Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maximum Security

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Maximum Security

I did some work with SketchUp tonight. I want to dress up the radiator since it will now be hanging off the back of the case rather than be inside it. I used my Black Ice 140 radiator to make one in SketchUp. Then I used the following picture of an industrial rooftop A/C unit to design a shroud that will screw to the backside of the radiator and fit in with the overall theme of the project. I plan to make this shroud out of white styrene sheet just like I made the louver assembly for my Tempest SXR (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...d.php?p=289709) mod a while back. Enjoy the pics

Minor update.

I decided on a location for the Koolance flow meter. Theres this spot where the cables pass through and it fits nicely with a pair of 90º Bitspower fittings I got from x88x. The only problem is that pesky piece of the frame in the way. Only one thing to do...cut it out!

That's better This will be visible behind the window I put into the side panel, along with one of the protoboards from ProtoStack. I've got an idea of what to use the board for, now I just need to make it happen

I also decided to mount my Sentry 2 fan controller in this side panel rather than the front 5.25" bays. I already have experience mounting it without it's housing from my Tempest SXR mod, so this should be cake.

I measured and marked the hole, cut it out with my Dremel and filed it down nice and smooth.

Here's an idea of how it will look. All I need to do is make up some mounts for it on the inside, which should be rather easy.

Update time!

I got the actuator mounted! I used a hole that was already in the case as the rear mount, and used double-sided tape for the front to get the positioning correct. I set the actuator to full close, closed the door and stuck it on. It doesn't open 90º, but it's like 88º

Once I got the position correct and verified, I drilled the side panel to mount the bracket for the actuator. This nut and bolt will not be the final parts, they're just there for temporary mounting.

I also used a jigsaw to finish cutting out the rest of the side panel, then filed it down nice and smooth. I still need to do some finish grinding and filing to get the edges nice and straight, but it's a start.

Then I mounted the plastic covers back to the side panel to stiffen it, and retried the actuator to make sure everything was 100%

And a video, of course I set the code to run the actuator full open, wait 9 seconds, then full close, repeat. The reason for 9 seconds is that it takes ~4 seconds for the actuator to fully extend or retract.

And another update

I cut out a piece of black acrylic to use as a fill panel to hide all the slots and holes on the side of the 5.25" bays.

Next I marked and drilled 10 holes. 4 for the flow meter and 6 for the ProtoStack board. Each is held in by a 4-40 stainless allen head screw with a nut to act as a spacer. The acrylic itself is mounted in the same fashion to the side of the 5.25" drive bays.

And here's how it will look through the window in the side. The window is not installed here, but I put the panel on to get an idea. I'm going to use the ProtoStack board to run some interior lighting, wait till you see what I've got planned

Next I marked and drilled 4 holes in the top panel for the RFID reader.

Now the reader has pin headers and a barrel jack on it that won't allow it to fit under the window that will be there, so I had to break out the jigsaw again

I mounted the RFID reader in the same fashion as the ProtoStack board and flow meter, with 4-40 SS screws with nuts for spacers to keep the contacts off the metal of the case. It now fits perfectly under the window

Minor update. Got some goodies in

3 120mm Cooler Master Turbine Master 1800RPM fans

A Phobya Radiator Gasket

A Phobya 20x140mm radiator spacer

Black Ice Pro II 240mm low profile radiator

Fans mounted to top rad

And how it looks installed in the case. The rear 120mm fan will be as shown, with the rad spacer and 140mm rad behind the case. The spacer is necessary so that the fittings from the top of the rad will be able to go through the LC holes in the case.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

think you could use a larger gauge bolt, with a bolt sleeve and some washers for the actuator arm?

then join the actuator arm with the bolt sleeve (maybe with epoxy), use two washers between the bolts and larger diameter washers between the mating surface of the chassis? maybe with some skateboard/bicycle bearing grease between the washers and inside the bolt sleeve.

and some bolts to extend that couple on the door would let it extend out the full 90 degrees or better.

just a idea though.

Minor update. I got bored while waiting for UPS to arrive this Friday with the rest of my goods so I decided to lap my processor. I looked pretty well flat, but I was surprised just how much it was off. These pics go from 400 grit through 1500 grit, and all I've got left to do is polish it

Expect an update this weekend after UPS drops off my drool-inducing goods

Parts are in. Enjoy

EK-Supreme HF CPU block

Laing DDC pump with Phobya Black Nickel pump top

Phobya Balancer 150mm Black Nickel res

And a nice pile of Bitspower Black Sparkle fittings

Big update this time, I got a lot done this weekend!

I got the top 3-way splitter's mounting holes drilled.

I also got the Phobya pump top mounted. Damn is that thing heavy!

Then I got the res and pump temporarily installed to check fitment.

Then I made up a pump mount plate from black acrylic. I used the 4 120mm fan mounts in the bottom of the chassis to mount it, along with 4 rubber dampers.

Then I ran into an issue with the rear radiator. I thought just the single Phobya rad spacer would be enough, but it wasn't The fittings still wouldn't fit in the holes. I found that if I used a 140mm fan on the outside of the case then put the rad spacer and rad on that they fit perfectly. So I decided to not use the 120mm turbine fan and use the 140mm fan that came with the case because it's still got that look I want. I decided to cut out the rear of the case so you'd be able to see the fan.

Now the fittings line up nicely! I had to run to the hardware store and get some 10-28 x 3" SS screws to hold everything together. I drilled and tapped the rad to accept the larger screws (for strength) and cut the screws down to about 2.25".

I also picked up this cheap momentary key switch off eBay for $3.

I drilled out the stock power button mount and installed the key switch. It fits in there perfectly.

I had to cut the stock button mount in half to clear the key switch. I'll still need to either modify the steel part of the case or bend the tabs on the switch to make it fit 100%

That's it for now! Once my motherboard comes back from Gigabyte I can get the bottom 3-way splitter mounts done, then it'll be time to drill out a TON of rivets and paint the case! Stay tuned

Minor update.

I got the case disassembled (mostly). I plan on leaving the drive bays as a single piece like they are for ease of assembly later.

I also got the EK waterblock mounted to my 6870.

Bye bye warranty!

All cleaned up and ready to go.

MMMmmmm shiny

All ready to install!

I should have the case painted this weekend. I've got to steal the garage for a few days to paint. Scuff, primer, sand, primer, paint!