Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Universal Video Containment Device

Default Re: Universal Video Containment Device

Original keyboard and mouse would be of no use. Is the KB even PS2? Or older? Going to go with a wireless solution for navigation. Will likely add a USB gamepad inside as well for some simple front navigation/playback controls.

Since the entire case is itself basically a large Faraday cage, I'll have to be tricky with placement of wireless bits.

I'm thinking of stealing the AMD processor from my wife's old system. I'll have to see exactly what proc it is, and see if there's a Mini-ITX board that fits it that has decent onboard video output. 90% of the time, I'll be pushing lower end video. Occasionally I'll borrow/rent a Blu-Ray and will want that playback capability. Even an older desktop proc should be more than capable.

Got a slick idea for the metalwork. Once I've got the laser back up and running, I'll start on this idea. Gotta sort out a good way to do it with the tools I have. Might have to fabricate a jig, or rig up something sneaky.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

PS/2 KB and mouse.

I'd get a USB wireless card, with an extension cable.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

You can pick up a super cheap GPU for that if the mobo can't handle it. I've seen a GTX250 for about $30 and GTX450 for about $50

Nice. Question is, how tall are those cards? This case is so short that I cannot stand a hard drive on edge and close the case. Going to remove the existing motherboard standoffs to gain a tiny bit more room. That's my main concern here. Any card is going to be a PITA to install. The back of the case has three card slots that are horizontal. Dropping a mobo in it and sealing up the back isn't a big deal. Trying to install a card, any card, will require more metal work and lots of planning and careful measurement. I have no budget, so I can't buy a card and have it not work.

Fuganater: If you've got either one of those cards, can I get an exact measurement of their height when plugged into a board? Like from the top surface of the motherboard to the top edge of the card in decimal inches?

Found a couple on the 'Bay for fairly cheap... with HDMI:
    GeForceŽ GTS 250 Green 1GB(1024MB GDDR3)
    Galaxy NVidia GeForce 250 GTS PCI-E 512 MB DDR3 DVI native HDMI OUT

Although, this card looks like a much easier fit in the case:
    SPARKLE SXS250512D3L-NM GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

I'm actually wondering if I can heat up the socket on a motherboard and tilt it slightly. Hmmm....

AmEv: There are places on the case that are actually plastic. Antennae can be placed in these locations easily enough. I'll probably put a dedicated USB port into the front panel so a cheapo USB wifi module can be installed. Since it's going to reside right next to my DSL modem and wifi router, I'll probably not use wifi, but will account for it in the design. Same will go for the keyboard/mouse dongle. Dedicated USB port inside the plastic right up front. The case is really well suited to this setup. I'm a pro at being sneaky with wiring.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

This definitely would be a low-profile case. About the height of one.

Just remember, if you're not doing a complete re-model of the back panel, there are the PCIe extension cables. Because it's not a gaming card, you shouldn't notice too much of timing issues.

Such as this.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Interesting. I had no idea those existed, for the very reason you explained... longer pathway = delays. I may have to look into this. I could use a normal card. And not have to chop up the entire back end.

Got the laser back up and running. Gonna spend the rest of the night goofing off with this case.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Yea that sparkle one would work fine, it comes with a low profile bracket. Or a PCI-E flex riser like AmEv said.

Something like this one: http://www.logicsupply.com/products/pelx16j1_c10

Realized tonight that it would be a good idea for me to have some templates for various fan sizes. Well, I called up my favorite fabricator and they delivered a couple templates about 10 minutes later!

I normally would paint fill the text, but I went with a Sharpie just to make it quicker. Lines filled great. Text not so much. But I now have templates for 80mm and 120mm fans.

Getting the interior layed out. Interior baffle for the fans completed. Air will be drawn in through vents in the front half of the case, and will blow out the back half. Got fans ordered from EBay.

My first design for the top front intake grille. I like the overall layout, but I think the size needs some work. This grille will go on top of the case exterior. Below that will be mesh, then a piece for the screws to grab into.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

That case looks like an old Compaq that I have.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.