Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bombproof Builders Desk....Build

Default Re: Bombproof Builders Desk....Build

Stonerboy, that is a very interesting hinge you have pictured there, I have been considering several different cabinet hinges but I had not really thought about going for a full 180 degree hinge. I just measured the area next to the desk, there is just enough room for the lid to completely flip I have about 1/2 an inch to spare so thats def. a option. Fuganater I have been planning on using a L brace like that since the get go (PC builders think alike ) those ones look like exactly what I need. Thanks for the link!

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Glad to help a bit. Hoping to see more work on this soon.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I personally would go with gas struts of some sort. They come in MANY different lengths and weight capacities. They also just snap on and off for easy removal

Many types of cabinet door hinges will unclip and pop off. The ones used on IKEA cabinets do this. There are also a wide variety of hinge geometry available for different door setups, whether the doors overlay the cabinets, or are placed inside of the cabinets. They also have a lot of adjustment. There are also soft-closing variety and some with spring holds so the door will stay up when opened. Not a bad way to go. Check your local REAL hardware store or woodworking supply for the best selection.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Sorry for the Delay guys, this project is still ongoing, however I have been absolutely slammed with work and some personal life drama, I also wanted to switch over to a video update format and have been hunting for the right HD camcorder (think I have found it in the Sony CX260V) So expect a Video update soon. Until Then heres a teaser for some of the goodies I have been gathering for the build.

Ok guys, I have been working 14 hour days so no build updates but the parts are still rolling in here is another sampler pic or 2.

Ok guys here is my first crack at a video update, let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uCend4X3T8&feature=plcp

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Nice. I like the mic on your shirt, makes it really easy to understand you. Lighting is good. Overall a good video. Although I'd skip the beer in the begining lol.

Can't wait to see more on the desk.

Ok guys I shot a video update but I am having issues with it unfortunately so here is a regular old update.

Ok so I have been on a backup rig for over 2 months now and it has been killing me. So I now have most of the components I am planning on using in the desk build, so I threw all of them into a Bitfenix Shinobi XL case to test all of the components and make sure I am happy with the performance and everything works before I go through the trouble of mounting it up. This is just a temp build so its not my prettiest work.

Also I managed to snag a Dell 30 inch 2560x1600 to replace my triple monitor setup. I freaking love it! I may go up to three of them but at the moment 1 is enough. Specs for the system are as follows

Intel 2011 8320 w/ XSPC Raystorm waterblock

MSI Big Bang II Mobo

Gigabyte 7970 with EK Acrylic waterblock and backplate

G-Skill 16gb 1866 ram

Swiftech 360mm rad with gentle typhoons in a push configuration

Swiftech 240mm rad with Noctua fans in a pull configuration

Swiftech Pump with XSPC res.

Koolance 3/8 ID and 5/8 OD compression fittings

Corsair 1000w PSU

Asus Blu Ray drive

Crucial M4 256 SSD

WD Green 2TB Media Drive

Ok Guys I am ordering more parts for the build however I will not be posting much till the beginning of September as I have a huge workload to get done before I head to PAX Prime I will be going full steam ahead on the project when I get back. Thanks again for everyone following the build I will try to get the video update redone and working in the next few days though.

Those monitors are awesome. I've got one too. Makes even my G11 keyboard look tiny.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin