Thread: Display Standard Rant

Default Display Standard Rant

I'm kind of upset today for a couple reasons.

1) Apple's addiction to proprietary display adapters, mainly because my friend just called me in tears because when she went to do her presentation today she had no way to hook her laptop up to the projector (our school is pretty good, and has display port/thunderbolt cables for their projectors) because her mac had a mini DVI port (circa 200 and she had no idea that she couldn't hook it up.

2) VGA... KILL THIS STANDARD PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The part of my laptop that has a gigantic vga port ( right next to the HDMI port) could be better dedicated to a 2nd usb 3 port, and a display port... theres no reason for VGA to still be relevant after 10 years. DVI, HDMI, and DP need to replace VGA.

3) Extreme cost of Ultra High res panels. 1920 x 1080 is wonderful.. for a 15 inch display... I had to hunt high and low to find a 13 inch laptop with a paltry 1600x900 resolution, and i wanted a 1080 panel on this small of a computer. For my desktop I want to see a 2560 x 1440 panel for less than $400... If you can cram that resolution into a 10" panel then why the hell can't i buy a monitor 24-30 inches that does the same thing without dropping $7-800 USD...
    Not dead yet

Default Re: Display Standard Rant

Agree with most, but #2, NO.

VGA is still required in many circumstances. Lots of companies still use it for hooking up to a projector. Literally every presentation I have given over the last couple of years (several dozens) would not have been possible without the VGA connector on my laptop. Most data centers still utilize the VGA port for KVM connections. None of my customers use dvi, display port or hdmi on systems in their data centers. All of them use VGA.

The only reason I have ever used the display port connector on a video card was to plug in a dvi adapter...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

I propose we SET a standard! Rather than eliminate an old and widely used one.

VGA/HDMI/No-Optical Drive.

• Everything old uses VGA, otherwise it needs to be updated to this side of the century.
    • Everything new uses HDMI.
    • Anything that requires an optical drive can be done using other methods, otherwise an external optical drive works just as well.

This little laptop has both HDMI as well as VGA. It takes next to no room, especially with the lack of optical drive. I'm prepared for any situation except the most unique of ones where I'm not to blame. The VGA port itself is relatively small too. It's only slightly bigger than the HDMI port.

So if a 13" laptop that's only an inch thick can fit both ports, I'm pretty sure every laptop should be able to do as much as well.

Maybe in another 10 years we can think about killing the VGA standard. But right now, you can find a VGA port on pretty much every device out there. Just about.

I would actually prefer a Display Port instead of HDMI, but that is due to the technology I work with.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

^Same here. DP carries a VGA signal.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I wish they would stop making different ends for what is essentially the same signal. You can plug a DVI into an HDMI and it carries sound and video... I prefer display port, but HDMI is more common for me. My laptop packs 2 USB2.0, 1USB 3.0, Card reader, VGA, HDMI, and audio along with an optical drive (which i'm planning to convert to an HDD bay when I have the $$ to purchase another SSD)
    Not dead yet

I have recently been running into DVI issues.

There are several connectors that do not match. This was supposed to be an "intelligent" connector. If it is so intelligent, one format would be plenty, but no lets make 5!

Dolts.

This is why I prefer Display Port.

I use displayport all the time too.

I agree with #3 completely. Why the heck are 16:10 monitors, and super high res monitors still so much money? I could get a whole bunch of ipad panels and DIY a big nine panel 30" eyefinity setup that's 6144x4608. That's more than my 3600x1920 and would take up less space. Oh well . . .

Whoever decided that having so many variations of DVI needs to be slapped with a bucket of a gross flavored jello. Maybe put raisins in it, because raisins ruin everything. ...except oatmeal cookies and raisin bran cereal.

It was frustrating as heck trying to find a DVI to VGA adapter for my laptop to my TV. Turns out... it just simply wasn't possible to begin with. But it was doubly annoying just because every adapter to be found was not what mine was.

DVI should be discontinued immediately. There are much better solutions anyways.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

The 6850?

One DVI-D Dual link, one DVI-I single link.
    Both the DVI-D dual link ports.

AMD.... -.^
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta