Thread: This is a new one

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Default This is a new one

Apparently my power button is on the fritz. Recently, after a cooling system revamp during which some coolant was spilled on the MB (frying my RAM but not, as far as I can tell, landing anywhere near the power button), I began finding that if I didn't push the button in all the way and hear a *click*, the machine would turn on for a few seconds and then shut off.

It didn't seem to be much of an issue, other than irritating. This morning it got so sensitive that if I did *anything* to the button, ie brushed it with a fingertip, pulled up at it when it seemed to get slightly stuck, or just clicked it normally, same thing happened. Power came on for a couple seconds, no picture on the screen, and then it'd shut off.

Luckily my MB has a hardwired power button. I tried that, and same thing. I pulled the top of the case off, kept trying, same result. I finally unplugged the external button. When I did THAT the power came on for a couple seconds then shut off. I let it sit, then hit the hardwired button. After that it was fine.

I guess I need a new external button, as I can't reach the hardwired one when the case top is on. Oy vey...as long as I don't need a new PSU...Anyway, thought I'd share in case anyone else ever encounters a similar issue. It was weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: This is a new one

even though it is sort of rare, it could have just been coincidence that your power button started going bad at the same time you had your deluge problem.

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Default Re: This is a new one

Yeah, I suspect it's just a coincidence. That power button is at least 10 years old: it was the button I used on my first sandcrawler case when I built it back in 2001, and I don't remember if I got it specifically for that or if I had it from an earlier case. Off to buy a new one...
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)