Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Stealthlow

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Project Stealthlow

I got back to the fabrication side of things since I can't do any more sleeving until I get the extra heatshrink & wow I really thought this would take a bit longer to do but I breezed through all the windows in a few hours & only a few of them needed a tiny bit of filing to fit in lol but it looks like the alu needs giving a nice finish again & the edges of the acrylic still need sanding so they are nice & smooth which should keep me busy for tomorrow .

Of course I'd love to rip the protective backing off to show it off good but I want to keep it all perfect for when the time is right .

So I thought about reducing the scuffs the jigsaw leaves by covering the base of it with masking tape, it worked .

Here is the 1000mm x 500mm x 3mm light tint acrylic ready marked, was nice & simple to do, just plonked the side panels on & traced around the holes.

First panel done.

Both panels done.

At this rate if I go & buy a bunch of clamps this week some time I could do the acrylic curve this week also but I still need to add sata data pass through holes on the motherboard tray.

Here is a sample of the light tint acrylic stuck to the 2mm clear acrylic, can't say I'm impressed really but maybe it would look better than bolts especially if I only used a faint blob on the edges of the ends of the windows, other option would be to make sure it all gets an even coat of the adhesive so it's all uniform.

Well I'm very eager to get these windows stuck but I'm gonna have to wait for the glue syringes to arrive so I can apply it better, dunking something in the glue & trying to apply it is just not gonna happen as it leaves a trail of adhesive & makes applying it a nightmare lol so instead took a few more pics of the side panel & 1 piece peeled back a bit as a teaser lol & it's in the best lighting possible broad daylight.

Hopefully I'll be able to continue really soon .

Nearly forgot to add the following.
    Going off the testing I just done though I'll go with applying a tiny blob of the adhesive to both ends & the middle to fix the windows to a 1 piece clear acrylic internal panel that bolts on from the outside, it will give a slight imperfection to the windows but it'll look better than bolts I think .

I went & cut the dark tint to go with original plan of alternating the tints I also had to mount the 2mm clear acrylic pieces to the other side before I could stick the windows to it & had to bolt it down in quite a few spots so the tinted windows would stay flush.

Yeah so the function part is spot on but cosmetically if viewed from some perspectives & with the right lighting it looks bad but found under the good lighting in my room it looks pretty sweet.

Enjoy the pics for now though .

This shot really shows how bad looking the blobs are.

One panel partially done but requires some good thinking to hide the adhesive messes .

And up next the right panel.

Suggestions welcome, not sure if I should re attempt doing these windows with a different fixing technique, I have thought about adding trim but wow I'll need to ponder on designs that will compliment the original design which will be hard but doable I think, could even prompt me to try something a little arty but it would have to be quite subtle to look right .

One last look at the case before I do the new panel & windows, the new alu sheet came today.

Got the ATX, CPU, PCI-X, Sata power cables complete & my index finger is partially numb with grasping the pliers soooo hard lol, hopefully feeling will return & it's only temporary .

And tested all cables .

Still got Molex cables & fan cables to sleeve but they should be far far far easier going on my hands lol .

I sent corsair the email to jackflash & ramguy on the 24-Mar about me knackering the main ATX cable when trying to sleeve it, even mentioning I'm willing to pay for it since it was me who screwed up the cable lol then I joined their forum after googling about corsair support & seeing quite a few people waiting forever, made a new thread just to get in the picture of how it works, a moderator said they don't reply but instead just send out the replacement cables as soon as they are available, anyway I got an email on the 28th saying they don't have any at the moment but as soon as they have they'll get 1 sent out , the next day I got another email saying thanks for contacting corsair customer support please allow 1-2 business days for process .

Today it arrived in the post awesome, thats good going since it had to ship from America but an awesome chap on another forum made diagrams of where the wires go before starting doing his so I had it fixed well before the replacement cable came lol but nontheless corsair came though .

So I guess people who have been waiting a really long time either didn't communicate too well with them or contacted the wrong email or it got lost in post, for me they were very good & I wouldn't need to think twice about buying more corsair stuff, good service & I'd expect even better if your in the US so I give corsair 2 thumbs up .

Here is the new cable not that it's needed now though.

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    holy wow this thing has progressed since the last time I saw it!! I absolutely love this case!! very cool.
    Thanks a lot billygoat333 .

Ah you will all just have to take my word for it that I've completed the alu work on the new side panel & for the first time ever I modded out in the garden & wow it was a really nice change, had a bit to clean up but was worth it, so much nicer modding out in the open with the sun out, hopefully it will be nice the next day or 2 so I can carry on modding outside .

Got the sheet marked, cut, all the windows cut out, mounting holes added, filed & sanded all the inside & outside edges & brushed both sides, you have all seen this process before lol, this time I didn't even clamp the panel down while cutting so was able to complete the cutting a lot faster than usual & was just as accurate.

Tomorrow if I can find the time I'll start on cutting the 5mm acrylic windows

Ah who am I kidding I just had to go & take a picture even though you've all seen this many times, not got my tripod at hand though, making this case has been a little like playing braid lol .

And here is the window pieces from my last effort, taken this morning so had the tripod at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Hahahaha, delightfully nerdy statement.

The new window/side panel looks great.
    Really made sense to me to put that in there thanks 88 .

Would have got all the 5mm windows cut to size today but something came up so had to pack up, anyway got back onto it in the evening & with my new love of modding under a nice blue sky I carried on until it got dark, the spotlight on the jigsaw is so awesome all of the windows for the left panel are cut to size, I'm doing it so I can decide which would be best for the tint so could go all light tint or all dark tint or do it all any combination, still need to add the steps on the ends but that shouldn't take long as long as I can come up with a speedy & accurate way to do it.

I'll try to get the right panel windows all cut to size in the morning .

Ok so I got all the windows cut to size, had a few experimental hiccups on trying to add the 3mm steps so decided to try using the 10mm milling bit in the drill press again, I clamped a 2mm thick straight piece of acrylic in the right spot & just run them accross to take 3mm off for the steps, got them done nice & quick, it's a bit edgy doing this so need extremely firm grip to do it right, there is 1 piece that was a total fail on the left panel & 1 or 2 other windows that could do with a re-make but all in all not bad .

I'll get the failed window re made & if I have enough spare I'll re-make the 2 that could be better .

Here are a few of the windows with the drill press milled stepped edges lol .

In this shot you might be able to see the 2 imperfect windows, from top to bottom or right to left, the 2nd & 3rd upper windows I milled about 2mm off where I should have so these 2 will be replaced before I call this case complete .

The rest of these pics I did outside as a little sunshine was peeking throuh the clouds, it was windy though & where I originally placed them they both got slammed on the ground so I planted them in the soil up against the fence , no damage was done, just a little dirt that'll blow off .

The surface of the alu could use a re brushing again lol .

Finally got to the diy store to get dowel rods & a bunch of clamps yaaay .

So now the 2 I have already added to this bunch makes 10 clamps so can go & make the curved acrylic piece when I'm ready now .

The B3 rev motherboard came today too .