Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water Cooling Turbine

Default Re: Project: Water Cooling Turbine

Here is tonights update. I started to layout the framework for the recessed glow wire lighting on the back side of the tube:

Then I taped the glow wire along next to it just temporarily.

Here is the framework all finished: -note: wire has been removed.

and here it is at night:

Then I proceded to layer the covers over the top of the wire:

and her is the effect it gives. The picture really does not show how bright it its. you can see how the glow lights up the other "layers".

I am going to finish the covers and add more layers as I see fit. but the wire will be removed for painting. After its painted, I can run the wire back around the path and tuck it in between the tube and the first layer of cover. but the entire thing will be hidden. all you will see will be the glow radiating out from behind the multiple different layers.

What do you think?

ok, here we go...

I finished doing right side of the turbine tube:

Here is a close up:

Then I moved to the other side:

Here it is finished.

The glow wire on the window side will follow the shape of the window and be concealed by a trim ring. I still have to add a little detail to its surface and I can't install it untill I get it painted:

Speaking of paint. I started to mask off the 3 light bars on the tube. I had to cut a long strip of masking tape to a very thin piece, so I used my stripe cutter from my Airplane modeling days.

here is a piece of mask on the top section:

I finished the other 2 sections with mask and now its ready for paint.
    My son's birthday is tomorrow so I probably won't get anything done untill after he goes to bed, So I may or may not have another update tomorrow night.

Later,

NQ, thats ok, no offense taken.

Thanks for the reps and positive comments guys!

Here we go again,

Ask and you shall receive, you wanted to see it painted, here it is in black. BORING black base coat. I have a lot more air brushing to do, but for now I just applied the base coat.

While the body was drying I turned my attention to the supports for the resevoir inside. I cut and glued up some strips of plastic.

Then I used my dremel and a sanding drum to rough out the shape:

The shape is meant to look kind of like an airplane wing so air will flow smoothly around them.

I covered it in fine filler:

Then I used my straight edge sanding block to smooth it out:

here is the final piece:

I have to cut it into 6 sections to use around the resevoir. I also have to figure out how I'm going to attach them to the resevoir. so for now, thats it.
    Cheers!

Once again, here is the nightly update:

Tonight I decided to turn my attention to building the LED light bar for the "Fuel Tank". Here are the Leds and Resistors I got from LSDiodes.com

I started by cutting 2 strips and drilling small holes in them equally spaced for the leds.

Then I added a thin plastic spacer to act as an insulator between the wires.

Here it is with the led's in place.

and here is the negative side wired together.

Here is the positive side soldered together with the resistors.

Here is a test. They all light up. Excellent the third one from the right on the bottom seems like its not as bright as the others. I might have to replace that one.

I put it under the tube and put the translucent cover in place.
    OH NO! it looks like ****! The led's have too great of a spot light effect and leave very distinct bright spots. I hate it!

Looks like I may be going back to the cold catholdes, they were a little bright, but atleast it was uniform light.

What to do.....?

well, +rep to Sgtm for the first to suggest sanding the tops of the led's, that worked great! Thank you.

I tried it on the left one first.

Before:

After: Very nice and diffused!

And here it is on the body: Much smoother glow, it still has a few "hot" spots but deffinetly not as bad. I can live with that.

I added a little detail and rivits to the window trim and tube: -I know it looks like alot, but after airbrushing, they will fade away an be hardly noticed.

I also painted the frame on the exhaust fan.

Then I cut the supports for the resevoir to 3 equal lengths to fit inside the tube:

here they are as a mock up holding the resevoir centered in a spare piece of the tube:

I have to notch the end of each one to fit around the chrome mounting ring.

One down, 5 more to go...

Quote Originally Posted by elbarto241 View Post
    imagine if you transfer this genius onto a case
    Actually I do have plans to continue this design into a case. Basically everything will be hidden behind panels that light up and be motorized to expose the case and inside. It will be crazy! Not to mention how much work it will be getting all the motorization working.

There are 4 seperate motorized items:
    1. Doors that open to a blow hole in the front
    2. A dvd burner that motorizes up from the top to expose the slot loading mechanism
    3. Motorized flip over panel to acces the fan controller, memory card reader and light switches
    4. Some type of covering over the side window to expose a side fan and inside of the case. (still working on the design for this)

But first things first. I have to finish the cooling system, then I can start on the case.

Like I said, its still in design phase. I only have a model to show the movable parts. so picture this case covered similar to the turbine only you won't be able to tell a difference between where the openings and movable parts are and the stationary sections are.

Here it is with everything closed.

And here it is open:

here is another angle to show the twin intake fans and the side fan.
    The around the side fan will be clear plexi so you can see the inside of the case.

The pop-up slot load dvd player may interfere with the turbine on top (not shown obviously) -so I might have to move it.

Probably put some type of logo on the front of the case in that big blank area, but not sure what yet.

But that gives you guys something to "Drool" over. LOL

ok, the vicodin seems to help alot so I got alittle work done tonight.

here is a shot of the fan I painted: Not exactly thrilling, yet...

I figured I'd play around with the airbrush tonight so here is what I did.

I took the trim piece for the window and taped off a few areas and painted some rust color:

then I added some silver and tan:

Followed that up with a little back drybrushing:

And here is the final piece:

So what do you guys think? I still have to do soemthing with the rivits but I have to get a fine paint brush. I was just playing around so I'm not sure if I like the colors. I think it looks pretty good, just not sure If I will like it if the whole thing looks like this. But then again, I wanted a rustic, weathered look to a metal structure so I think I hit it pretty good. Comments?

I've been really busy the last few days and haven't had a chance to get much done, so just a small update for now.

I started to airbrush the main body. Here it is with some of tape for the different colors and pieces:

and here it is with the tape pulled off (Not Finished)

I went to remove some of the tape to get a feel for the whole thing (Not finished yet) and it started to remove some of the paint. looks like I will have to fix that.

I also got the other sections of the resevoir supports made. I forgot to take a picture though. Maybe tomorrow night I will get them mounted to the resevoir brackets and can test fit it in the tube. I noticed somethign else I completly forgot about while working. The led light bar I instaled on the bottom of the tube goes right thru where the tubes from the resevoir are supposed to come thru the bottom. Again, I'll have to redo this area somehow.

Hi everyone, Sorry its been a while, been busy going to the doctors but lastnight I got some more done.

I finished painting the main round part of the body. I still have to figure out the back half.

Unweathered:

Weathered:

Then I glued the window in place:

I also started to run the el wire around the window:

I have an issue with the el wire for the other side, It has a bunch of dark spots in the wire. however when I bend the wire, they move. its like the el is not working correctly. Not sure what the problem is. I may have to replace this piece. good thing is its only tucked in behind the trim work.

Some night shots:

FYI there are 3 el wires all together.

I should be able to finish the el wire around the window and isnstall the trim ring next. After that, I can concentrate on getting the resevoir mounted.

LOL, looking at these pictures, I just realized that I forgot to paint the rivits. DUH.

TTFN