Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Stealthlow

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Project Stealthlow

Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR View Post
    i love this project

+ vento weighs close to 15 kilos
    Thanks mate is that with or without hardware? , I don't believe I seen the end of that log, it was a cool project .

Was about to post a why I can't fix it splurge of text & thought damnit I aint quitting on it yet lol, just checked what 5mm acrylic I have left over & only just have enough to remake the 1 I really messed up, the other 2 only got a light mess up so I got the 2 ready made ones put them in a tuppa ware box perfect fit & poured boiling water on them & put a lid on it & left for 5 min & simply hoped it would loosen the adhesive a little & it did, had to use a very thin blade to slowly force them open & finally got all the pieces for the 2 holders seperated so I have a lucky 2nd chance to do these holders correct with jigs which I will definately make this time

Here is the redesigned fan holder which accounts for the 4.9mm pieces so with this they should work perfect.

Did a loose fit together with a side & back panel to see what it looks like for the overall height.

Very little done but made the basic form of the extra hdd cage clamps, just need to shape the flat bars now & trim any excess material away from the stand & the hdd cages for it to work 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Merry Christmas to you as well. and scroll saws rock
    Cheers mate , not tried it out yet but most certainly will soon enough .

Woooo hoooooooo produced an update in the freezing cold .

Had to re do the optical flat mounts as I did it so the optical were sticking out by 3mm by accident (I'm blaming the cold )

So got all the bottom storage bits done, hmmm maybe not, still need to shape the flat bar clamps.

I'll work on getting it all cleaned up & brushed nicely later, just focusing on getting the basic form first, that is definitely it until I get the jig materials & on the 3rd jan I'm painting the house so that might take a few days.

Anyway it feels good to have made a little more progress .

Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR View Post
    this is looking brilliant. i really wanna steal this hahah

+vento was never completed. will be eventually
    LOL Tanks mate is it in a usable state though?.

Here's a picture to show the clearance between the fan holders & the optical.

And here is rough concept of the jig I'll make for doing the bending, this is with a slightly adjusted curve at the top so it will duct the air out better.

For the poles I'll be chopping up broom sticks lol .

The wheels of progress are slowly starting to turn again , got the jig materials & cut the 2 main panels to size & have an accurate model made for a guide for the jig, I'll mark up with the rest of today & get them made tomorrow.
    I was recomended to get dowel poles but for ones of decent thickness it would have cost too much just for a jig so stuck with original plan of broom stick handles , they are 28mm thick & cost £2 per 1200mm pole & got 3 of them, I'll get 4 poles out of each one.
    The panels are 18mm chip board, why get quality wood to be wasted on a jig?.

Yaaaay got past the worst of the man flu so only got lots of mucus now lol.

Marked the acrylic to re-make the failed fan holder, then cut & this time I decided to use the jigsaw, went very well, I remember the first time I tried cutting thinish materials with the jigsaw & I never knew of the essential concept of clamping down a work piece very well before trying to cut so now I do & it went perfectly fine, it's a very cheapo jigsaw too so was pleasantly surprised with the clean cuts , then I used the disc sander to get perfect edges, then used the hole cutter to add the holes.

Now then, I put the milling bit to use, first I changed the drill speed to max & all I did was get the work base to the height I wanted to cut at & clamped a piece of wood so I could slide the acrylic pieces through slowly, do this for all 3 pieces adjusting the clamp as I go, did 2 cutting stages for all pieces, now standard 120mm fans can slide in & out without modification.

I found I'll need to make all the thin sticks of acrylic a little thinner to match the edges, then I'm good to start making jigs for these fan holders, then I should have perfect fan holders as I originally intended .

Here is a picture of the flanged nut rivets experiment that I milled just enough depth for them to sit flush, when I ordered the 8mm milling bit I had other nut rivets in mind so to use these how I want to I should buy the correct size mill bit so it looks correct.

Jig for the pieces with holes, 2 seperate layers to save space.

The stick bunches.

Hiccup of adhesive bonding the pieces to the chip board, D'oh.

Had to line up a piece of wood on the floor & whack away with a mallet to release them, the stick bunches stayed intact but messy .

Did a quick dry fit trying out all 3 holders.

Sanded down all the chip board & whilst I was at it I blended the stick bars together to make them seamless.

Then combined them all how I wanted them about an hour ago by sticking them together, so need to let them set & cure for a few hours at least, the day is still young so I might be able to wet sand them all later in the evening for a perfect finish so another update today is possible, it'll take a fair bit of wet sanding though :thumb:.

Did a few hours wet sanding then called it quits @ midnight, I'll finish them off tomorrow, got 1 of them close to perfect though so far, the one with the fan in , they all only had a simple wipe down with tissue, once they are to a standard I can't fault I'll wash them properly & call them complete .

Got all the system parts ordered now & should have them on Monday, the spec will be.

Corsair Pro Gold AX850 PSU
    ASUS P8P67 Pro Intel P67
    I5 2500K
    Prolimatech Megahalems Black
    4GB OCZ Platinum 1600mhz 6,8,6,18

I've got these fan holders extremely smooth all over now but still parts here & there aren't seamless, truly is a monstrously tedious part of the mod, don't know if I can take another day of trying to make them seamless lol, anyway I won't bore you all with any more pictures of these until I get the apollish fans lit up inside them, the original goal was just to get them all perfectly aligned which I achieved but then the goal turned into trying to make them seamless so rather than waste more time on these I want to see what they look like lit up before I do any more on them which means upper level time, hope it goes smoothly & no major hiccups .