Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Storm'd!

Default Re: Storm'd!

Time to test the Storm Res's in the case.

this was a great momemt i was itchin to get a full look @ how the top of the STORM'D was going to look with the paper off.

Off with the brown paper and on with a fesh smoked plex top panel

Next was to put the top bezal or "Storm Tank flange"!!! and bolt it down

Bolt the lock slides onto the existing 2 innner middle bots @ each end

Theres only a few mills of movement in the slides, but the tanks were made to be a tight fit so thats all that will be needed to lock them into place.

Drop in the tanks and lock em in!

what the heck! a few more shots it's the first time iv'e really been able to get a good look @ the tanks as they should be.

the original plan was for STORM'D to go streight on display!

but A VERY BIG plee form my son Zak for this to become his new PC has won out

The PSU is a KIMEX brand 550watt chosen because i like the Black finish to it.

As seen below the orig idea was to use a a SFF atx mother board! the small board "when stealthed" would have allowed for an area to hide nasty cables!

BUT! since this this is now goin to be Zaks PC it was decided that a new P4-3.4 cpu will be used in a Asus P5GDC-Delux board a new XFX 6600GT with a Gig of GEIL ram added.

Prolly doing a case like this the justice it deserves

For the bolting in of the cards and blanks ive gone with the some sexy SS HEX Heads with washers.

these are actually way easier to install and suit the theme.

With the parts in place! i could now get on with the LOOMING!

Going for some more "uptown" looking RCA style plugs this time for power.

The NEW RCA power plugs will supply power to the MPC-350 pump and to the 4 X Front STORM fans.

The excess loom tucks behind the MoBo

Not wanting to just go and buy a round cable for the CDROM i decided to make one that would fit in. a bit of twisting..... some heatshrink and more split loom and on matching IDE cable.

STORM'D wil also need power supplied to its REAR BIX Rad.

Again in the same mannor as HP2 and HevyPlex SLB , a female RCA is used.

For the top Dual STORM Res's i wanted a intense but even light.

The choice of light is a 4" CCF tube.

Not on of the cheeper ones that can be brought from PC shops but on of the more expensive ones from Jaycar.

Ive often seen a few horror stories about the cheeper ones dying and taking out whole systems with them.

Touch wood in 2 yrs of using the Jaycar CCF's and inverters, iv'e never had a prob.

I decided just to make the light a bit more "robust" to cover the CCF with some clear plex tubing.

Cutting the Clear plex tube to the right lenght will allow me to "anchor" it to the top of the case with fear of braking the raw CCF

a "dob" of glue is udes to secure the CCF inside the Plex tube

then some HeAT SHRINK on the ends and the Light is ready to go in.

These shots show how the light sits up in the area btween the to STORM Tanks.

I wasn't happy with the clear plex adaptor for the rad so i decided while giving thr RAD a fresh coat of paint i'd also cover the Adaptor

With the power wire covered and an RCA added the RAD can be slotted on

Next was to clamp on the hoses

Tidy up the wireing

dis-enguage the STORM Tanks.

Next was time to fill the system

Again a mixture of Demin water, coolant and a cap of metho is used... The tanks are lifted up and the system is fully filled.

qick check for leeks!

With the tanks uptop and "movable" this was a vey simple system to fill and bleed!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what would a Defyant mod be with-out a motherboard cover of some sort! ?

The idea was NOT to box the board in again, but like PeRs-pLeXeD! make just a feature wall.

Using the Same 3.5mm plex the sheet was cut so that would simply slide into place.

When an upgrade or system check is need 4 screws will allow the cover to again be easily removed.

TO keep in-theme with the rest of the mod the cover will have a small aire mesh grill above the NB chipset and SS HEX heads bolts will be used

to dress the cover up a bit.

the cover is cut and drilled

Custom 3" standoff "POSTS" are made using threaded rod and clear plex tubing

Glue is used to secure the threaded rod into place.

The 4 new standoffs are screwd into the 4 corners of the motherboard into the orig standoffs

The cover after having its bolts screwed in and its small grilled glued into place can be slid into the case and screwed into place

i personally love this look! and think its the best and most simple cover ive done yet...the shine give the inside of the case an infinite "depth" about it as well as highlights the green tubes and all the SS hex bolts.

The reflectivness of the PLEX makes it difficult for this cam to get good close up! but will try again in daylight.

looking @ STORM'D i really wasnt happy with the side rings!and since i decided to remove the "side panel fans" altogether and run them as "passive vents" i decided that a bit more "storming" was needed!

Decided to replace the whole side panel with a nice new peice of 6mm thick #512 tinted plex.

I also decided to to a bit more STORMing of the internals!

First off this morn was a trip to the plastix, to pick up the 3 new peices of plex.

Next was to start on what will be the new side STORM rings.
    ive decided to make 4 and have a couple spare for the next mod!!!

Using the same technique as bfore, its just a ,matter of cutting a 120mm x 10mm thick plex ring

then using a 80mm cut the centers out the these

These will be put to good use later!

After some routing and drilling

It's time for some countersinking

you can clearly see that the countersinking leaves a ugly hole!

some good old flame shining will fix that!

the end result is a much cleaner looking hole

i'll be going back and running the good old FLAT TYPE M2 SS HEX Heads

Altho i wont be running fans this shot is just to show that the bolts all line up with standard 80's

Next was again to make up some cleaner grills, trimmed these will bolt down under the rings and the new panel.

Next to mark the new side panel for cutting