Thread: Windows 8 consumer preview

Default Windows 8 consumer preview

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default Re: Windows 8 consumer preview

You've gotta be kidding me...........
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

What's the problem? I feel as though they've made a handful of great improvements since the developer preview.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

The problem is that it's not enough to justify a whole new OS. Rather than sending out a nice update they launch a new operating system. It's starting to get ridiculous. How long will it last? Should we "W8" for Windows 9?
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

The only advantage I see that Windows 8 has is the ARM port.

BUT.....

It takes 16+ GB just on the OS installation!

SO....

That 8GB Windows Phone you got? It ain't gonna be running windows 8!
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Window 8 has most of the features adopted from window 7.
    New features are like disappear from this version of window and it takes too much space on the drive. Little bit slow as compare to other versions of windows.
    The only thing i like in this version of windows is Graphical user interface that is much better as compare to other OS.
    Please read our guidelines on links in signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    It takes 16+ GB just on the OS installation!
    The usual test, for me (after finished installing all drivers, DirectX, required runtimes and components, virus/malware scanners, updating the hell outta everything, etc) is forcing the OS to disable every setting which supports any form of caching and swapping, then opening the main OS-integrated apps (Explorer, IExplorer, WMP). Everything must basically be run entirely in physical RAM, what's the minimum amount of RAM you can install without having the OS choke apart when manipulating a large file in Notepad? On Win95C it's about 16MB, on Win98SE about 64MB, on WinXP-SP2 about 1GB, on Vista about 8GB. Win7 anomalously takes a step backwards to about 4GB.

The latest-greatest iteration is bloated to 16GB? No surprise to me. The next one will require 32GB or 64GB, depending on how many years it takes to be released.

I'm making up the Gates Corollary: "The bloat in Windows will expand, doubling and redoubling the minimum and recommended system requirements with each new release, thus ensuring maximum compatibility with the hardware trends predicted by Moore's Law."

If Microsoft sells you a lightweight OS or app suite then you'll be able to keep using it after you upgrade your computer, they'd much rather you purchase it all again each time your hardware evolves. Microsoft must dream of the day when every computer in the world is bonded with a registered purchased/licensed non-transferable copy of Windows, I'm half-surprised they don't somehow encode it directly into the x86 mobo firmware yet. It's the only approach for building "fixed" lifespan into the product, hackers can eventually defeat any requirements imposed by the software, but they cannot use software to code complete platform upgrades to their hardware.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

-.- I meant in HDD space....
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta