Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: what's your favorite childhood computer game?

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: what's your favorite childhood computer game?

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    Back in the old days my buddy got a nice 386. I was completely hooked on Wolfenstein 3D. We also had a blast double teaming on Mech Warrior, he would drive, I would "weapon dump" opponents in our fully decked out Battlemaster. Priceless.
    oh man, i remember doing that too. the controls were way too complicated for just 1 person, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    Chex Quest. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chex_Quest

I wonder why.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Apple ][+ forever lol.

I played Elite, Rescue Raiders, Star Blazer, lots of text games from "Adam's Adventures" and Infocom, Karateka, Archon, Bard's Tale, Autoduel, Stellar 7, Taipan, Galactic Empire, The first 4 Ultima games and first 5 Wizardry games ... so many others, so many bad/cheesy little crappy classic games I've forgotten.

Pretty much all of it copied at school or downloaded from a modem BBS, back before software piracy became illegal. So many 5¼" diskettes fulla good times.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    Yeah. I never played the original Doom. I was 10 when Chex Quest came out and my mom was pretty restrictive in the violent video games I could or could not play. But when Chex Quest came out, oh man. It may be the first game I ever beat . . .

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Since we've eliminated consoles, mine was Aztec, played from 5 1/4" floppies (with the notch cut out with a hole punch to make them double-sided) on various Apple II systems.

This game was bleeding edge, fellas. I was proud to have my pirated copy.

Edit: I also forgot about Archon for the Commodore 64.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Heh, notching double-sided floppies ... we actually removed the write-detect sensor/mechanism from a couple of disk drives in the school's Apple lab so that bastard math teacher wouldn't confiscate our games. If he caught us playing we'd be like "I found the game running on this computer without a disk".

Prior to that we had to jimmy open the locked file cabinet where all the confiscated goodies were kept, and that was a real pain. Archon and Archon II rocked, back when Electronic Arts (EOA) made *real* games instead of only sports stuff.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    Apple ][+ forever lol.

I played Elite, Rescue Raiders, Star Blazer, lots of text games from "Adam's Adventures" and Infocom, Karateka, Archon, Bard's Tale, Autoduel, Stellar 7, Taipan, Galactic Empire, The first 4 Ultima games and first 5 Wizardry games ... so many others, so many bad/cheesy little crappy classic games I've forgotten.

Pretty much all of it copied at school or downloaded from a modem BBS, back before software piracy became illegal. So many 5¼" diskettes fulla good times.
    AHH! I forgot about Wizardry. Those games were awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Ultima Underworld took up a huge amount of my life.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Can't forget the old star wars games, like Tie Fighter and X-wing. I bought a joystick just for those games. Spent HOURS flying around. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillington View Post
    Carmen San Diego, Oregon Trail, Putt Putt, the Magic School Bus games, Old I spy games. I wasn't on the computer much as a kid so what I played was mostly at school during free-time.
    Putt Putt! yes, how could i forget! oregon trail and carmen san diego, too.

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    I remember the magic school bus game on the human body. That was awesome. I also played Reader Rabbit games (the early ones, like 2 or 3), Gizmos and Gadgets (still awesome), Carmen San Diego, Treasure Mathstorm, and some Mercer Mayer and Busytown games.
    reader rabbit and treasure mathstorm were good, too.

And . . . how about Hover for Win95?
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    I used to play Zaxxon all the time. great game. Also frogger, digger, and q*bert. I remember playing wolfenstein 3d and thinking how amazing it was, also the old Commander keen games and duke nukem!! lol. I loved just about all the shareware games, though I never bought the full versions usually (except for wolfenstein and doom).
    DUKE FREAKIN NUKEM! yes.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all