Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: R2server

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Default Re: R2server

Quote Originally Posted by Rankenphile
    You've got a lot of knowledge for all sorts of mechanical and electrical engineering, and have always been a big help on this site. I know a couple of IT guys who sound a lot like you.

I'll tell you what, this R2 Project has double my knowledge. I've been talking to guys that have designed things for years, Mech and Eleco. To figure some of the things out, Then I still have to sit here and do the old....Now what was he saying about this angle and that angle.....Screw it!, this looks about right!

I've always loved working with kids, Even when I was one I tried to help where I could. Now that I'm in the "Big Kid" category I try and help everyone (older, younger, the same) I've been getting allot of help with this project. Most of it is in the form of Ideas, allot has been in learning skills, and very little has been in work. When I started I didn't know how to weld, lay fiberglass, or see the usefulness in really bending sheet metal (not just 90degs or 45 degs) but designing / fabricating sheet metal. Now I can weld with an oxyacetylene torch, fiber glassing can be fun , and I'm making shapes out of sheet alum that I never thought I'd make!
    It's been fun, I guess that's what I call a good hobby. For me it's less about how many cases I pounded out and more about the experience gained in the creation of a case. To that end I've tried to pass on what I've learned to all of you!

Crazybillybob

This weekend was productive for me
    I was able to get a few detail pieces painted. This blue color takes allot of time, as there is 3 coats of primer, 3 coats of metallic purple base, 3 coats of blue metal fleck candy, and 3-5 coats clear.. These only have 3 clear I have some touchups to do on some so I'll smooth the clear with 1000grit and lay 2-3 more coats soon.
    Some of these pics are a little dark (it was night and I was outside)

The Purple Base

The Blue Candy

The Finished Product

I also was able to cut out new Shoulder mounts so hopefully the legs will be mounted on R2 this week!

To make the mounts I cut out 2 Rectangles of plywood. Then laid out the start and stop points of my notches. These notches allow me to stand R2 up (2Leg) for transport by removing his front leg. While also allowing me to drive him in 3 leg mode with out him falling over. I used a compass to draw in the center line of the notches.

Then I center punched holes along the center line, I'm using a 1/4 hole so I tried to keep the centers just over 1/4" apart (less filing later)

Next It's just a matter of drilling allot of holes.

After a bit of clean up here's the finished Product.

Saturday Morning I loaded R2 Up, for a Road Trip to Detroit for the MI R2-Builders Meet. There were only 4 R2's at this meet and only one that was complete...Sadly my pics of him Suck so their not here. But here are a couple of pic from the meeting.

Matt Bush (Star Wars Artist) Stopped by and fun was had by all!

While I was out on Saturday The Pic Flasher came in the mail...WOW that was Fast! So I put it together (some idiot forgot to take a pic of the parts not assembled ) But here it is all wired up.

And here it is all lite up!

These big LEDs are just there to test it, I'm going back to the Drawing board with my big display so it will be a little bit before we see it all up and running.

All in all it was a good weekend, my wife was sick with a fever (her flu shot got her!) but was better by late Sunday, but even with that it was a good weekend!

I'll get another update up soon (I've gotta mount those shoulder blocks!)

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-08-2012 at 11:42 PM.

If it's the one from Carl's Electronics then it's the same one! (I know that they order it from another company so It's a very good chance they are the same!)

It will drive well over a hundred LEDs If you hook it up per the Directions, but more if you go Series/Parallel!

If you've got any Q's let me know.

Crazybillybob

I've gotta get a Webcam for R2. Once I get it and the display worked out I'll host some video of it.

Crazybillybob

The next complicated piece that I need for R2 is the Ankles. They need to be very strong as all the weight of R2 is on them and is multiplied several times in a hard turn (hey if he's R/C I want to play!). My solution to this is Fiberglass Reinforced with a 1/4" alum plate on one side and a 1/8" plate on the other side.
    In thinking about this I realized that I've got to make a mold for the fiberglass. So I fired up some CAD software and a few hours later, I've got a vertical Mold. In the pics the mold supports are the Green and the ankle is blue. I only drew in the plywood forms, I'll skin the inside with 0.04" Styrene (I've got some extra around here) this way the fiberglass will be nice and smooth.

