Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: R2server

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Default Re: R2server

Last night I worked on getting the new shoulder blocks adjusted to fit the legs and the frame, as well as drilled the 4 mounting holes in the spacer block for the right leg.

The blocks still need to be mounted onto the frame, but I had to snap a few pics for you to see where I'm at.

Tonight I'll fasten the block to the frame and install the lower stringer (Links the bottom edge of the shoulder block together, and hopefully get the Outer wooden shell on the Right Leg.

Crazybillybob

EDIT: I'm playing with Thumbnails, Click Pic to enlarge.
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-19-2012 at 12:28 AM.

The shoulder Blocks are mounted, and the cross member installed.

Also the Leg shell is prepped for installation (still needs a little adjustment for a great fit)

I didn't get the Leg shell installed but I really wanted to get another work in progress pic so I just taped it in place with some masking tape.

Here's R2 Back in September

Now here's R2 Today

Some of the detail pieces were slipped in so you can get an Idea of where they go, and some are just held on with tape....A dry fit.

Thanks for dropping in....More later,
    Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-19-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Last couple of days have been crap for me. Wednesday my wife's truck Died, Had a loose Battery connection. Not Hard to fix just took forever to find (Oh, and I missed work fixing it ) Thursday Afternoon one of our main Database servers went down at work so need less to say I worked late to get it back up and running. To top it off I found that Some of the most intricate detail pieces that I painted....2-3 months ago still haven't dried.
    I painted the whole piece with the Rustolem chrome paint (didn't mask anything off) then I spend 2 hour masking all the little areas off. Then they were scuffed lightly with 220 grit. The purple metallic base was laid , then the blue candy was laid (3-4 coats of each). Now the other parts I painted that day are rock hard now, but they didn't have the chrome on them. These parts are still tacky and you leave finger prints in the paint, and some places are bubbled.

My answer to that problem....

Yeap, Sand it all the way back to primer, Then Re primer and repaint all the details.

That's all I've gotten done since the last update...Sucks I know!

Target Practice is coming up this weekend so I'm not sure how much I'll get done....Maybe allot...Maybe none...We'll see.

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-19-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Well after a weekend of no progress. My Buddy Target practice was up and we went to the local pub, and had some of the best Irish whiskeys...18yr old Jameson, 21 yr old Bushmills, and some Middleton.

This week I made some progress on the leg-Foot joining. I drilled a 3/8" (9.525mm) hole through the channel in the foot. Then ran the 3/8" x 2" (9.525mm X 5.08cm) Grade 8 bolt through one side of the channel, through the ankle bushing, and out the other side of the channel.

The completed leg Assembly still needs some adjustments. I have to pick up and install some 3/8" washers to go in between the channel walls and the ankle, as well as the bolt head, Channel wall and the nut, Channel wall locations. I'll pick those up today and get working on the other leg tonight.

Thanks for Stopping by,
    Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-19-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Rankenphile

Great work, as always, CBB. Your attention to detail is inspiring.

So, how far along, percentage-wise, do you think this project is? What is left to do once you finish the feet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rankenphile
    Great work, as always, CBB. Your attention to detail is inspiring.

So, how far along, percentage-wise, do you think this project is? What is left to do once you finish the feet?
    I'd Say after the side feet are attached I'm 35%-40% done. (but 50% will come Quickly after!)
    The short list of things are:
    Skin the outer legs.
    Primer and paint Outer Legs and feet.
    The Center leg, ankle, foot channel.
    Mounting the Front Vent Bracket.
    Gluing on the front Skins.
    Mounting the back door.
    Prep and paint skins.
    Etch the Dome.
    Drill all the holes for the details on the dome.
    Paint the dome.
    Wire the Drive system.
    Wire the power distribution.
    Wire the Electronic Effects.
    Install the PC components.
    Design an build the Dome Rotation Mech.
    Make the Fiberglass Details (needs to get warmer)!
    Paint all the remaining Detail pieces.
    Mount all the Detail pieces.
    Design and build fan ducts for the Front vents (to cool PC and Motor controllers)
    Design Batt Charging System.
    Design and build the Sound System.
    Finish Droid Control Software.
    ....I think I may have miss some things. Some of these will be done together others can not be completed till I get more parts (ordered or made).
    Plus there are some "Added Features" that I'd love to get in him, but I've gotta finish the basics first. It's only taken 2 years to get this far, but I'm getting there!

Crazybillybob

Rankenphile

I don't know if you have figured out the design for the dome rotation, but I came across something a while ago that might work for it. I've got it buried in my garage somewhere, but basically it's the bearing track for a lazy susan. You could mount it under the outer edge of the dome, or along a track up inside it if the diameter doesn't fit, along with a tooled gear track along the inner diameter and a motor control to turn it left and right...

I've got it somewhere, I'll have to see if it's still in there. You're a better engineer than I, and you probably have an idea for it already that would work better (I already see problems with wiring getting pulled or twisted in this design if not wired with proper slack, anchor points and a method to prevent it), but if it helps, I can dig it up and shoot a couple pics for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Rankenphile
    I don't know if you have figured out the design for the dome rotation, but I came across something a while ago that might work for it. I've got it buried in my garage somewhere, but basically it's the bearing track for a lazy susan. You could mount it under the outer edge of the dome, or along a track up inside it if the diameter doesn't fit, along with a tooled gear track along the inner diameter and a motor control to turn it left and right...

I've got it somewhere, I'll have to see if it's still in there. You're a better engineer than I, and you probably have an idea for it already that would work better (I already see problems with wiring getting pulled or twisted in this design if not wired with proper slack, anchor points and a method to prevent it), but if it helps, I can dig it up and shoot a couple pics for ya.

I've got a 12" round lazy susan that has a 6 3/5" hole in the middle. I've gotta make up a plate that will mount inside the dome so I have someting to screw the susan too. That was easy the drive part is harder...As I'm not sure weather I go gear (which I'll have to custom design) or Friction roller...that parts still up in the air. I've gotta get the lazy susan mounted first then I'll figure the drive out! If your lazy suasn has a gear track in it shot me some pics...I may take it off your hands!!! (can't be more then 17 5/8 around though or it will not fit in the dome. I'm still working out the power cord twisty thing.

Crazybillybob

Rankenphile

Are you planning on allowing the head to turn a full 360, or just a limited range, like 90 degrees?

Oh, and if you need gears of any sort, let me know. I've got a good sized stock of gears left over from my days working in the print shops.

I'm looking into making it do a full 360 degree rotation. But I'll have to see how everything fits together, to decide how to make it happen.

Crazybillybob