Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water Cooling Turbine

Default Re: Project: Water Cooling Turbine

Well, here is tonight's update.

I stopped picked up some semi-translucent plastic as a backer for the bottom section,

I cut it to shape and set it aside.

Then came the task of cutting all the small strips to add to the sides.

Too bad half way thru, I almost sliced the end of my left middle finger off. I was holding a straight edge and pulled a razor blade right across the tip. -I didn't get any photos.

Then I glued the sides, front and back together and added some gussets for strength.

Then I glued on the little strips:

then I glued it to the tube:

Then just for fun, I checked to see how the tubing would look:

Thats it for now. Tomorrow I'm going to get working on the cover that goes over the radiator.

Later,

Thanks for everyones encouragment on this! I really appreciate it.

So, as promised, here is another update.

I had some blue CC tubes that I never turned on inside my case, so I took those out to use in the base. They will only light up the base area. with that Translucent plastic film I showed earlier.

Then I worked on the front and back of the cover for the radiator:

Here is a shot installed on the tube.

Then for grins, I hooked up the fans to test airflow. WOW does having two of those fans move a lot of air!!! It literlly felt like a vacume at the front of the tube. Here is a shot with the flash on:

and with the flash off, The bright blue really washes out the image. I will have to play with the settings to try and get a better shot.

Thats if for a few days, I am going on vacation tomorrow and won't be back untill this weekend, So everyone take care, Later!

Hi everybody, I'm back from our Vacation. Unfortunaly my wife's father passed away while we were gone, so we had to cut our trip short. I still managed to find a little time to get a little modding done, so here it goes.

Here is a shot of the sides attached to the radiator housing:

and some braces on the bottom:

Then I mocked up the removable top:

and here it is all together:

Then I turned my attention to the 3 tapered rails that run along the tube.
    I used a thin sheet of plexi sandwiched between two plate sheets.

I left a recessed in the bottom edge of the rail:
    \

The recess area is for the glow wire I purchased.

Here are some shots of it lit up:

And with the lights out:

Then pictures really dont' do it justice. it is much brighter than shown in the pics and looks great!

One down, 2 more to make, then I can mount them on the tube.

Thanks everybody, dgrmkrp, You are right, there is a cap on both ends that does hinder the airflow into the fins. however after testing the airflow and feeling how much air moves thru the tube when both fans are running, I thing it will be ok. There is a ton of air moving.

as for how its going to tie into the case... I'm not really sure yet. I have some ideas for the case, but for now I'm just concentrating on the top. FYI, my current computer case is all aluminum silver and clear plexi with blue lights everwhere.
    here is a shot:

so obvously, that will be next.

I had some time to get some stuff done this afternoon. I ended up getting alot more done than I thought I would have.

I finished making the other two light rails.

I got both sides of the back tube wraped in the trim.

then before mounting the rails, I took a piece of plexi and melted it to match the ouside of the curve for the main window.

as I heated it with a torch, I used tape to help pull it down to match the tube.

This is the final shot with it all taped down ready to cool.

Then it came time to fit the light rails.

I had to add trim to the intake end of the tube:

then I cut a slot for the wire to tranition from on rail to the next. the other transition happens inside the back box.

here is a light rail attached to the side

with the lights off

so what do you guys think?

Up next comes some serious thought as to the size and shape of the window and how I will cover the edge to make it look good.
    I know I have to order more glow wire so I might get some other goodies too.

untill next time,

Tonight I added a cover over the glow wire in the front, although its hard to see being white, the flash kind of washed it out.

Then I laid out the shape of the tube window:

and using a dremel, I cut it out:

here is the final window:

Here is the piece of plexi I heated and bent to match the tube:

and here it is taped to the tube:

Just for fun I installed the blue CC lights and tested the cover for the bottom.
    I think it is alittle too bright. I might have to come up with something a little less intense for the bottom light.

I then traced the shape of the window onto the plexi and covered it in tape to protect it.

Cut it out:

So my final thoughts on the window were to "MAYBE" laser etch something in the plexi. lets say TBCS? or logo or something. I'm not sure yet.

happy modding, later!

You are correct, Spawn, I don't wan't to see any brown tubing. I'm trying to figure out how to install the window and still paint it. Like I said earlier, I may be forced into painting sooner than I had hoped.

Just as small update tonight.
    I started to trim the underside of the front. You won't see it much, but in my opinion, attention to detail everwhere counts!

Here is what started with, I added a few trim pieces around the edges:

Then I simply added a few layers of board down cut to random shapes. Note: this area will not have any glow wire.

The only other thing I got done was to rough up the surface for the other side of the tube:

Like I said, just a small update tonight, I'm waiting on the extra glow wire that should be here Thursday.
    and an update on doing the laser etching. I will have to wait on that. they guy that I know that has access to it teaches at a local high school and he informed me that he won't have access untill school starts, which is at the end of august.

later,

I just had an idea, but I"m not sure how to go about doing it.

Basically I want to add some led's under the tube instead of the cc tubes that are too bright. I found these 2 color leds: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18...l?tl=g6c77s665

my idea would be to have several of these wired up below the tube and would start out as blue when the liquid is cool. they would be hooked up to a controller that would slowly change them over to the red as the water temperature went up. then as needed if the water temp went down, they would return to blue.

anyone know how to accomplish this. I'm not very good at creating ic circuits. I can do basic soldering, but circuit design is not my fortay!

first off i want to know if you think you can solder something like this.. its the basic version, fades a bicolor led from 1.2 to 12V, we would manage that with a ntc and some stuff more.

i think this would take some more time, so are there bipole leds avaiable? cuz this circuit works like this i think
    0V= led got power from the upper pin.
    power rising to 12V= power fades to the lower pin(upper pin goes ground)
    so i think youll need a bipolar led which is pin 1 red and pin 2 green or sumething
    dunno yet, gonna find that out 4 ya