Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Stealthlow

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Project Stealthlow

This is what the rods are for, something solid to bend the acrylic against .

Made a start, mounted, drilled & tapped an angle bar for the acrylic to attach to for the bottom end, if I get chance tomorrow I'll finish off placing the cut down rods, cut a long thin strip of acrylic, bend it against it to find out precisely how long it needs to be & to see how good a curve I can do, then cut the acrylic piece & get it fixed on .

Now I'd better switch over the motherboards .

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Coming along beautifully. Great work.
    Thanks 88 .

Laying the case down was the easiest way to place the rods but needed a bit of weight to stop it falling off the work top.

Took hours to get it so I could use the clamps.

First time I some how introduced a couple of cracks to the sheet so used it as a practice piece to see what I've gotten myself into lol.

Second time all was going ok but was just another learning bit lol.

Third & last time as I don't have any more of this length acrylic to try again went well kind of lol so I'm going to try & use the majority of the window & I think I'll have to come up with a different solution, maybe a mix of window & little part of my backup plan, if I didn't add the extra lip curve I'd have done it easily but man that extra curve lip made it really really difficult lol.

To be continued .

To be honest I'm kinda happy I went wrong lol allows me to come up with an addition to make it better than just a window , now I need to brew up a nice addition, already got an idea storm whirling together in my head hehe .

Hmmm, interested to see what you decide to do with that front..
    Came to the conclusion I can still do the window but to keep it in place all along the curve I'll have to use 1mm sheet alu overlapping the seams & vent areas I'll do my mesh thing on 3mm pieces of alu & an internal piece that lets the outside 1mm sheet fix so the acrylic & meshes are fixed in place nicely, this allows for some nice features that are hard to do to a high standard so the low standard will be hidden .

Here is a seriously rough idea of what I'll do .

I might think up something better, we'll see.

Interesting...well, I'll say one thing. I sure am glad you fab better than you draw.
    Never been good at drawing with a mouse lol, the hand drawing I tried on paper is far better .

But I'm not quite ready to quit trying for a full window, Sniiipe dog on bit-tech mentioned trying freehand bending which made the cogs start turning with something John said about using gravity for easier bending so I've ordered enough for 6 attempts, overkill I know lol but if I get it right on the first attempt then it's just a pile of extra materials for something else .

So the new approach will be to fix the window to the top of the lip then go freehand bending to get it past the top curve, then take the window off, put the rods back in, fix the window back on, heat it & let gravity get it to the desired shape , 1 curve is easy, multi curve makes it trickier.

OK so while waiting for the new materials & me having 2 msi p67a-gd65's at hand because of the switcharoo I was able to mark up presiecly where the sata holes should be, also to my horror the 24 pin was way further down than my other mobo lol so had to extend the hole, I will definitely need to make the 24 pin pass through hole tidiers now lol.

Used a 7mm drill bit to poke holes through all the sata passthroughs & got busy filing, took ages as I had to use tiny files which take ages to get through normal thickness, the mobo panel is 4mm thick lol, the file jumped out now & again & I heavily scratched the surface, I then sanded all the inside edges, then used satinising mops was able to get rid of the scratches & re brush both sides of the panel & this time I put masking tape on both sides since this panel is complete now to preserve the nice finish for when it all gets put back together .

Actually I might need to put an extra hole in this panel for the power button cable & might decide to add an extra power cable pass hole so it isn't too cramped to get wires through .

Seven attempts at doing the double curve piece & this was the best out of the lot but is not to the standard I wanted I have enough acrylic for 2 more attempts but struggling to see the point in trying again so I'm taking a break from the project to see if I can think up a good alterative, best way to get this double curve piece done would be to have it thermo formed but I don't know how to get the precise curve line accross to a place that does this & even then I'd need to add the mounting holes & knowing my luck I'd shatter it lol.

So it's time out while I come up with a good alternative, could be overnight, could be a week or more.

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    wootz wootz! The big window is in!
    If it would have worked out well I'd have been jumping around shouting woo hoo but just can't get it to a good standard .

Here I go again I felt quite optimistic starting off lol.

Here is a few of the 0.7mm alu sheet I had spare & the metal shears I used to trim the mounting holes away & then cut what I need to size.

Clamping the cut to size alu sheets to the case to do the top curve.

Top curve done.

Start of the main curve with added alu sheets to the rest of the length which is where it all goes wrong.

A vision of how it could be with alu sheet.

