Thread: Liquid Cooled Carpc.

Fresh Paint

Default Liquid Cooled Carpc.

I decided to make a small worklog in here as this is the true forum for this.

I have the complete thing @ http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=207889

So if you want more details, you can just go to bit-tech.net and find it. I also have my other mods there.

Just a short background info:

I love to mod my computers. I have only one rule, and that is that it must be watercooled. From there the project will take a life of it's own.

My stationary is a neverending mod, and I also made a Watercooled Nintendo Wii that some of you may have seen online.

So when it came to my carpc there wasn't really any choice. As I live in Denmark, water is a bad option since we get -20 degrees centigrade in the winter. So it's going to have engine coolant running through it's vains.

But on with the pictures.

I started out with a standard Xenarc MP-SC3. This has been working great for a couple of years, but something new had to happen.

I have a couple of sponsors on this project;

Mushkin Enhanced hooked me up with 2 gigs of memory.

Centrafuse were willing to pitch in with a complete version with Western Europe navigation maps in!

Runcore helped me out with a 32GB SSD!

I made a couple of sketches of how the finished product would look, but this tends to change along the way.

Topless:

Top mounted:

As the renderings show, the front will be curved plexi. I made that with a piece of wood I cut and then baked it in the oven:

Top and Bottom plates roughly made in the CNC mill:

The Aluminum Front panel got started in the cnc as well:

And done:

Mounted, with a modded aircooler for setting up the pc, before moving on the watercooling:

Backplate done, and mounted. Fits perfectly! :

Top of the case finished, with a word from our sponsors:

The waterblock:

The reservoir parts done:

Most of the parts put in, just the pump missing:

I tend to mess up the pump when I mod it, and this was no exception. Broke 2 of them and have just received 2 more. But it DOES get pretty heavily modded...

The stock pump, look at the size! :

Aluminum impeller for the pump:

Impeller done, and mounted on the stock magnetic part:

All the parts for the pump:

Assembled:

I won 3rd place in MOTM on Bit-tech.net for this, and to hide the ugly green pcb, I decided to make a small plaque:

It had a scratch on it, so I made a new one. 

Filling the system was not fun… I had no room for a fillport or anything, so I had to drown the loop to get all the air out:

Filled:

Aluminum front mounted:

And with the top on:

Hope you like it! 

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Liquid Cooled Carpc.

Thanks a lot guys!

Finally It's done!

So here are the pics from the last photoshoot!

That's it guys! Hope you like it!

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    that may just be the coolest carputer evar!

are you puttin' that jank up on mp3car.com too?
    It IS in there! Just do a search on it.

And the pics IN the car.

Now noone can say it's not a CarPc!

Fresh Paint

what are you using for a monitor?
    It's a fully motorized in-dash touchscreen. It's called K90, it says "Cartft.de" on the label!

I bought it second hand after breaking 2 others.. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    That's the problem with my car pc.. it turned into a media server because I am too cheap to buy an ssd so I dont have to worry about head crashes.
    In all honesty I only had one hdd die on me in 3 years of driving around. It was a 2.5" so it's a bit more sturdy than the 3.5 though!

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Very nice.. looks right at home there! I'm with Xr4man, whats the control side of things look like, if you don't mind me/us asking. Details man! We like detail.

Nice work!!
    Sorry!

As stated above, I use a 7" motorized touchscreen.
    And I use the Centrafuse frontend. No way to navigate in windows on a 7" touch!

I actually got the Centrafuse sponsored. After using it for their 30 day fully open trial period I was sold! I tried a couple other frontends, but this is just so frikkin easy to use.

Hope that answers your question!

Fresh Paint

yeah, thanks.

i've tried centrafuse and i like it. also tried riderunner and frodo and something else windows based. i like centrafuse because it lets you interface with garmin pc.

i also tried linux ICE. which i liked a lot and it even recognized the gps antenna i pluggin without a hitch. but i could not get the gps nav to work. i could bring up a map of where i was, but i couldn't figure out how to get it to give me directions. that was a few years ago, so maybe there's a new better version out.
    I tried Roadrunner back then, didn't really do it for me. But the options were limited some years ago unless you were a programmer and wanted to mess around with it!

I always wanted to try linux purely for speed. But I never got around to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    My hard drive would be practically sitting on two 12 inch subwoofers.. if I have my way it will be 15s soon i would need an ssd i think.
    Yeah, then you go from bumpy to bouncy! lol

I've been meaning to steal a 12" Earthquake shallow from a friend for some time now, but we just never got around to it. I only have a single 10" in there now and it's okay. My main concern is the space, and a shallow can be built into my spare wheel so nothing get's taken out!

My pc is so old that it's runing IDE not SATA. That made it a bit harder to find an ssd, but it's around $100-130 for a 32gb and mine cut the boot time in half!