Now That I have a Plan I can start building the mold. Then Lay more glass!
    Keep checking in I'll post more as it's built.

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-08-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Oh sure, get all excited now, but don't expect an apology from us when you can't decide if you should spend your money on rent or servos and plexi!
    Wait, Your supposed to stop and think about it? Hands down the answer is servos and Plexi. Wait that's a trick Question, I don't pay rent I have a mortgage

Crazybillybob

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan
    Damn! You're one high tech redneck! How the hell are you gonna fabricate that stuff??
    With a little "Farmer" Engineering, and my trusty band saw.

Look for an update in the morning and you'll see the start!

Crazybillybob

Yesterday I stopped by ASAP Source They're located just up the road from my office. I was there for cheap Aluminum plates ASAP calls them randoms, really it's just scrap or mistakes from cutting or machining. I picked up 2 6"x9" 1/4" 6061 Aluminum plates, an a 18"x24" 0.08" 3003 sheet for $17us (that's with taxes). I was happy , to top that find off the hobby shop called, I went there looking for retractable landing gear door hinges ( because their designed to allow the door to close flush with the skin of the plane when the hinge is mounted inside the plane), we had to order some and they had came in. So here's my haul form yesterday.

I also started cutting out the plywood supports for the mold (this is how I'm going to fabricate all those lines in the drawing!). I Printed out all the pieces of the forms on paper (from the drawing)

Once it was printed I Sprayed the back of the paper with Spray adhesive.

I left it get tacky (3-5 mins) then stuck it to the 1/4" plywood. A few minutes at the band saw and you have this.

Support ribs for the mold. I need to add some bevels in a few places then all the pieces will be attached to a base board (makes it easy to move around). Once cut and beveled I'll skin the inside of the mold with styrene (it will smooth out allot of the irregularities in my cuts and it bends easier then plywood! I hope to get the mounting and skinning done this weekend but I have an upgrade to do at a plant also this weekend, so I'm not sure how much I'll get done (IE. If the upgrade is smooth I'll get allot done, if it's not ...You will not hear from me till Tuesday or Wednesday! )
    I also started laying out the 1/4" Alum reinforcing plate as well.

That's all I completed yesterday!
    Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-08-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Can you show a detail of the hinges? I'm interested to see how they work.
    There is a Closer picture of them sitll in the bag nested under retractable landing gear door hinges in the post (and here). As I have not taken them out of the bag yet, so can't do any better. I was really tempted to open them up last night, but there's some tiny screws and nylon bushings in there, and my one cat runs off with anything not nailed down (for some reason it ends up under couch or dresser? ). But I will make sure there are sevral pics of the hinges (with very good detail). As I need sevral more of these for the rest of the doors on R2 I maybe make some of my own too! So you'll be seeing allot more of them don't worry !

Crazybillybob

Hi All,
    As you could guess I made no progress over the weekend, In fact I had little sleep over the weekend. Last night after work I was able to get some work done. I have both the Aluminum Plates cut out for the ankle (I've not worked with this thick of aluminum before with my cheapy band saw...Wow it cut like warm butter, the Cheap band saw cut 1/4" Aluminum better then it does 1/4" plywood! ) I still have to drill the hole in the plate, but I've gotta pick up the bronze bushing that goes in there first!

I was also able to put the Bevels on the Plywood mold supports and Dry-fit them on the Mounting board. This will give you a better Idea how I'm going to make the fiberglass molds. I see that I'll need some added cross supports but those will be easily added.

With the mold form and Aluminum plate laying around I had to show how close they fit together.

Once that was done I took a closer look at the hinges I'm using on R2's Doors (yes several of the doors will open on R2!)
    Here is the way they come. The hooked part goes on the door then the nylon busing and bolt hold it to the small mount. To put this in perspective A Grain of minute rice is longer then that lock nut is wide!.

This is how they look put together.

That's it for now, I'll try and get more up later this week!
    Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-11-2012 at 03:22 AM.