Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BloodMoon

Default BloodMoon

I have been posting at some other forums for a while, but thought I would see what all the gang here thought of it.

So, here is my work so far, starting from the beginning, and pasting from my other log:

I heard about a new SFF case on the way, and started reading up on it: Qmicra by PCDesignLab.com.

I really just liked the internal layout, the shape of the case, and the cooling design.

They decided to sell some standalone cases to forum members, and I got on the list. It's due via UPS on Friday 5/12.

Given the newer, free-er version of Sketchup, I got to work:

My first draft, using the website dimensions, and some guessing--

My second draft, after I selected Black exterior with Red hardware--

I then added red plexi to my crescent/sword motif--

That seemed a little flat, and I was Googling some Crescent/Moon/Blood/Sword stuff and I came across the idea of the Blood Moon: NASA on the Eclipse in 2004

So, after playing around for, oh, 10 hours or so (had to learn how to make spheres with the "follow me" tool), I changed to this--

The larger Spheroid represents the earth, and will be blue plexi, 6" across, etched and frosted to look like the planet.

The smaller Spheroid represents the moon, 1/4 the size of the earth, and will be clear plexi, etched and cratered too look right.

The V shape is the refracted solar light that makes the moon look reddish.

I don't know if I will do the top one yet: it makes the case look like a warp drive, or engine of some kind...I don't know why my brain thinks that.

Comments?

Not a true worklog as of today, but upon arrival Friday I will be confirming internal dimensions and location for the Xflow ProII radiator and the other necessary bits.

Here it is with some materials refinement--

The drives are only there to show the spacing that the actual case has.

Trust me, there won't be a floppy!

I will probably only have one Optical: a Plextor 716SATA. I know how to stealth those easily.

This will likely have an Matrix Orbital MX6 put in it.

On the top, I might do a "non-window" etch like on that AVP case: etch directly into the black anodized case to show the silver base metal. Some cool font for "BloodMoon" or such.

There will be some other techy mods that I can't show in Sketchup that will bring up the "ooooh, ahhhh" factor.

Let's just say it will have some lighting elements from both my Lubic Zen-Feng case (FiberOptic) AND my Loch Ness Case (side lighting etch in acrylic).

Revised and showing the Right side location of the XFlow ProII rad:

They don't make a red MX6, but I can get acetate films like I did on my G15 keyboard and I will test to see how the green PLED is altered.

Edit: 5/10/06 10:20am--getting confirmation of my dome specs...OUCH $37ea + shipping from Canada. Custom, 1/4 flange, one 6" diameter in blue clear acrylic 3/16" thick, and one 1.5" diameter in clear. At least I know they are attainable.

2:30pm--revised graphics with lettering--kind of tough but with EleFont and Sketchup, and some careful intersections, I like it.

woot, UPS arrives today!

Edit 3pm---schhhhhweeeeeeeettt!
    Check it out:

NOTE: here you can see the reset button came loose during shipment, a later pic shows it was not damaged, just floppy.

Now out of the package:

Well, work continues.

(more to come)--work is farther along, and I will paste more.

Default Re: BloodMoon

(continued)

It's fine, just pushed it back into the clips:

mmmm.

I have been spending hours and hours and hours making my own, untra precise Sketchup model based on the case that I finally have in front of me.

good learning experience too...not easy to make meshes!

Have a look:

Just the front panelS so far. There is a 3/16" thick clear panel over a 1/8 thick metal panel, with the drive surround laid over the top.

Each is a separate component that I can import, edit on its own, and then lay over the rest of the components. Tedius, but nice to have it so precise for reference. It should mean, when I'm done, that I will be able to cut with a great deal of certainty about the interior hardware locations.

well, last night I went searching for red anodized stuff for BloodMoon.

Found SVC had more all together than going to four different sites.

So I got 4 red LED anodized 80mm fans
    http://www.svc.com/salf-08-r.html

And four black grills
    http://www.svc.com/fg001bk-22.html

And four black filters
    http://www.svc.com/80mesh-blk.html

And a pair of red 4" CCFls
    http://www.svc.com/clk4rd2.html

My idea is that the front grills will be backlit with the red LED fans with the filters glowing red with black frames. When off, the red anodized will contrast with the black grill and filter edges much like the case and hardware. I kind of want the inside to look like the outside.

I will update with the latest Sketchup precision later today, and I might start cutting this weekend.

got my fans and stuff in, those red anodized LED fans are pretty slick lookin'.