Gotta laugh & forget but not to forget trying to do this diy again, 1 curve doable, maybe even 2 curves or more but not if they are to be flush to an existing curve & they all curve the opposite ways .

Ok I know when I can't win lol, I knew this was going to be the most challenging part of the build & a good learn by doing part of it , after 10 attempts I'm calling it quits on the double curve window, what I learnt on trying to do this bit was never try doing double curve in different directions by diy lol, best way to get this done is like others said a big oven & jig or get it thermo formed to perfection by a plastics place well at least for 3mm & above acrylic.

I was either able to do the top curve or the big curve very well but not both on the same piece lol so it's back to the drawing board with what to do, could do a big sprawling alu grill or simple bars or both as bars will introduce even more strength, it could loose a bit of the nice look but sometimes that isn't a bad thing if it improves the structure & if I put enough creative effort into the bars then they could make a nice feature.

Up next? well I have to come up with a nice design that compliments what's already done, I'll get there :thumb:.

Actually ideas are in place for a 1mm acrylic sheet for the window with tinting film added + a 1mm full mesh panel + a 1mm pattern panel + nicely shaped tabs to keep everything flush, Just need to draw the fitting design .

Took me many hours today to get all the alu sheets in place & got an extra set of hands from my dad else I wouldn't have been able to clamp it all up right (alu sheets on both sides sandwiching the acrylic to make a hot plate effect with the heat gun), the top left mount snapped though lol but carried on to see if it this method works since it's all clamped up, I'll never know for sure since the mount broke but I think if done with long continuous alu sheets it very well could work & nicely but wowzers it really is a true pita to set up lol, maybe if I'd have thought about this method earlier I'd have got it done to a good standard, anyway the alternative is a go go now so I'll get the 1mm polycarbonate sheet ordered & get to work on finalising the designs for the 1mm alu panels .

No warpage, couple of slight high/low points but if done with full length alu panels I think it is doable but not putting out more money for acrylic, like said I just wish I'd have thought about this method before when I had a good bit spare, oh well on with plan b .

Here is a couple of shots of the sata holes on the mobo panel in good lighting to get this log back on a bright note, so much effort & no progress, but knowledge gained lol .

I sent a quote request to a plastics shop that has cnc & thermo forming capabilities for prices for the size of piece I need forming & that I want a little cnc doing on it & just worked up a design for the vents & a little extra stealthlow text worked in there & a silly doodle I did in sketchup which isn't a cut out but a 1mm sunken bit for painting that I worked in there last minute , the vents are of the side panel pattern mirrored, this is easily the best of the 4 I designed so won't show the others, I totally doubt the grin will be put in if this happens lol but the rest will if the price is reasonable & they are able to do the design exactly to my spec .

This design may have more added to it as it's fresh out of the mind .

To get the precise curve line I'd just trace around the case & send them the example of what I need .

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    Truly sorry to hear about your mum.
    Ah sorry for sharing that grim news but thanks TMM I deleted it out of the post as I probably will most of this bit later on if I'm not too drunk after the wake & wow I'll get drunk real easy with me not being a drinker any more, nearly posted about it a while ago when she was told a couple days left but left it out & carried on modding & visiting, guess it's with me being really dedicated to completing this project asap why I mentioned it, once I complete this project I'll get my fitness right back up as I've replaced excercise with modding since November last year & really see modding as a great use of excess energy unlike feeling like a gerbal on a wheel, I had side bellys before starting this mod & now they are virtually gone with all the elbow polish I've been putting in lol I want a rowing machine that can generate enough electricity to power my gaming pc, now that would make awesome sense to get some exercise, must invent it some how .

I've never seen a dead body before yet alone watch someone take their last breaths, I would say she went out peaceful & she did appear to do so but about 1 minute before she went her eyes opened up looking alert & focused but straight ahead for about 30 seconds, kinda disturbed me a little then they closed & not long after nothing not exactly a good memory to remember of her but doubt I'll ever forget it, I like to think she seen a crazy looking tour guide that appears scary at first but is actually an incredibly nice being that guides you to the next stage either that or just like a nice infinitely long peaceful sleep free of thought.

But please anyone else try & forget about me mentioning it, was a mistake sharing the news, I feel better just keeping the project going, I guess I've been wanting to let some kind of emotion out for the past 5 weeks, but I think I'm lucky I got to 33 really with both parents so got to know them well.

So back to the project log, keep the face or not lol & what do you think of the vents if I go CNC, a first for me but thought why the heck not since I'd be getting it thermo formed & they do CNC also.