Thread: Irregular Acrylic

Fresh Paint

Default Irregular Acrylic

Hey this is my first post but have been reading for a while. So my question is what would I cut acrylic to get these curves.

Also second how would I fit it into the side panel. I saw on one featured work log here that they cut all the parts individually then glue them to a clear sheet and glue that to the panel. Is there any other to do this without a second sheet. Thanks everyone.

Default Re: Irregular Acrylic

If the acrylic isn't too thick then I would just blast through it with a rotary tool cutting disk and file it smooth with a hand file. You can still do this with thick acrylic, you just have to be careful that the melted acrylic doesn't form around the disk and cool back down, otherwise you risk cracking the acrylic if it happens at a narrow spot.

I'm not sure I fully understand the second question. If you have a square hole in the side panel, if you put that up there, then you would have holes in the window where the negative space is. If you just want a window to show through with the shape you are showing, then you would just use a square piece of acrylic behind the door panel and cut the shape into the door panel instead.

Welcome! If you give some more information about what you are trying to do, we can give a bit more help. =)

There are several good tutorials regarding plexi in our tutorials section: tutorials

and a nice demo of flame-polishing plexi on the Modwiki here: flame polish plexi

What I tend to do is use a table jig-saw like this if you have one:

If not, you can make wide rough cuts with a coping saw:

Follow up with small metal files and sand paper, then flame polish.

As for mounting them on another sheet, you might consider mounting them on a sheet of mesh for a more clever look:

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

The best thing I've found for cutting curves freehand (or straight cuts if you have a good fence) in acrylic is a table-mounted router with a spiral carbide cutter. You can also use a standard carbide-tipped router bit but the cut is a little more rough. You can use that to cut out the large areas then put a small-diameter cutter in place (like a Rotozip spiral bit) to do the finish cuts.

Also remember that cast acrylic is a lot easier to machine than extruded acrylic. It's denser and has a higher melting point, alleviating the build-up around the cutter mentioned previously.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    If the acrylic isn't too thick then I would just blast through it with a rotary tool cutting disk and file it smooth with a hand file. You can still do this with thick acrylic, you just have to be careful that the melted acrylic doesn't form around the disk and cool back down, otherwise you risk cracking the acrylic if it happens at a narrow spot.

I'm not sure I fully understand the second question. If you have a square hole in the side panel, if you put that up there, then you would have holes in the window where the negative space is. If you just want a window to show through with the shape you are showing, then you would just use a square piece of acrylic behind the door panel and cut the shape into the door panel instead.

Welcome! If you give some more information about what you are trying to do, we can give a bit more help. =)
    The style I want is for the acrylic to be flush with the side panel. I saw on another work log someone did what you said about gluing it to a larger piece behind it. But do you know of any other way to get the acrylic flush with the panel. But I have been looking for a while and the idea above seems like the only way. Also I want flush because I want sharp look literally. So ULine would sort of give that up and I dont think it could bend with some of the curves I want. Also do you think I should use a jigsaw and dermel or just dermel? Thanks for the reply Im still planing and the case im doing the model off is the Shinobi XL and only a week left till it comes out.

Shut up and take my money!

I would recommend trying to find someone to laser cut it for the best results, you could try to do it by hand but it may or may not turn out as perfect as you might want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Aldersan View Post
    I would recommend trying to find someone to laser cut it for the best results, you could try to do it by hand but it may or may not turn out as perfect as you might want it.
    Do you mean the acrylic? Because I never saw laser cut steel. Im still in high school so of course there is a budget. How much do you think it would cost for someone with a laser cutter to cut the side and the acrylic to fit. Im also planing a electronic project like the one in SXRguyinMA's Tempest SXR. So if it is cheaper than a rotary blade and files and all that then I will go that route with the laser. Even if it is like $30 more expensive because I will need precise cuts and also very good filing. And if I mess up I need a new sheet of acrylic.

I can cut acrylic up to 8.5"x13.5". I can also supply very precise CAD drawn templates for cutting the metal. It'd still be a lot of hand fitting though if you want the acrylic to inset into the cutout with no slop. I'd really recommend doing a couple layers of acrylic, one 1/16" thick that will match your hole, and another clear piece inside just a little larger to mount it to the inside of the panel.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    I can cut acrylic up to 8.5"x13.5". I can also supply very precise CAD drawn templates for cutting the metal. It'd still be a lot of hand fitting though if you want the acrylic to inset into the cutout with no slop. I'd really recommend doing a couple layers of acrylic, one 1/16" thick that will match your hole, and another clear piece inside just a little larger to mount it to the inside of the panel.
    The problem is that it is going to have these curves over the entire side panel and because it is a ATX full tower it will be like 22" by 22" so sorry. I will try to find a laser cutter in a nearby area around Chicago. But like I said if it is more expensive than all tools by a large amount then I may just try myself and try with a few different pieces of acrylic. Thanks for everyone helping me with these odd cuts.