Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Stealthlow

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Project Stealthlow

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    For heating the heatshrink, I would highly recommend picking up a heatgun (or a hair dryer would work too) instead of using the lighter. With a lighter you run a much higher risk of heating the tubing too much or even catching it on fire, plus you're limited in the range of movement that you can use it it. IE, only underneath or maybe to the side of the tubing, whereas with a heatgun you can attack it from any angle, and you can be much more precise in the amount of heat you convey. Plus, the heatgun will force the air into any little nooks and crannies and between wires, getting into those tight spots that you just can't reach with a lighter.
    Luckily I have the option of both , it's just that with the sleeving pack it said best results with a lighter by sweeping it past carefully, but it may have said that for those without a heatgun.
    I have used a heatgun for a light bit of sleeving & it burnt the sleeving but then again I wasn't using the correct size heatshrink anyway I brought the heatgun over also so I can find out which works best, thanks for mentioning though 88 .

This lot took me ages to sort out, the place I bought my molex cable & fan cable mixed them together & they were a nightmare to untangle.

My first 2 ok crimps.

My first 2 wires done, but I'll be taking these out to re do them, so I'll use the rest of the atx crimp pins to get my technique perfect, but I had to make a new order for a pile of female crimp pins & a tiny bit more sleeving & some nice black fan headers, so yeah the sleeving is back on hold for the time being, at least I'll be good & ready to go at it like I know what I'm doing when it gets here & yes I now realise the heat shrink should only be showing a little which is why I'll re do these to get it perfect .

The lighter worked out best for me, tried the heat gun but it was blowing the heat shrink around too much lol whereas the lighter worked perfectly .

OK now I feel the pain on my finger tips but moreso blisters from clenching the pliers lol but thats mostly because of the DIY pin remover I'm using (a grinded flat piece of a paper clip & using pliers to drive it through) lmao , hopefully I never laughed at anyone when they mentioned it is painful because now it's time for them to say haa haaaa if I ever did , think I just did in my mind , anyway I'm glad to say I'm not creating any waste since last night & I have a trick up my sleeve for getting any of the heatshrinks that aren't the same, a razer to finish them off , but they are very close but I'll leave it to you lot to judge .

LOL I keep nodding off to sleep, I better jump on my bed .

Haha I couldn't resist waiting for the crimp pins & used the final 8 female pins for an extension lol.

I took the pictures first under my daylight bulb & then with a shade covering the shine & it gives a dramatically different look, looks blingy under direct light & like awesome shoe laces without .

So thats the CPU & ATX cable done .

Ahaa just when I thought I'd run out of things to sleeve with the bits I have I thought I'd make a start on the sata power cables, next up is fan sleeving I used nothing but the scrap stuff I have for doing these so I reclaimed all the black wire & put all of it to use & I'll be able to finish these off easily with the waste sleeving & still have plenty for shortish sleeving jobs, I'm now quite confident I'll be able to sleeve everything .

Only got 1 WIP pic of this bit & it's pretty dark.

Couldn't take this any further as I need the female crimp pins.

Plus I already have the left angle sata cables & they are sata 3 .

Got the package from Nils & from KustomPC but they ran out of black molex wire & spade connectors for the vandal switches so thats on back order.

Just need to find the bunch of ac ryan molex pass through adaptors I have laying around somewhere but in fear of not being able to find them I made an order from America (performance-pcs) as that was the only place I know that sells them now which is odd as they are awesome molex pass through plugs, I chose the ceapest delivery option so might take some time for them to arrive.

The 9 fan splitter cable is perfect for what I have planned with it & it looks to me like it uses MDPC sleeving too which really surprised me.

This shot shows the fan splitter next to MDPC sleeving, I'd say it's the same stuff but for taking a wider load.

A few of the sample pieces I have & the red seems to glow I'm already looking forward to doing a multi coloured sleeving job some time in the future .

Load of female ATX crimp pins & fan crimp pins .

Load of fan plugs.

Lian-Li wire kit as I'm sick of not having printed mobo headers for my switches lol & also a psu tester which will be very handy for testing fans/lights but I got this one for using on the stack unit to replace the paper clip I use on it .

And here is a shot of a very rough idea of what I'll be doing with the fan splitter.

So back I go to finish all the sleeving if possible & I won't do another update on the sleeving until it's complete .

Wow that was a needed change of modding .

I found the sata power pass through holes weren't quite big enough so had to make them bigger, also not pictured here I added 2 10mm countersunk pass through holes for fans close to the corner & also made a mount for an ssd aligned to do another sata power cable that powers the ssd & optical, the cable for that will be extremely short , still need to mod the angle & square bar in the bottom to allow fan cables to go underneath the hdd cages.

The ssd mount is just a small piece of 10mm flat bar that mounts the ssd & a 20mm flat bar that connects to the 10mm one & screws into the panel by 1 bolt, nice & simple .

Also made the mobo panel power pass through holes bigger since I'm using extenders for those.

So now I can continue with the sleeving honestly can't wait until I complete the sleeving .

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Nice SSD mount. I love the simplicity.
    Thanks 88 .

Just finished all the sata power cables & got some pics of it all including the floating ssd been doing very well at using up the waste sleeving, sorry about the poor quality pics but I'll make up for that when it's all completed .

Oh yeah & so much for no more updates until I finish the sleeving, I'm in a habit of updating as I make progress .

OK Partial update lol

This shows why I went & had a go at making the sleeved ATX extender become the main ATX cable, it was silly long lol .

Tested out crimping onto 2 wires & to be honest it went fine.

And was also able to plug it with sleeving in the socket.

Snipped all the ends off the extender end I didn't need.

Started on making the 4 dual wires, I used wire strippers near the end of the wire to create an opening where I could join a 2nd wire.

2nd Wire tristed around nice & tight & knotted.

Cut the pre sized heatshrinks in half & applied over the wire.

Covered it completely.

And here with sleeving & heatshrink on & crimped ready for installing to the corsair cable & to merge the custom cable to the thoroughly awkward corsair dual socket.

Then the rest well....

I need a new replacement corsair AX850 ATX cable as I took the wires out of the wrong end & yes I didn't just take 1 out, I took 12 out without realising I was focusing on the wrong end so I don't know where the heck to put the new wires so I emailed corsair explaining my situation & hopefully they'll help me out on this & soon, I don't expect it for free but I just hope they can help.

An awesome chap on another forum made a diagram of where the wires go on this AX850 psu & shared it with me so saved me having to wait for corsair to help out which was a huge relief .

Well I completely ran out of heat shrink after completing the main ATX cable d'oh so yeah to keep the sleeving of a consistant quality I had to make an order just for heat shrink but at least this time I will be able to dedicate a good chunk of the week to getting started on the windows , I'd expect any future efforts for doing a sleeving job I'll only need to do the 1 order .

Here is the atx cable , not as neat as an extender as wires cross all over the thing with it having 3 ends but I'll have no clutter around the psu now .