Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shedding Voltage?

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: Shedding Voltage?

Okay, now the question becomes: How safe is it really to run fans like this, in terms of the PSU? I won't be upgrading my PSU any time soon (850W cooler master PSU FTW) and I don't want to do anything that's going to make it bug out or blow capacitors or anything.

edit\\

and also i'm only going to have a 2 position switch. up for 12v, down for 7. no need to turn the fans off completely, they're going to be quiet enough at 7v that it won't bother me and the whole rig goes on standby after an hour being idle so it's not like i would need to shut off the fans independently or anything.
    Last edited by Omega; 02-27-2012 at 06:33 PM.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Got it all soldered, heatshrinked, hooked up and mounted.

With the sharks at 7v, the system core temps idle at 35c, GPU idle temp at 43c.
    With the sharks at 12v, the system core temps idle at 29c, gpu idle temp at 40c.

It's heaps louder at 12V but the improvement in the cooling is definitely noticeable.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Cool - glad it all worked - I have been thinking about doing something similar myself (which is why I had the 7v answer all ready as soon as I saw the thread) just never got around to it yet - my server runs 4 120mm intakes, 3 120mm exhausts and a pair of 92mm exhausts so getting that fan noise down should be good

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

i do the 7v mod on almost all my fans that i don't have a controller for.
    Not dead yet

Having it switched is extra nice. the Sharks have crazy airflow which is awesome when I'm gaming but not so desirable when I'm watching TV shows or trying to get to sleep.

Plus having my little setup kicks the crap out of having a fan controller. No having to worry about fiddling with each fan individually or trying to figure out how to wire them in all right proper way or whatever. It was pretty no-nonsense

Shut up and take my money!

Lol my fan controller is one knob that controls 4 fans and lets me have more precise control for not much more effort
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

mines the same just for 5. lol
    Not dead yet