Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Stealthlow

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Project Stealthlow

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    \_/

Whoa.

Ugh it's 1 of those days where I'm trying to do something but getting nowhere & just over thinking & was even considering going with a regular pci piece again so came back into the warmth to get my scatterbrain together lol .

My good old method of using cotton bud tips wasn't possible (cotton bud sticks were too thick for the holes), that method was only good for rivets or fan holes so instead I put bolts in the mounting holes, filled the sockets up with paint & then pressed it against the mobo tray so it was perfectly to the edge & it worked perfect, but I found I'll need to do that for the back panel first as there is a tiny gap so yeah that means I have 3 unwanted holes but luckily they are hidden behind an angle bar :p.

So time to rest, then go at it again tomorrow .

All but 3 of the holes lined up, the off 3 were only off by a smidge so I used my 3mm mill bit to expand the hole to where it was needed & it's nicely done .

My countersink bit is past it's best though & started making a bad job of countersinking so it's time to throw it away but I just ordered a new one so hopefully it will be here soon .

Also with it being so well fixed to the back panel I believe I can get away with not attaching it to the mobo panel, it's all solid so no real need .

Quote Originally Posted by BS Mods View Post
    Looking great. That is such a nice design.

Since your countersink went dull you can also use a drill bit that is about twice the size of the hole. Just use it gently or by hand even.

Also, clean up that work area!!
    Thanks BS , I've ordered a new countersink bit & yeah it's about time I cleaned & tidied the garage .

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    OK. I am now lurking (cough cough) this worklog.

Have I given you enough rep yet?
    jk

*Apparently I have.
    hehe Thanks AmEv .

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    Very nice indeed. As far as attaching it to the mobo if theres no flex in the mobo tray or back panel there's no reason at all. Most cases just aren't built this well.
    LOL thanks msmrx57 .

A bit that I think every diy modder fears getting wrong when making the mobo mounts is done & correct so with me not being a drinker or anything I'll post a load of pics instead lol .

So, I put the case on it's side with the io shield in.

Took my last pc & placed it in the case.

Held it up enough to have the io bits fit inside the shield & drawn along the edge & with the edge being drawn I could remove the io shield.

Then line the board up to the line & poke a marker through to get the exact mounting positions, then spot drilled, then drilled, then tried tapping but the tap fell straight through , so I either used the wrong drill bit or drilled it badly so I went back to the trusty brass inserts & made the hole 4mm & whacked them in .

Then put the standoffs in.

Tadaaa & wooooo hooooooo .

Now all I need to do is drill & file the expansion slots in the mobo panel.

Also I pre-drilled the positions for the fan mount bars.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    Looks good! Part of scratch building that has kept me from trying is the mobo standoffs. You just made that seem a whole lot easier than I imagined!
    Also, just wanted to make sure you're using a tiny bit of oil when drilling and countersinking. It's hard to believe the difference it makes.
    Great job!
    Thanks mate it can be overly complicated or simple & went the simple route .
    Yeah I only just started using a lube when drilling, tapping & sinking & yeah it makes a big difference lol .

Just got the countersink & counterbore bits but the counterbore wasn't what I was expecting (the pilot was the size I needed but the cutting bit was way too big) so that won't be used & the countersink bit is garbage & might need to remake the back panel, the sink it made is nowhere near as smooth as the ones I did with my other bit so need to get same type of countersink as my last which means sometime next week before more progress just hope I can get away with not needing to do a new back panel.

Was going to leave the project alone for a few days after finding my new countersink bit was crap (it said it is for metal but I highly doubt this & knew I needed a new one, ordered the same type as my last & decided to do the slots for the expansion cards on the mobo tray.

I also have a solution for the badly done countersinks on the back, not massively ideal but it'll work .

The upside down hdd cage, but since found a source for left angle sata cables but I'll just have to hope that 600mm is long enough, should be .

Marked, drilled & started using a manual fretsaw to make the expansion slots.

Just needs filing.

Filed & brushed both sides of the mobo panel as it was looking pretty shabby & put back in the case.

Had a real lazy day & just tested the pci expansion cards line up correct & phew they do .

Now just need to make some kind of easy maintenance clamping piece for holding cards in place .

Here is my first idea for holding the expansion cards in place, it would be made from solid aluminium bar with brass inserts that are screwed in from the rear panel, a hefty amount of filing again though lol but the theory works for me & might even look ok .

LOL Tried that clamping block idea but couldn't seem to get the needed pressure on it while clamping, kind of a 3 or 4 handed job so then I tried using 6mm flat bars a piece above & below the expansion slots with a theaded insert in the ends which I have to admit is doable but might not look so good & it would still require a fiddly install which goes against the ease of use, so I ordered a lian-li part hehe, one of those toolless pci clamp things but thats just going in the spares box now but I might study it & make my own some time .

The reason I didn't want to add the usual threaded holes is a 5 stack of alu wasn't the original plan so there could be issues with expanding & loss of form, maybe it would be possible to drill & tap it if held in a vice but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

I'd heartily recomend not making your own pci/io piece based on a standard one after this lol, at least I know this for sure now but then again this was my first time, making something fairly complex & the first time is always a bit of a nightmare when you only have a rough idea of what to do so if you do have a go at making your own be prepared for muckups .

Anyway I thought why the heck not just have a try at holding firm in the vice with a clamp, drilling, tapping, helicoils, now things didn't go correct with the pci/io mobo standoffs, I'd say I'm about 2mm away from where it should be but it all still works as it should so everythings ok .

Nice technical markings ready & spot drilled lol .

Tapping

Helicoils in & done .

Ohhhhhh Shheeeeeeet but will be fixed up when I get around to doing the body filling .

Works awesome but yeah some body filler work to get this piece spot on .

And this shot shows how it's probably 2mm away from where it should be, oh well at least it all works as it should .

Got all the fan mount bars to the same sizes & made the notches so they are all the same & match up correct, spot drilled the mounting end, drilled, tapped, helicoiled. tried out, just need to add the fan mounting holes & countersinks as I intend to use regular black fan screws but still waiting for the countersink bit.

I'll get the mounting holes ready for when the countersink bit gets here.

Ok so as I said I some how miss drilled the front fan mount bars so had to fill them with body filler, done 1 filling a good thick cover then filed & sanded down, then done another light layer to get a perfect fill & sanded to 600 grit so is ready for painting, then installed them back in the case, put thin strips of scotch mounting tape on the corners of the fans & stuck on & took a bunch more pics, & there is 320mm space for expansion cards & my tripod needs fixing up as it's getting wonky.

Whats up next, who knows that acrylic has to be done at some point & the psu vents & wire management holes need putting in but have no idea what I'll do next .