Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bombproof Builders Desk....Build

Default Re: Bombproof Builders Desk....Build

Ok New update, while I am still wrangling with Cad I decided to start working on the layout of the custom printed vinyl layout for my desk top. As I have said before it will be Mech Warrior themed as that is my favorite gaming franchise and with the advent not or 2 but 4 new Mechwarrior games in the works I couldn't think of anything more appropriate. So right now I am going to be doing some test runs with the artwork and sizing for the areas I have to work with. First up I have the Map of the entire Inner Sphere which I got from the MechWarrior Online art page. I blew it up to 30' tall by 47' and printed it on some heavy duty paper, this is just to see how the artwork looks at this resolution I have not vectored or tweaked it yet but its always important to test print as you never know what you aren't seeing on your monitor.

Doing a rough trim.

Next tape it down to let it stretch a little and offgas.

This is the area I want to put the map on.

Do the final trim.

And check how it lays out.

Ok I am getting alot of pm's for a update so here is what I have so for in Sketchup (I switched from free CAD due to the huge amount of models available in sketchup) I will be using either a bench hinge or piano hinge (I am open to suggestions) The model is missing several components at the moment, I couldnt find the right fittings to go between the vid cards and I have no idea how to make tubing yet (still new with digital design stuff) I am using 7970's with EK blocks but that could change depending on parts sourcing ect... I am going to do the entire desk and then make the cad file available to anyone who wants it. The plan is to run a long loop to the radiator with enough flex for it to open or create a joint with 2 off valves and a quick disconnect in between. I am open to idea's for alternate whats to setup the WC loop or any suggestions in general, I want this to be as awesome as possible. I am also going to try to get sponsors for the next stage of the build so hopefully I can take this build up another notch!

Feel free to post questions and critiques and thanks for all of the response guys!

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Love the setup. + rep

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Show-off

Seriously, though:
    Good luck!
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Thanks guys, I will have a couple other layout variants posted as soon as I finish them then see what everyone thinks is going to work best.

Looks great! I think I'm gonna based my desk/workbench supports off of yours. What brand are those monitor mounts?
    Jon

I hate HP. Yet here I am, using a HP G60 Series notebook with an HP desktop sitting at my home desk.... But the best part is that it was all free. Now slowly switching to Dell stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Short Modder View Post
    Looks great! I think I'm gonna based my desk/workbench supports off of yours. What brand are those monitor mounts?
    Wow thanks for the compliment! I actually would not recommend those mounts (I went with these instead of the mounts I had used 3 times before) and I totally regret it the quality is not on the same level, these are servicable at best. I would recommend these http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Monitor-S...=34YQS6RS69GBE I have owned 3 of them and they are exceptional and mount the same way, they also make a 27 inch monitor version if you need that. I will have the entire desk build in Sketchup pretty soon so hit me up and I will get you a full 3d model to scale.

I made the Rog mod roundup, soooo cool! http://rog.asus.com/97282012/news/ma...-mods-roundup/

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Love how the motherboard is upside-down!

If anything leaks, it won't hit the electronics!

Are you WCing the 360?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I thought about it but its not worth it in the end, I am just going to have a ton of fans blowing on it plus its actually the slim (couldnt find any to scale models of it) so its really smaller and runs cooler than what is seen in the sketchup shots.)