..I've got the side panel from TL mounted and everything, but I don't have the front one done quite yet..Maybe I'll find the time to do that today, Mass Effect 3 kind of had my brain for the past few days but I've saved the galaxy, so time to move on to other things Plus, I never made any promises about regular updates!
    Hehe, games can suck up your time like a black hole skyrim so many hours can just disapear playing that.

And sure I won't make promises about updates again unless I am totally sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Crap...

.....Months????
    Ugh lol 2 weeks doesn't feel so bad now hehe.

The other room is done now & spent the night sorting the cellar so I can at least stand long sessions in there again.

Before

After

I can get on with the cutting now without feeling like I'm sat in a garbage dump, already feels a lot nicer in there so you can definitely expect regular updates to start rolling on again now but first I need a rest, just thought I'd update that it's waiting for me to spring back into action now instead of anything holding me back, think I'll continue doing all the time consuming stuff first as planned.

Still loads of hoarded useless junk that fills the shelves though & want to clear it all out ASAP & get some really cheap but decent kitchen worktops to go along 2 or maybe even 3 walls for all my main tools & have a nice dedicated assembly spot, then all I'll need is a load of chunky wooden beams to form them into tables already got a very nice piece of kitchen work top which I'll make my scroll saw table with as soon as I can with all the different blade types having their own holders because the silly long table I'm using is very prone to rattling & I'd much prefer a sturdy smaller table that I can bolt the saw to so it's nice & solid not a bit prone to rattling.

But really I think I can complete the project with the room as it is & will bring my other tools & the foldable workbench over later today & just use them on the floor for the time being, got the space now, woo hoooooo, can’t wait to really get stuck back into this.

I would get back to cutting right now but I am very knackered & really need a few zzzzzzzzzz lol.

I think you should finish this with regular updates, then make a worklog of transforming your work space

Myrmidon