Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Universal Video Containment Device

Default Universal Video Containment Device

So, I took AmEv up on the offer for a freebie computer case. This hot little number really caught my eye as a good start for a home theater PC. It may be old, but it's definitely well built!

The box arrived today in good shape. Contents: Compaq ProLinea 4/33, partially stripped.

Current Plans: Home Theater PC
    I don't have any specific components yet in mind. Need to do more research, and need to get the case dimensions into CAD so I can start digitally fabricating.

Mini ITX motherboard
    Mini PSU
    Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Drive
    As many HDs as will fit
    Cold Cathode lighting
    Air cooled, quiet fans

Software loadout will likely be some form of Linux with HTPC software like XBMC or something. Due to the severely limited space, I'm not sure if I can get a discrete video card into here. Will certainly try to find something small enough. It just needs to push 1080p video and 5.1 audio. It needs to be able to have files pushed to it over the network. And it needs good mass storage. Separate drives is fine. RAID1 would be ok too.

The Theme:
    Industrial/Worn Out/Fallout-ish
    Steampunk

Not sure which way I'll go yet. Leaning toward Steampunk as I want to do a lot more of that style.

The Case:
    Exterior, a little banged up but in overall good shape.

The interior, and I'm already looking at component placement.

Found a really cool spot to stick a cold cathode. It fits perfectly inside the frame.

The front panel, stripped down and washed. Ready for planning. That CD drive opening does not fit a currently available drive. I'm not entirely sure what the slot with the button opening is for. Pretty sure video doesn't come in that format. And that power switch opening needs something big to fill it.

The case is going to need some cutting. Needs more air intakes. Needs more fans. It's a good platform to start from though. I'll give it one thumb up to start with.

Thanks to AmEv for supplying this case for review and gutting.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: Universal Video Containment Device

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what the slot with the button opening is for.
    That would be a floppy drive bay... -_^
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

+sub

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    That would be a floppy drive bay... -_^
    Not for long it isn't. Probably will end up being a hard drive bay. Although I sorted out how the floppy used to mount to the metal plate. Was pretty cool. Now it's out on my workbench with the rest of the guts. Didn't have much time tonight, but there's already been some carnage.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Already starting to like where this is headed, though.

What do you think of the HDD bay, though? Definitely could put rubber grommets in the holes.

Tri.fecta

Waves drill around.... "What HDD bay?"

Oh, that stuff in the corner assuming room temperature...? If I go with a Mini-ITX board, I can cram at least three hard drives in the thing... but the mounts will need to be fabricated from scratch. Same goes for the optical. Old style don't fit. Gone. Might reassemble part of it to beef up the structure of the front right corner of the case.

And I gotta think about some airflow. I'm thinking of thicker feet and bringing air in from underneath the front 1/3 of the case. Might be able to build an interior baffle and mount 3-4 80mm fans.

Well, not HDD bay, per se. The original hard drive was mounted on that plate that was to the left of the floppy bay.

Would a "vandal" type switch be big enough to fill the hole?

Tri.fecta

I'll probably drag the front panel with me this weekend and drive by my favorite surplus store to see if they have something sweet that is big enough. If not, I may custom fabricate something with a micro switch and some LEDs behind it. Maybe a double switch that does both power and reset...

Aw MAN! I just remembered, I still have the original keyboard, mouse, and monitor somewhere in the garage!

Not that you'd want the shipping of a CRT...<_< >_>

Tri.fecta

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

I'll be watching