Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That's messed up

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default That's messed up

The pics from my TBCS review have been used in someone else's eBay auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: That's messed up

messed up, but sort of funny too.

Maybe they don't have a camera. Or maybe their pics just turned out really crap. Your pics are very nicely done.

I wouldn't take it personally, unless they're stealing your bandwidth to serve them, or they're running some sort of scam. In the case of hosted pics, switch them out temporarily with something with a fat watermark saying the pics are stolen.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

You can complain on ebay about it

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I'd report the listing to ebay. Sometimes, they actually do something about it.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

I don't think it really matters. The photos in reviews are for the most part for visual display and don't contain any intellectual property rights. Unless the photos are done for the sake of art/photography they are likely fair game. I'd take it as a compliment, it means the photos were useful and appreciated.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I think that, in general, if a person takes a photo, that it is their IP. There doesn't have to be anything proprietary in what they are photographing or in the equipment used, technique, lighting, etc. It's their IP because they took the photo. It's that simple.

The same goes for something written. I am constructing this argument with words I did not create or invent, and in a language I did not create. And I am writing in no particular way that someone else couldn't, through their own logic, construct the same sentences. Still, because I have written these words they are now my IP and someone using them, or even the ideas contained in the sentences, should (in theory) give the credit to the original author (me).

The fact that TGS has photos that look nice, but also look like photos of an item in someones home, are the exact sort of value that the ebayer wants in his listing, as it builds trust in the buyer. However, they seller does not own the photos and they are not of the item listed. The fact that they aren't the seller's photos is enough that they should be taken down. He does not own the photos and TGS didn't give him permission to use them. I think it might be irritating if someone used the photos on some other site to show some detail that wasn't captured by the normal publicity photos, because the person should take their own photos or at least get permission, but in this case I think it is even more offending because TGS' photos are adding value to his listing. It is a commercial gain. If I saw this listing for the same price as one that used stock photos of the laptop and the two were at the same price, I would buy the one with TGS' photos in it because I would think that I am looking at the actual item I am going to receive, when in fact, I am not.

It is both theft and deception. Sure, both minor accounts, but that's what it is.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I did message him and complain to eBay. Unfortunately, eBay couldn't do much because the auction ended just 5 hours later. The seller told me that his camera was broken so that's why he took mine. Plus, he claimed that they were on the internet and thus free game.

He right-clicked and saved them to his system and then uploaded them to ebay. He didn't hot-link them from TBCS. Maybe, next time we'll put TBCS logo's on them all.

I actually discovered them while searching for my laptop on ebay to get a feel for how they're selling. If I do decide to sell mine then it looks like I stole his photos and didn't just reuse mine.

Lucky for me, no one like me has this same laptop with 8GB or RAM and a 120GB SSD
    Last edited by TheGreatSatan; 03-19-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Now I know.

Watermarks.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I wonder if TBCS can toss a slight watermark on all photos hosted at the site? Something automatically scripted. Anything you upload would get a TBCS logo and web address along the bottom at about 90% transparency. Photos you link from elsewhere would be skipped.

Just a thought.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin