Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: really cool temps (literally)

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Default Re: really cool temps (literally)

Nope, ambient temps in my computer room are around 70F/24C. I'm sure part of it is that my rad is a blackice stealth 360, but it's also likely that the software is reading the temps wrong. Still, the lowest it gets is 8C; when I start up a web browser (like right now) or other program it'll bounce between 8C and 26C. Haven't tried a game yet to see what that does; I would expect when more voltage is run thru the CPU the temps will jump.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Sounds like a bad sensor. Not a chance even the best air or water cooling setup will drop your temperature to below ambient room temperature. That would require you to break the laws of thermodynamics, and may void your warranty.

It may be a bad connection, somewhere more or less resistance than what it should have, or maybe it's getting current induction from a power cable? I'd check the entire sensor loop. I'd also swap some sensors around to verify if one's gone wonky.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    That would require you to break the laws of thermodynamics, and may void your warranty.
    Almost sig-worthy...
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

My atom CPUs on my server (I use them mostly for minecraft and similar things) idle at around 8° C, but they're in a 40°F room. The laptop hard drives run at around 26°C (10° below the average for that model).
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

my i7-960 OC'd to 4GHz runs at ~56ºC while under 100% load from folding and idles around ~30ºC. Ambient temp in the room is ~25ºC

I'm guessing my temp sensors for some reason are about 25C off. No idea why, but every temp monitoring program I've tried shows the same readings. Gonna check the bios in a sec...

*just checked it. It's showing CPU temp @ 30C. That sounds more like it...but why would temp monitor programs in Windows show erroneous readings if the BIOS has it right?

See if the temp monitor program has an offset that's been entered for the sensors? Either that, or the program is whacked and not parsing the data from the board right.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Custom Title Honors

I didn't see the program for monitoring posted. Is it possible they aren't made for the FX line yet?

I know some of them that I had used in the past would be OK on my dual core but not on a quad. Or for specific lines in the core2duo/quad series (at that time).

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

whoops, forgot to post which programs I'm using. I've installed CPUID and Coretemp, both of which show the exact same readings. Coretemp has adjustable offsets while CPUID doesn't. but, I don't want to add an offset when I don't know for sure what it is. I'd say it's entirely possible they haven't been updated for the FX's yet - I've downloaded the newest versions of each but the readings didn't change from the prior versions. Guess I'll have to wait...unless anyone knows of another program that does read the FX sensors right?

Custom Title Honors

When you say CPUID, is that CPUID's Hardware Monitor Pro v1.19? There notes state it is for AMD Opteron Interlagos and Valencia (Bulldozer). BUT depending on when you bought the processor, it may be a Zambezi (which is based off bulldozer but doesn't appear to be the same).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldoz...rchitecture%29

Not sure how legit this review is. lol as irony sets in.
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1741/18/

They state they use Core Temp 1.0, BUT what didn't make sense to me was this.
    "The ambient air temperature in the room was 70F or 21C. We used Core Temp to monitor the temperatures and as you can see from the image above the low was 6C and the high was 46C. AMD says the maximum safe temperature to run any FX-series processor at is 61C, so the standard air cooler that comes with the retail processors is more than enough to keep it nice and cool."

Question, if you are testing with the OEM cooler, how is the low they seen 6c when the room temp was 21c?

I think the monitors just need more time to catch up.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::