BTW, here is the latest of my Sketchup high precision model work.

I spread all the parts out, make them individual components for later editing, and then test fit each together for alignment.

I can't take credit for the HDD, Optical, motherboard, GPU, or PSU models.

I just use them for reference on fit.

The AC120mm 9 fans are a bit odd but I might make a special bracket for them.

Here are some started shots of the lovely red anodized sunbeam LED 80mm fans. I was quite pleased and surprised at how sick they are.

I should try to find some black fan screws, or make my black hex dome screws work. All that will come in time.

For now I have to keep digging in my back yard...my patio stones come in monday and I'm only halfway done digging out for the base! Kind of a pain to dig a 10X15' hole all evenly 6" deep. ;P

(continued)

Day 1--
    6" round hole saw

And the interior fit...a little sanding to really seat it perfectly, but that is pretty close!

I did the smaller bore for the Moon dome, but didn't take a picture of it yet.

And the "foot mod" I was planning, but didn't want to show anyone yet

should make it quite a bit easier to take the Lid off and show the internals without taking the Feet off, just leaving them threaded out a bit.

What do you all think?

I just did a test reassemble to check on component visibility with the new openings:

And the feet:

Just workin' like mad today--
    the eclipse:

That is about the first 2 pages of my log...so I will post up more later. Let me know what you think guys!

I really had to see the dome's size, scale, lettering layout, etc. Turn it around, rotate it, and such.

The case alone is over $350 and I could start my design before it even arrived.

And it was a great way to kill time

I wish I had Solidworks...seen how it works and that would just rock!

More of my work so far:
    I forgot how tough marking stuff on a black metal would be!

I just clean up with some thinner and then a microfiber cloth to get the dust after cutting.

Update: decided to work on the red window between the two domes--
    a quick trace gives me the shape

have to buy new Radiosh--- needle files, I can't find my old set...so those corners will get cleaned up and painted black to hide the silver.

just a little update...drug out my two 4" red cathodes, and a blue Lazer LED to see what I thought of preliminary lighting:

obviously wiring will be done later, I recrimp and sleeve everything when I have decided on the final locations.

I think I need two 4" blue ccfls on the big dome like I have red over on the small dome.

After fiddling around to get the letters the same proportions, I printed my letters onto while full sheet label material (so its stick all over).

I prefer full sheet adhesive since it won't move while you work with your dremel.

I cut little marks through my sheet so I could see my centerline, and laid it down directly onto the shell of my Qmicra.

Then I went around my first letter (I prefer to cut INSIDE the heavy black line) just to have a guide for my 1/16" carbide bit (actually meant for Grout removal, smallest I could find).

I then went on to start the slow process of working my way through the metal, little by little.

You can see on the backside just how narrow the cut is. I like to use nail files and such to finish the edges...this process leaves very little rough edge, and just a nice smoothing makes it look very finished.

As I move around the edges of my first letter (B) the support I have for my hand, and the angle of my tool slightly changes how the cut is made.

I have to consider when my center part will be free so I cut on the other edges to prevent putting weight on the most delicate section the letter.

Here is another look at the backside. The cut track is only about 1-2mm at its widest.

This is tedious work, but I already have one goof that I will have to adjust the shape of a letter. :x

By moving very slowly, in areas about 3/8-1/2" at a time, I can control the cutting path precisely. I much prefer to file a little longer in finish than to scrap the whole top of my very expensive case.

My first whole letter, cut!

Working some more this morning, got two more letters done:

And a look at the inside:

Then, I stopped off at the local pharmacy's manicure section for some of these:

Which I find are very useful in detail filing, and they are a whole lot smaller and cheaper than regular files.

got the whole first word done, and some of the filing started on the B and the L.

been doing some more filing, and to judge how well I was doing, I needed to take my printed letter mask off.

Ick, that adhesive only comes clean with citrus cleaner THEN paint thinner.

so here you can see it after clean up.

note the tool skips on the top of the B curve, and different part of the Os.

so I took a Sharpie PAINT marker, and just rubbed a little bit of black onto those little areas.

Up close you can still see the slight depression from the tool, but I'm not sure if I can really "fix" that.

These letters are about 80% of the way there IMO, some more smoothing to do, and small parts of the two Os aren't quite enough alike for my tastes.

Each cut is a bit better than the previous one, and my slow, tedious technique is paying off in needing only small files, taking a millimeter or so off at the most, and having the shapes well done instead of a lot of hard filing on the delicate section.

