Thread: Where's the cheapest place to get power supply plugs for a total rewiring?

Default Where's the cheapest place to get power supply plugs for a total rewiring?

I'm redoing a PSU, all black connectors and I'm looking for the best price on the connectors. Where do you guys get yours from?
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Default Re: Where's the cheapest place to get power supply plugs for a total rewiring?

I tend to just salvage them and dye them. If you want to do single wire rewire without soldering to an existing wire you'd need to get the little metal pins and such. I don't know which store is cheapest for those or the connectors, so maybe someone else has more information.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: Where's the cheapest place to get power supply plugs for a total rewiring?

Are you doing a complete wire replacement or just a plastic block swapout?

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Complete wire replacement with Turnigy or similar black silicone wire. I'm dealing with millimeter tolerances so I need the wire to get teh fsck out of the way. After that, sleeved up to 1.5" (3.5cm) from the end with MDPC-X sleeve, though not unisleeved-all in a bundle, like we used to do. Let's just say there's a LOT of extra wire in there for a very good reason. Wife approved a good crimper as well. She wants me to do it right, and do it right I will.

Salvage and dye is looking very good right now, unless the connectors are crap.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

I'm lucky to have several fine retailers nearby - RP Electronics, SMI Electronics, Active Tech - along with a host of Pacific Rim merchants and distributors. Their inventories are impressive, although unfortunately not all available on the internet.

Still, sometimes I purchase connectors (in moderate bulk) directly from manufacturers like AMP (Tyco Electronics), Molex, and Foxconn.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Xoxide used to carry these products, but after the ownership change a few years back, customer service took a crap. Caveat Emptor if you decide to shop there.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Turns out there's a fair few proprietary connectors in there. Think I'm gonna vinyl dye them, unless like 4-pin Molex connectors are junk and I'd replace those. With MDPC-X down due to Nils' illness, I'm gonna have to start buckling down and hunting for other options and items. I want MDPC-X, but the sizing isn't available for what I'm looking for.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar