Thread: Need to learn about small lcd touch screens

Default Need to learn about small lcd touch screens

Not sure that I have told many here, but I have been working on several mod projects at work. One is a computer that is being used in a device that performs hair transplant surgery. The limitation was the depth of the chassis and that dictated how the rest of the components were configured in the system. I got permission to post some info minus the company name so I will be doing that soon. It basically involved sourcing an off the shelf chassis and creating new mounting brackets and a new faceplate to accommodate drive sleds (2) and a DVD R/W. It originally included a fan mount to cool the big GPU they were using, but was removed after they decided on a Quadro card.

My new project is going to be a complete chassis project for another medical device using a 7" touch screen panel to control a specific device (can't give more info at this time).

So what I am looking for is a couple of options for the touch screen monitor. Does anyone have experience with any of these devices?

Thanks in advance!
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Shut up and take my money!

Default Re: Need to learn aboput small lcd touch screens

I'm no expert, but I believe I saw something similar to what you might be talking about in the Doom3 mod, maybe glance that over again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

BTW: This is similar to what this device will look like and we may end up using this system (depending on the touchscreen), with some modifications to the front panel.

Shut up and take my money!

Ooohh looks sweet, work log worthy i hope
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

look into the carputer sites, they use touchscreens a lot to interface with their computers. Just an idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

carputers was going to be my suggestion too. I've seen some fairly clever implementations of touch screen TFT's in many car systems. Try mp3car.com

Thanks guys! Checking these out now.

Whatever way we go I will keep a log and post it (minus names). For a teaser, the heart is involved... You will be able to see inside a beating heart (and perform some intricate operations).

We are still working with the customer on this and we may even go with a case made from scratch. The touch screen will control the device and all computer functions.

Old PDA-type devices are easy to repurpose these days, all the firmware has been hacked and jailbroken to death, it's hard to find a toy which won't run some kind of linux port. Just write your OS or app and plug it in through a flash card to make a custom touchscreen embedded system.

Me, I personally like the CIR/SIR functions, replaced the IRED in my ancient Axim X50v with a beefier one and still use it as a learning-universal-everything remote.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.