Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bombproof Builders Desk....Build

Default Re: Bombproof Builders Desk....Build

This Build still lives but there have been some changes, including a second PC. Here are some screenshots for what I have planned

More to come soon.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

How are you going to access the 2nd PC?

Interesting idea. I am with Fuganater. Is that a freestanding wall? If it is.. why not put it under glass and showcase it? Make a shadow box inset into the wall and mount it all up. Grab some LED's and make it a conversation piece.

You could do something similar to this.

To jump straight to the action use this link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...B_5u2U#t=1131s

It is not a freestanding wall, that is the backside to one of the walls my desk is against and it is unfinished on the other side (Its the HVAC room for my House) I wanted to mount a PC out if sight for my second/backup/Guest rig. It will be hooked up tot he Dell 24 inch screen on the left of the bank of screens. Its also a change for me to test running a liquid cooled CPU and Vid Card upside down before I commit to it on the desk (I have a backup plan should it not work)

Edit: Very cool link btw

PLP? So awesome. I love PLP setups. I mean, I love my 3 1920x1200 monitors in portrait, but there are times I really wish one of them were in landscape.

Thanks, I actually went form a triple 1080p setup to this and I much prefer this, its so much more productive workspace.

Ok, sorry for not posting more details with the design updates guys, it was late and I had just gotten them done. Anywho So its been a couple months since my last update, between PAX, work and a unexpected medical issue I haven't been able to post much. However I have been making headway on the build so here is a list of some of the changes.

First off obviously is the monitor setup I have added 2 Dell 2007 1600x1200 monitors to my Dell 30 for a PLP setup, I have to say that out of all monitor configurations I have tried this is by far the one I prefer most it allows for crazy high levels of productivity without being crazy wide or narrow.

I also have a 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor to the left, that is for the next phase of my project. I am mounting a PC in the wall behind the Desk as the designs above illustrate. The room behind my office us unfinished as its where the HVAC is located in the house, so I decided to do something fun and interesting with this area as its basically used for just storage. The PC will be mounted on a hinged board with dual triple rads bellow. The reasons I did this are threefold

1. As some people have brought out there may be issues running a liquid cooled rig in this horizantal configuration and before I go through the trouble of modifying my desk this way (I have a backup configuration) This will serve as a proof of concept build for the liquid cooling layout and help me work the bugs out in a more forgiving setup with cheaper components. And should it not work I will put it in the up position and be no worse off.

2. I will need another PC up and running ans I am modifying and building the desk rig so this will serve as my backup and interim rig.

3. It s a chance to do something cool and different with PC components, duh!

So the specs for this rig are

i5 2500K processor
    EVGA FTW mATX Mobo
    Koolance 360WB
    655 Pump
    AMD 6970 Video Card with Heatkiller waterblock
    2x 360mm slim rads
    8gb of G-skill 1866Mhz ram
    SeasonicX 750w psu

More coming soon, I am waiting for parts today and tomorrow, thanks for reading!

Ok guys, small update today but I can say that I will be posting more regularly as all of the parts I need for the next stage of the build are either here or in the mail. Anywho today was all not tech work on the desk. First off as this coffee stain will show you I need a better way to have beverages on my desk.

Enter the stainless steel 3 3/4 inch cupholders

They have a drain at the bottom that I will have a plug for, so should I spill a drink in the holder I simply put the trash bag bellow in and drain it.

I will be using my 3 and 3/4 inch hole saw for these. Costs alot of money but work every penny, remember modders, the right tool for the right task :thumb:

First one cut and mounted (sorry forgot to snap a pic before I put it in)

Then number 2

And Bam! 2 sexy additions to my already awesome desk

Ok, next up in anticipation of the 6970 and motherboard tray arriving for the wall PC part of the build I decided to mount the power and reset buttons for the wall PC. First off a strait edge to make sure my marks are right.

Then a couple of pilot holes.

Now the trick with these is to drill with 2 different size paddle bits from each side so I can get the mounting ring for the switches in the hole. So 3/4 inch in the front.

Then 1 inch in the back

Getting the rings to stay in place was a pain in the butt however my trusty leatherman came through for me on this one.

These were a bit of a hassle but I am really happy with how they turned out.

But now I have this awesome place to put my beer but I have to keep a tacky bottle opener lying around, cluttering up the top of my desk. Well I solved that problem today as well

One last piece of advice guys, when ever I mod I test, test, test :drink:

Expect another update in a week guys and as always thanks for reading!

Ok guys, small update, today I am back over at Bryans shop to get some parts fabbed up. Here we have the Plasma Cutter we will be cutting the parts out with.

And these are the items the parts are being made for.

Templates made up, its time to cut.

Smooth em out, and drill out the holes for attaching to the 2x4

Bend them to shape and I have some sweet purpose built Brackets to hang my Rad from.

Next up is a new triple rad template, as the compessed paper one I have is just not going to last. 16 Gauge steel, should last me the rest of my modding career

Went outside, and who do I see? Gerry! Man he has gotten big!

Ok so I will be having Bryan make alot more parts for me after the first of the year. But now onto the actual area I will be installing the wall PC into. Now, to be clear everything I am doing is just test fitting. I will be cleaning up the area and paint it as well.

Next up my 6970 came in and I got to slap my Heatkiller WB on it (Man I love the way these look)

Sorry I dont have more to show right now, I hurt my hand, and due to the holiday. I will have more soon and hopefully have the wall mount fabbed up in the beginning of january.

My new power supply showed up today Seasonic 1000w Platinum

This will be the PSU for the Trapdoor PC with the 750w Seasonic for the wall PC I will be Sleeving both of these PSU's and it will be my first time doing so. Thanks again for reading!