Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi

Default Raspberry Pi

I can't believe that there isn't a thread about this.... (Just did a search, could be I missed it somehow)

Have you pre-ordered yours yet? If you haven't why not? ;P

www.raspberrypi.org

Just for clarification, it's a credit card sized 700MHz ARM computer with 256MB of RAM, ethernet, 2 USB ports and an SD card slot.

I ordered one this morning, I don't think I'll see it any time soon though ;D
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Default Re: Raspberry Pi

Think they got a deal and bumped the RAM to 512. Would be a nice little toy to make a dedicated network video player from. I'm no programmer, so I'm waiting a bit to see what people make from it. Definitely interested though.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

We discussed it in another thread some. No 512 upgrade... they just upped the Model A's from 128 to match the Model B's 256. They were somewhat released today, but the 2 retailers had website issues with being crushed for orders. Give it a month or so and they should be readily available. With the GPIO's on them I see some real opportunities for the case modding scene. Also with its composite out we could put some of those old PSOne screens to use.

I am going to be picking at least one to try out with XBMC. Could make a nice tiny streaming device for the TV, and cheaper then a Roku or WDTV.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

i want one, for my car. hook it in to my touchscreen in dash dvd player, via rca. carputer time! its finally in motion....
    of course i would get the wifi attachment, if i couldn't find a good atheros one for it.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

I see it being used as a dedicated audio stream receiving server.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Audio streaming for my workshop would be fantastic. Being able to add presets from another system on the network would be awesome.

For a car computer, that'd be great. Be able to use wifi tethering through my Thunderbolt (rooted, of course) would be awesome.

Yeah, I was incorrect on the RAM. Went back and RTFA.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

The entire first order is sold out and it's quite the wait if you want one. I want one, but I'll just order one when I get to the point that I want to mess with it lol

The reports I have seen so far are saying a new batch will be available in a month to six weeks. Considering they started developing and talking about them over the last 6 years, that's not too long..

Currently for me, it's a race between when I get my new plane and when I get a raspberry Pi xD

I believe that I'll get both in about a month or so. The plane order is on backorder due to a couple of items, as is the Farnell order I have which has multiple items (think I'd only get a Raspberry Pi? ;P ) some of which has already had an attempted delivery. I now need to pick it up from the courier's workshop.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all