Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: what's your favorite childhood computer game?

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: what's your favorite childhood computer game?

I've got Hover installed on my XP machine....

What say we mod it and make it multiplayer?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Doom
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

I played many games during my childhood, and while I cannot narrow my list to a single game, my favorites were definitely those made by Apogee Software and Epic Megagames, two companies that were very influential in the early-to-mid 1990's in that they helped to popularize the concept of "shareware." I played nearly every single game that those companies made, but some of my favorites were Bio Menace, Commander Keen, and Jazz Jackrabbit, because of their graphics, their music (and those games had some very awesome music; Bobby Prince was a very skilled composer), and the overall entertainment of the experience of playing them. Those games provided me with hours of fun and enjoyment when I was younger.

There were other games not made by those companies that I also enjoyed, notably VGA Miner (which I found to be very challenging and complex), Scorched Earth (which, despite its primitive graphics and sound, was very enjoyable), and Super Fly (a game where the player must rid a house of a infestation by flies and other vermin). That last game, Super Fly, was written by a single person, and I recently learned that that person lives in the same state as me, so I may attempt to visit them and see if they remember that game. That would be very interesting, in my mind.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

I have Alex Something-or-other alien-shooter-something from Apogee I got from a used computer....

Not my type of game, so tat's why I can't remember the name.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus Technochicken's Avatar

For me, it's Speedy Eggbert, which is a 2D sidescroller. I played it recently, and even though the controls are a bit clunky by today's standards, it's one still really fun.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

oh, and reader rabbit
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

My childhood favourite was super Mario and I use to play it almost the whole day.
    Read the TOS for rules concerning links in signatures...

Super Mario 64 was my favorite childhood computer game. I spent countless hours on that game to try and beat it.
    Please read the TOC regarding links in signatures.

Some of us older members (lol.. I'm only 32) are looking at things like Snes and N64 games, and thinking how "recent" those really were.

A lot of the old shareware diskette games were not where I started, Commander Keen and Jazz Jackrabbit were into my teenage years in fact. I actually had a Commodore VIC20, with a cassette drive. Pacman! I also had a ColecoVision system as a young kid; the baseball game was a blast! The controllers were HUGE too.

I have loads of memories of playing Wolfenstein/Doom on the PC (ca. 1994, when I got my first "REAL" 486 PC), then into Quake when it came out. I was onto a P100 by then! w00t!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

My first computer was a Tandy 1000. Like a boss.

I remember spending hours playing atari at my friend's house. good times. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER