Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Htpc/nas

Default Technics SU-X301 HTPC Stealth Mod

Decided to treat myself for my birthday which was on the second of Feb.

Here are the parts I will start with.

Case - SilverStone LC10-E Black - Perfect case with 7 internal 3.5" bays which will accommodate my NAS (planning on going with 3x 2TB HDDs) as well as backup drives (will mod some, well 3x 2TB usb 3.0 WD external drives. SO they are mounted in the case but plugged in via their usb cables at rear, so when not in use they will be simpily unplugged. They will just be straight clones of the media drives and updated when necessary). The case also has a great seamless finish to the front with a nicely integrated OP drive cover which will look great no matter where it sits.

CPU - Intel Core i3 2100 - Perfect low power CPU that will happily manage some light gaming (I am contemplating putting one of the 560s in this and using switchable graphics so the 95 of the time only the HD2000 graphics will be used)

Mobo - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard -
    Has all the connections I need, decent cooling for 24/7 running and may as well go for an ATX board my case will fit it with ease.

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-U9B SE2 - Noise is a huge thing as well as cool running and considering the prices of other low profile coolers there really was nothing to stop this being a great choice.

PSU - Corsair CX-600 V2 Power Supply - Overkill... maybe but it will run dead silent once i mod it and it will easily handle the 7770 I plan on installing in the future and come the end of the day when it is time to replace things I could remove every part of the build and make a decent low-mid end gaming rig.

OP Drive - Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW OEM - Pure Black unlike many other OP drives so that alone was enough for me to spend an extra $4 on it.

RAM - G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ (2x2GB) DDR3 - RAM is RAM is RAM and this suits my need perfectly and cheaply.

Case Fans - Noctua NF-R8 80mm Fan - Again noise is a huge thing.

TV Tuner - Hauppauge HVR2200 MCE PCIe Dual Hybrid - Already have a Hauppauge remote and this will work perfectly for recording and watching HD TV.

To be added later.

- New HDDS

- Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G

The Case

Default Re: Htpc/nas

15/02/2012

Stuff is here now and the build can begin soon

Big pile-o-crap

The case

Pretty face

PSU vent and buttons, connectors ect.

The rear, plenty of expansion contemplating modding four of the brackets for an exhaust fan

CPU vent

Very solid bar across the case you can even lift and move the whole case with it, everything is rather thick and it means there is a decent bit of weight to it.

The front fan slots need to remove the covers first

A shot of the front stealth vents and the rubber feet

Ohh a box of goodies what is inside

Brackets to mount a HDD in one of the 5 1/2" bays. more screws than you could point a dead cat at as well as a replacement rubber rin for the feet.
    The more important thing howevet is what was found in the little brown paper square. A lovely piece of black aluminium to make the DVD drive stealth and a strip of 3M double sided tape.

The Cooler

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6642754...n/photostream/
    Ummmmmm it should fit :lol: if not there is a pc at the front door in desperate need of a new cooler it only has an intel stock cooler.

Exceptionally well packed very happy

Every part of it expresses th quality with which it was made however the sleeve on the fan is rather sticky

All the mounting hardware, lna and ulna adaptors, instructions and the second fan

More to come tomorrow no time to build now because off to go get dads new car soon.

Shut up and take my money!

Nice case, cant wait to see it all together!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Nice cooler - I reviewed a different Noctua cooler recently and said the same thing - every part of it shows the attention to detail they put into the thing

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    Nice cooler - I reviewed a different Noctua cooler recently and said the same thing - every part of it shows the attention to detail they put into the thing
    Mhmmmm it is real nice can't do much work today although I do have something.

Modding the PSU

Goodbye warranty

All complete now and yes I did the paper clip test before modding. It still works now and runs very quiet pulling lots of air. it will be used to exhaust some heat from the case. I could have had a better PSU than this Corsair 600watt but I knew I would be modding it.

And a look at the stock Yate Loon fan

Off to buy american honey and coke party time for no other reasoon than a party.

Will try do some more tomorrrow.

Some fans in

Here is what is going in some Noctura R8 80mm fans

Had to remove the supporting bar to get to the front fans, this is because the HDD bays needed to come out.

If you look at all the pairs of holes on top of the different bays you can see that Silverstone has design the entire series of cases so that the main chassis and internals are all interchangeable. meaning they can manufacture more cheaply and give more product for your money. The holes line up with the supporting bar.

One bay out, I will need to remove them again when it comes time to install HDDs which is rather annoying. Now to remove that piece of metal in my way.

With it gone you can see where the power on/off reset buttons and io ports are.

Started to install the fan and realised wait I am never going to make it work like this not enough room.

Much better with the mount removed from the cage instillation is very easy.

Did the other one too

Popped out the mesh on the side intake and then u was stumped

The holes are not large enough for the anti vibration mounts or the screws they are way too small. First negative I have with the case.

Motivation for the day disappeared :lol: and now I need to find the battery charger for my cordless because using the corded drills is a little silly.

First Boot

Installing the power supply, turned out to be bit of an issue.

Had to completely remove then put back in the PSU power plug just so I could get it passes the case when it was reverse mounted.

Installed

Rear fans installed too, decided for now the side fan will stay out.

The motherboard....

....and the CPU that now make it 3 2nd gen intel CPUs in the house all from Costa Rica

A little comparison of the two heatsinks beside each other... no prizes for guessing which I like more.

It is in and it fits so very, very happy

Shot of the clearance

The RAM now to make it fit under the cooler.

As you can see the RAM fits and everything does turn on just a bit of a mess atm.

It is a massive mess of cables but it turned on with all bar two fans spinning. It seems two of the mobo fan headers don't want to play nice, I switched fans around and it is the headers but until i boot up properly with well a monitor attached :lol: I cannot determine what needs to be done to make them spin.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Too bad you couldn't get a modular PSU. That would greatly clean the case up. But you could (should) cut the cables to the lenth you need insteand of trying to stuff them somewhere. Cut out the ones that are not needed in the PSU housing and then just sodder them back in later when/if you need them.

Just some suggestions.

Was already planning on doing so considering the warranty is entirely void

Any further work on this will have to wait unroll I can get a couple of HDDs on special, which may leave me waiting for some time :/

Although I have in talking with a friend, that owns the LC13B-E, come up with another part of the project that I was still unsure on. This bit will need to wait for a little while though, until I settle into my new uni course which starts up Monday.

Here is the plan though if it makes sense.

http://m.flickr.com/lightbox?id=6900437097

What I hope to get done this weekend is build my new bed and desk.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

PM TGS about some HDDs. I picked up some 2TB ones and I think they were like $75ish each.