When totally complete, the silver filed edges will be covered in black paint too. Should make them appear VERY round when the only edge will be the light from below in red plastic.

I just couldn't resist cutting up the red acrylic to do a lighting test:

not quite the result I had hoped for...but if I frosted the window (tested using a folded paper towel to simulate):

The lighting has really been bothering me:
    stripping tubes out of ccfls proved risky at best-a waste of 2 4" tubes.
    so I went and fetched some 5mm 30mA red water clear LEDs and a handful of red diffuse 3mm just in case.

My idea is that making a mirror box (like my lightpump in Lubic Zen-Feng) should reflect the light, even it out, and keep it from washing the whole case in red light. I think I will add a layer of frosted white to even it out more.

It's only 3/8" thick in total (using the score and break method was time comsuming) and covers the entire area that the letters on top occupy.

It has to clear the PSU and drive cage, and it will be attached directly to the shell so when I hinge it the whole thing comes up as one object.

the results (before the white acrylic):

Much better IMO, and I think it will do the job nicely. Some black vinyl dye for the back to make it look stealthy from the inside, and Voila!

found a handly LED strober at frozecpu.com
    http://www.frozencpu.com/lit-134.html?id=6HEKbRD7

currently talking with the source manuf. on how to adapt it to control 12V LED rails.

Problem with my fan selection on the Radiator:

the AC fans are 1.5" thick instead of the 1" standard on 120mm. I might have to revert to otherwise normal low rpm fan.

I am thinking about a way to shave a bit off, but need to make a test bracket to be sure.

assembled the NV-7800 onto a gpu from another card...

and the fit problem with the waterblock:

alrighty, here is another batch:

worked on my idea for new handles on my Qmicra

I wanted more clearance to actually USE them as handles...

here is the first one before little files

after little files

it locks down tight enought to pick up the case (with mobo, GPU, DVD, and RAM) without rotating out of place!!! )) Me likey.

I will eventually get them anodized red along with the PSU tray, radiator brackets, etc.

today...I mount the radiator! Just HAVE to be sure it will fit.

Stopped and got some strips of 20Ga aluminum sheet, 1.5" wide at a local hardware store.

Some measuring, some bending, some folding, some dremel work, some drilling, and some E-6000 adhesive gives us this:

those ugly cuts will actually be UNDER the motherboard, but I will probably cover them with red acrylic anyway.

it's light, a little flexible, and holds it nicely. The only thing is the tubing has to cut through the 3/5" bay, but I'm not gonna use it anyway. Maybe some switches for my special LED controller....hmmm.

I thought I would snap some closeups to show just how tight the overall fit is should anyone else want to cram watercooling gear into a Qmicra:

I figure the TDX will sit with the barbs perpendicular to the radiator

the tubes will run like in my Loch Ness case shown here:

Here you can see how close the fans sit over the RAM. I know the whole fan won't sit over the radiator, but my guess is the cooling loss will be negligable.

This shows how closely those Radiator brackets sit to the rear 80mm fan...I might actually lay a thread of adhesive on the fan to further brace it from rubbing and hold the Rad in place better.

This is the Rad barb end and I will have to cut an opening through the Floppy/Matrix Orbital section of the drive cage. Works out fine because I want my DVD drive above the MO anyway. The drive stealth works out a particular way if I do that.

Lastly, this is the clearance on the threaded rod of the NV-7800 waterblock meeting the Asus Northbridge cooler...not sure what the clearance on my GX2 will be, but I will work something out.

and more:

my GX2 arrived today!! All perfectly sealed (all 8 clear tabs were closed). $500 from a guy at [H]...can't wait to get it installed.

pics---

Pretty much to date except for some pics not uploaded yet. I have spent another 5 or 6 hours filing all the top letters from start to finish...I'm up to the "d" so far, only the Moon letters left.

I will post up fresh pictures tomorrow! Enjoy.

got some more work done over the weekend.

Probably about 8 hours of small size filing, up to the "d" now:

This only leaves the "Moon" letters.

I also fiddled with getting the fan put on my Radiator, and I knew the RAM was too high, so I did this:

decided I had better make sure that LED blinky thingy from Frozencpul.com worked.

The guys who make it http://www.topshelflabs.com/ were kind enough to recommend how to make it control a 12V load. 103Transistor, and 470 Ohm resistor and their diagram gave me this on my breadboard:

and it works! Just as predicted.

Some movies:
    6Mg of just the lightbox
    11+Mg of the lightbox under the lettering