Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DIY Radiator Stand

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: DIY Radiator Stand

So after a few hours in sketchup. I came up with this.

Inside the rad stand. You can see where the Rads go.

Outside the rad stand. Here you can see where the fan holes need to go.

I actually think I may be able to just cut the openings by hand and then just use some modders mesh to cover the holes. That will be way cheaper in the long run as I won't have to ship the plexi out and pay for a laser cutter and I can do it in 1 big piece.

More to come.

I run $1.50 a minute for laser time, plus materials and shipping. Turns out pretty reasonable for custom parts actually. If I have the materials in stock, and it's a scrap piece, materials cost is $1.

I like the idea of the stand so far. Only issue I'd see is you should consider some extra weight in the base. Maybe a brick, or a box to pour some concrete or sand into in the base. If it were my design, I'd probably start out with a frame made of aluminum channel, sandwich the radiators inside behind some plexi panels and hang push/pull fans on the outside.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Here is how I will cut the fan holes. All I did was make an X across where the fan hole needs to be (mounting hole to hole) and then drew a 2 5/8" hole there. Delete the parts that are outside the fan hole and there you have nice rounded corners. Should be easy enough to make if I take my time.

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    I run $1.50 a minute for laser time, plus materials and shipping. Turns out pretty reasonable for custom parts actually. If I have the materials in stock, and it's a scrap piece, materials cost is $1.

I like the idea of the stand so far. Only issue I'd see is you should consider some extra weight in the base. Maybe a brick, or a box to pour some concrete or sand into in the base. If it were my design, I'd probably start out with a frame made of aluminum channel, sandwich the radiators inside behind some plexi panels and hang push/pull fans on the outside.
    I see what you mean. I would really like to be able to have a push/pull config contained inside the stand.

As of right now the feet are 8" long and 2" wide.

Total dimensions are :
    1' 7" tall
    1' 5" wide
    4" deep (might make this 5 for thicker rads)

All materials are 1/4" thick acrylic.

Feet won't really be strong enough nor will the rest really.

Just think about water weight...

I agree with TLHarrell if you got some alu to make the frame it would be considerably stronger. I am thinking a broad thick bit of right angle channel to make the feet with some smaller for right angle for the frame. Then TLHarrell can make you up some fan grills per say and I would also say ask him to make up the pieces for a reservoir down the bottom because that would weight down the entire thing nicely while being a practical use of space.

Also I am sure shipping would be only one way and it would be flat packed too so shouldn't be a ridiculous amount. Much better than trying to get precise cuts yourself or find someone else who will do it for such a bargain price.

Shut up and take my money!

I would almost think of doing two panels, and encasing the rad and fans between them, having a solid block under them for weight and to hold them up, and then checking out some of TL's awesome fan grills he's coming up with That guy has some serious talent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

The main problem would be then finding someone to cut the alu frame. Parts + labor need to be less than $80 because thats how much the rad stand would cost me to buy.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Talked to TL?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Talked to TL?
    He can not do it in 1 piece as I would like.

Hmm maybe this won't happen. Materials alone I'm looking at about $53 (all 1/8" alu). So I don't think I can get this done in another $30 unless I can score a nice discount somewhere.